Dear collectors...ask Herpa. - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Dear collectors...ask Herpa.

Hi.
This wants to be an inclusive thread, NOT A WISH LIST (who intends it like a wish list is asked not to post here)!
A thread where we all can reach a summary of the models/airlines/liveries to ask Herpa.
Many years ago we posted our opinions in the "Most Wanted" threads, including polls; but times change and maybe the polls on various models are no more representative and popular, even because it is not good just one collector decide which models to aks Herpa.
This thread is exactly what needed to make a SUMMARY among our suggestions.
I will explain it better.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby
Re: Dear collectors...ask Herpa.

Ale, I really admire your determination but I really don't think this makes sense for a few reasons:
-How many active members are there on Wings900 on how many will have the same model wishes? Maybe 20? That's really an insignificant amount to put pressure on Herpa.
-You tried countless times to ask Herpa to produce an infinite number of aircrafts and liveries without succes.
-Companies certainly appreciate suggestions from their customers but if they're flooded by request it will just interfere with their day to day operations.
-Herpa has a product development and marketing team who decides which liveries they will release, based on costs and expected profit. If they don't have (yet) released model X or Y there's probably a good reason for them. You are not a marketeer and not working for Herpa so you cannot predict if a particular model will be successful.
-The whole market is based on offer and demand. If demand is too low Herpa won't be able to cover their production cost so they simply won't release that particular model. It's not because you and a few other collectors really want a particular model that it will be a profit-maker for Herpa.
-We all have personal wants and wishes (except you who wants all aircrafts that have ever flown) and simply might nit be interested at all in a particular proposition.
-Wings900 is not anymore the place to be for the 1:500 collector. I wouldn't say that the forum is dying but it currently only represents a fraction of Herpa's customers.

Remember: Herpa is a company trying to make profit. Their role is not to satisfy all your wishes.

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:26 AM   #3
ATP Captain

cathay250 is a top dogcathay250 is a top dogcathay250 is a top dogcathay250 is a top dogcathay250 is a top dogcathay250 is a top dogcathay250 is a top dogcathay250 is a top dogcathay250 is a top dogcathay250 is a top dogcathay250 is a top dog

I wonder if we should flip this from a wish list idea to asking for specific reasons why certain “big gaps” exist in the scale?

For example Ryanair / EasyJet .... is it still licensing? How come they were able to produce Ryanair in the past?

There are some large operators who have 0 recent coverage in 1/500 which I’d be interested in getting more understanding why. That could be a useful exercise if Herpa is able to give specific feedback.

Southwest - we were last told no licence anymore right? Is this still the case, or was it actually In the past they didn’t feel it was worth it to maintain the licence as they had done all the liveries of the time. Now there is a new livery and 2 new aircraft types: 737-800 / MAX. But maybe Herpa feels it’s too US domestic and would not be of interest to worldwide collectors? But they do JetBlue....

Virgin Atlantic - with no other company having an A350 mould, who is going to do the VS A350-1000! Is it time Herpa contact VS again? Would VS really say no? Or is it more Herpa don’t think there is money to be made with VS models therefore not worth gaining a licence?

I just find it hard to believe so many airlines aren’t willing to licence models - it must be more around economics and costs, which make it not worth pursuing

Just some interesting points I’d like more specific replies on

Last edited by cathay250; 06-17-2020 at 02:29 AM.
cathay250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2020, 03:13 AM   #4
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I think the proposal by Cathay250 is a simpler means of getting an honest reply from Herpa, rather than the standard "we are considering 1 or 2 models" reply.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:11 AM   #5
Puddle Jumper

Smooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciatedSmooky is appreciated

Hi everyone!

I have a simple question to Herpa: Why don't they have any help or collector's section request to be able to stay in touch with them?
Smooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:35 AM   #6
RJ First Officer

SandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributor

We are never going to all agree on one or two planes that everyone wants. I’d much rather have a campaign to get lots of the GSE rereleased - winter vehicles, Skytrain, catering vehicles...

But I also agree this forum doesn’t hold any sway. It’s basically the same 5 people who comment and post. There has been a campaign on Instagram for NG Models to start 1:500 and they now said they will consider it.
SandborgAirport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #7
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Dear Alberic, maybe you're right by dreams are one of the few things we can allow without any problem.

I also wrote NG Models via Instagram asking them to start to produce 1:500 models. If they decide to enter 1:500 market, maybe resizing their wonderful 1:400 models to 1:500 scale, i imagine there could be a real revolution. NG Models B757's and B737-800's are AMAZING!
- "Do you think NG Models starts to produce 1:500 models because you ask them"?
- "No, of course, but asking, like dreaming, doesn't cost. And i think it is better to directly ask respect to make a very big speech...especially because i think that anyone, if not working for Herpa and/or Sky500 and/or NG Models, REALLY knows what's behind a single model production".

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion...R.I.P.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:57 AM   #8
The Dark Side

The idea to make a summary of the models we could ask Herpa born because many collectors write PM asking about Herpa and about some specific models.
I always repeat myself about some important models Herpa released "listening" our requests:
British Airways A320
Aer Lingus A320
Aer Lingus A330-300
Bulgarian Air Charter MD-80
Novair A321neo
Neos B787-9
Laker DC-10
just to list the models we have requested more. Yes, it is an "old" story, for some even a "boring and dated" story but, as Smooky rightly said, it is the ONLY story because there isn't a direct contact among Herpa and the clients. Herpa stayed in touch with us clients/collectors through Club models, but now even this opportunity to decide by vote (???) some models to release seems definitely over.
We must also consider that Herpa is the only manufacturer of 1:500 models so, considering the fact that (I HOPE NEVER!) in case of bankruptcy or Herpa decision to focus on trucks and cars, 1:500 scale world would disappear: why not to ask Herpa all we want? Of course, asking reasonble things = models/airlines/liveries would be better. For this reason i ask to make a summary of what we want to ask Herpa.
I absolutely don't want a wish list because it would have no sense: my wish list is three-four pages long, full of charter/leisure/low cost airlines and it is just a wish.
We can consider many models and airlines: airlines of the past, classic airplanes, colorful liveries, current airlines and liveries.
About the moulds we know Herpa definitively closed the door at B737 classic (b737-300, B737-400, B737-500) and seems not to consider some beautiful moulds like the SSJ-100, B717, Tu-204/214, Il-86.
Since collection airplane models (like cars, trucks, ships, trains, spaceships, soldiers and so on) is also a game, make me "play" with some models and airlines, even of Herpa history.
I continue to be sad for the cancellation of some models, models that could have been highlights (at least for me but, i am sure, even for many other collectors with which i talked about them).
Vladivostok-Avia Tu-204-300

Sudan Air A300

Lauda Air B737-800WL, a model that could have been an highlight even for the future because a tribute to the GREAT Niki Lauda and his airline(s)

Jet4you B737-400, a low cost airline part of TUI group, but especially an airline from Africa, a not so considered continent as we well know.

About the B717 it is a pity Herpa doesn't consider the mould, many airlines could have been produced like Blue1 and Volotea just to list two.
The same for the Il-86, one of the Herpa most beautiful and well realized moulds, and the real highlight of the "Il-86 fleet" is missing...
Transeuropean Il-86

The B727-200 is a beautiful mould too and i was considering two airlines from the USA as examples of the beautiful union model+livery
Air Florida B727-200

Planet Airways B727-200

but also a French charter airline of the past
Belair Ile de France B727-200

The Tu-154 is not one of the best Herpa moulds, especially because the nose section (cockpit windows -> nose section) is wrong. But some interesting, if not extremely beautiful, models are missing
Pulkovo Tu-154

Yakutia Tu-154

But even this model is missing, the Aeroflot interim livery among the old CCCP and the last Tu-154 one

Aeroflot Tu-154

Another Herpa masterpiece is the B377 Stratocruiser mould: something of really impressive, this mould is perfect! Herpa abandoned B377 production and it is sad because it is a beautiful airplane and a beautiful 1:500 model

The same for the wonderful Super Constellation, one of Herpa many masterpieces and forgotten moulds!
For example something like Varig "Connie" would be amazing

About Caravelle Herpa seems to produce some models and about Sterling we already debate on a specific thread

The DC-8 is another beautiful mould not so used by Herpa: i was just thinking to this beauty
Aire d'Evasions DC-8-73

And Viscount? many beautiful models produced by Inflight500 but this marvel is missing, while Herpa produced the model in 1:200 scale

Alitalia Viscount

A300-600 is yet another wonderful but forgotten mould. Low request? Mah...crazy!
What to say about these monsters of beauty?
Monarch A300-600

Air Scandic A300

END PART 1
Old 06-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #9
The Dark Side

Laker DC-10 wasn't a real surprise because i personally asked many times Herpa to realize it and a poll-thread has been posted.
But how many DC-10's could be produced, especially now Herpa has a good mould?
Just some examples

Philippine Airlines DC-10

JMC DC-10

Hawaiian DC-10: two models in OG, one of the most beautiful DC-10 + livery ever!

The great missing MD-11 is this one: just a StarJets sample! For me much more beautiful than Laker DC-10!

Delta MD-11 "Widget"

And this the B747SP missing Queen
Luxair B747SP

About the B737-100/200, once realized Air Florida, i still wonder who did not vote fir this Club model!
Air Tanzania B737-200

Referring to B737NG family some models are in my heart

Nok B737-800WL

Euralair B737-800 with the AMAZING Frog on the tail fin, a model produced by Herpa in 1:400 scale

Britannia Airways (Scandinavia) B737-800

Austrian Airlines B737-700 and B737-600...incredibly beautiful!

And the B737 classic? Too many, just two of the most beautiful
British Airways B737-400

bmibaby B737-500

For this B767-200 i will sell all my colection:
US Airways B767-200

We could ask a Fuji Dream E170 set, with three-four different livered E170

or an Olympic Dash 8-400, strangely not produced by Herpa (Olympic has always been a workhorse for Herpa and now it is a "ghost" airline just flying the Dash 8-400 Herpa did notproduce it...)

The MD-80 is a hope, i think we all hope Herpa will continue to produce the Mad Dog
DAT MD-80

TAP A319 is a mus just because a regular visitor to Funchal and because a WONDERFUL baby

...and Italy? Well, thanks Herpa for Neos B787-9 and Blue Panorama B767-300WL, hoping for the B737-800WL of the two airlines, but the BEAUTIES are other...
Livingston A321

Volare Airlines A320, and i would sell all my fleet also for this MARVEL!

END PART 2

Charter airlines lover

Old 06-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #10
The Dark Side

I hope Herpa will reach an agreement with LOT and not just for the E170/190 announced and never produced but for this WONDER
LOT B737 MAX8

Of course i WANT easyjet fleet! A collection can't exist without Ryanair, or easyJet, or Southwest or Frontier...our collection exists without them! In particular easyjet...

The B757 is a great mould. Herpa seems timid in producing B757 models, one of the most beautiful airplane ever!
Many are missing but i consider just few
Allegiant B757-200WL

Aer Lingus B757-200WL

EC Air-Equatorial Congo Airlines B757-200WL

Arkia B757-300WL

The Queen? No doubts

The Eva Air, Korean Air and JAL B787, the version is no matter...

JAL B787

Korean Air B787

The the wonderful Air Caraibes and Virgin Atlantic A350-1000

The Singapore Airlines A330-300

and Qatar Airways A330-300

And some A330-200's
Air China

Korean Air

Air India

Kingfisher Airlines

Charter airlines lover

Old 06-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #11
The Dark Side

But, these three posts aren't what i want to talk about with you. It is just a personal tracking shot of what we are mostly missing.
In the next hours i will post some models we could ask herpa, hoping you will make the same with your models.

Charter airlines lover

Old 06-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooky View Post
Hi everyone!

I have a simple question to Herpa: Why don't they have any help or collector's section request to be able to stay in touch with them?
For me THIS IS the point. One small step for Herpa but a giant leap for us collectors would be a direct link with Herpa, like some years ago on Wingsworld magazine (on the last pages there was a section dedicated to collectors questions, comments and suggestions).

Charter airlines lover

Old 06-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #13
The Dark Side

So, the models i would like to ask Herpa are these:
- restart the B717 production
- restart the SSJ-100 production
- restart Il-86/Il-96 production
- more E145/E170/E190 models
- more DC-9 and MD-80
- more A300 models
- more ATR-72 models
- more Fokker 100 models
- absolutely easyjet models
- Air Florida B727-100/200
- Korean Air B787-9 and A330-200/300
- Singapore Airlines A330-300
- Air China A330-200
- Eva Air B787-9/10
- Air Caraibes A350-900/1000
- Virgin Atlantic A350-1000
- Philippine Airlines DC-10 (white livery)
- US Airways B767-200
- Volare Airlines A320/A330-200
- Sterling Caravelle
- Air Afrique Caravelle
- Wamos B747-400

As you can read the majority are widebodies, models "with a very high demand" so nobody should say they can't sell; and scheduled airlines so nobody can say they are "boring charter/leisure models".

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 06-17-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #14
RJ Captain

mmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributor

I read this thread VERY carefully but I still don't know which sense it may have?!?!

On top: When it comes to our wishlists and finally a model comes out we still don't know if the reason was the talk here. For example a BA A320 didn't need a talk here, it was obviously that it will come out. Even with the Laker I am not sure if really we were the reason.

What is clear to me is this: Herpa brings models which can make money for them. Money not from "a few" collectors, but from the airline industries. That's the reason we see millions of Emirates and Lufthansa for example. Another reason is: Herpa works with try and error and it's good that they do. I would do so too. Why bringing a Sudan Airways if only a few would buy it. For me (!) another example are the two Dash Q400 "Nok Air" I was sure: Okay now it starts. Soon we will have a big collection of these. But it didn't happen. Why? Because these two are still available everywhere, often for low prices. What does this mean? Exactly. Only a few bought them. So WTF bring even more? I really understand this.

At the end a little remark: IL-86 & 96 models would be REALLY great, but it Won't happen because the moulds are damaged and at the moment they won't fix them.

You have never seen a rock show until you've seen KISS
mmp-ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:39 AM   #15
The Dark Side

I have just a question: how long before the collectors will be too few to justify efforts to produce models and 1:500 scale world will disappear?
If Herpa will continue to produce just a couple of airlines and a couple of airplanes there will not be demand even for the once "best seller airlines", so the market will totally disappear.

Charter airlines lover

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: