1:500-scale inconsistencies: 787-10 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
Second Officer

getifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobby
1:500-scale inconsistencies: 787-10

The B787-10 entered service with Singapore Airlines in 4/2018 and herpa or rather their Chinese supplier (JC-Wings?) rushed out the first 1:500-scale version already in 6/2018. The second B787-10 operator was Etihad (11/2018) but the first 1:500 Etihad 787-10 was only herpas 6th 1:500-scale B787-10 release (the second being the obligatory Christmas edition, the third a Boeing house colours version and the 5th a SIA re-release). The second regular livery B787-10 in 1:500-scale was the United Airlines edition which as third B787-10 operator entered service in 01/2019.

First lets take a look at the real 787-10. Let me highlight the distinctive »shark teeth« chevrons of the big turbofans, the engine ground clearance and the proportions of the strong undercarriage.

Now look at the »blunt engine teeth« and the slender wheels of the 1:500-scale model not allowing accurate ground clearance:

Another weakpoint of this model is the too low cockpit/window line:

From some angles the model looks less wrong:

Dissapointing for an exclusive model is the poor level of details:

The United Airlines B787-10 has a accurate cockpit/window line and surprisingly a shorter front gear:

And somehow the »regular« model has some unusual details:

Sadly my Etihad B787-10 was the weakest model:

Now a stumpy front gear paired with oversized (looking) front gear doors

and a too low cockpit/window line gave the model a rather weird look:

Details were reduced to normal level (by the way look at those poorly serrated edges of that engine exhaust nozzle):

The weak performance of the Etihad model was culminated by wrong wing assembly on the port side cousing misalignment (»esotropia«) of the left engine:

The small attention for correctly scaled gears and wheels is a sad reality in 1:500-scale (those oversized A320 tires are no solution for the B787 because of too small wheel hubs):

All the more astounding is that someone at herpa (or the Chinese supplier) at some point made minor »corrections«. Or were the following variations pure coincidence?

SIA versus United:

Etihad versus United:

SIA versus Etihad:

Conclusion

Since more than 10 years all B787 in 1:500 scale suffer from undersized gears and above all wheels (or rather wheel hubs). This comes at the cost of either disproportional front gears or almost ground touching engines. The B787-10 makes no exception.

Once more little effort has been made with the engines (or should I say skids), which from the back look as if they originate from the worn-out 787-8/9 engine tooling.

Because of substandard cockpitt/window line printing and poor level of details the SIA B787-10 despite best ground clearance and clean assembly is only a mediocre model and measured by the SIA surcharges a clear dissapointment.

With correct cockpitt/window line printing and at first glance a shapelier front gear (but of course clearly undersized undercarriage) the United B787-10 comes closest to the real plane.

With the worst cockpitt/window line printing, its stumpy front gear and the left wing assembly error my Ethad B787-10 is near of an annoyance. I hope that other collectors had more luck with this model.
getifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
RJ First Officer

HAJ-09L is a good contributorHAJ-09L is a good contributorHAJ-09L is a good contributorHAJ-09L is a good contributorHAJ-09L is a good contributorHAJ-09L is a good contributorHAJ-09L is a good contributorHAJ-09L is a good contributorHAJ-09L is a good contributorHAJ-09L is a good contributor
Re: 1:500-scale inconsistencies: 787-10

Thank you for this revealing comparison.
As the 787 is out of my collection's scope I was not aware of those differences / deficiencies.

HAJ-09L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:51 PM   #3
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

The too short main gears is what annoys me the most
It looks bad on the 787-8 and even worse on the 787-9 and 787-10.

The badly done engine chevrons are also a big letdown on these models.
This problem was once corrected by Herpa, but seem to be happening again.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Interesting discovery indeed. My KLM 787-10, the only reference I have, seems to have a shorter nose gear door than the Etihad 787-10, the chevrons are okay and its nose gear stands taller than the Etihad 787-10.

It seems unlikely to me that the mould is deteriorating already after so few releases..

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
Earning My Wings

CS300 is flying under the radar
Problem is also that the -9 and -10 should have bigger tires than the -8 ... So the 9 and 10 models sit even lower on the ground than they should opposed to the 8 model. Herpa just uses the same gear for all 787s it seems.

Thats one of many reasons why I seriously think about switching to 1/400. Herpas lack of details, errors, consistant bad quality etc annoys me since years.
Problem is I have hundreds of 1/500 models. So I either switch completely to 1/400 which takes time and costs a fortune or just collect 1/400 additional.
CS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS300 View Post
Problem is I have hundreds of 1/500 models. So I either switch completely to 1/400 which takes time and costs a fortune or just collect 1/400 additional.
I feel like a lot of us experience this.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: