Pilot Looking for Spanair MD-80...and Hi! - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
Earning My Wings

marcial is flying under the radar
Pilot Looking for Spanair MD-80...and Hi!

Hi everyone,

I am an airline pilot looking for models of aircraft i have misused along my 21 year career.

I have found HERPA models for all of my IBERIA victims , MD80 , A320 , A340 and A320 Neo.

But my first pilot job was in the SPANAIR Md-80 fleet ,and i cannot find a 1:500 model.

If anybody knows where to look for it i would be very grateful.

I am not a collector and my (sinful) plan is to embed all these poor babies in a DIY clear epoxy workdesk, in a kind of flying formation.

So thanks for any hints ,tips or suggestions

Saludos!,

Marcial

(Pic was taken by me in Madrid Barajas, early bird to somewhere i cannot remember, May 2002)
Attached Thumbnails
Pilot Looking for Spanair MD-80...and Hi!-103-0400_img.jpg  
marcial is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Pilot Looking for Spanair MD-80...and Hi!

Hello Marcial and welcome to Wings900 family, hoping you will start to share all your passion for civil aviation and airplane models.
Unfortunately a Spanair MD-80 model does not exist in 1:500 scale; Herpa released the A321 NG1 and a set including A320 and A321 in NG2 (very, very rare).
If you want the MD-80 you have to contact some custom Masters like Sergio.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #3
Earning My Wings

Hi Charter,
Thanks for the tip,do you have a way to contact for Sergio?.I am very ignorant about the collecting world...how much does a custom 1:500 model usually cost (approx)?.

Pic is yesterdays A-321 approach into Geneva , ILS 22.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilot Looking for Spanair MD-80...and Hi!-img_20200201_172737.jpg  

Old 02-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

You're welcome. Just send a PM (personal message) to PT-TAA (Sergio) and he will tell you everything.

PT-TAA

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany...R.I.P.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #5
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Welcome to the forum, as Charter suggested a custom model might be your best bet.

Gorgeous shot of the approach into Geneva by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcial View Post
I am an airline pilot looking for models of aircraft i have misused along my 21 year career.

I have found HERPA models for all of my IBERIA victims , MD80 , A320 , A340 and A320 Neo.
Your wording almost makes me glad to fly Air Europa since they're the SkyTeam option

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #6
Earning My Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post

Your wording almost makes me glad to fly Air Europa since they're the SkyTeam option
Well thanks ,all my planes have happily flown again

BTW Iberia is in the process of buying AeA so maybe they will not be SkyTeam much longer i guess.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
Earning My Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
You're welcome. Just send a PM (personal message) to PT-TAA (Sergio) and he will tell you everything.

PT-TAA
Ok,just sent the PM.Thanks a lot!
Old 02-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #8
The Dark Side

Quote:
Ok,just sent the PM.Thanks a lot!
You're welcome.
I think you could post your spotting pics in the spotting section, they would be a pleasure for our eyes.

Charter airlines lover

Old 02-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #9
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Well thanks ,all my planes have happily flown again
That's the spirit!

I'd love to try the IB A346 one day between LHR and MAD though

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
Earning My Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
That's the spirit!

I'd love to try the IB A346 one day between LHR and MAD though
I loved doing medium haul flights in the 340 600.
Fully loaded for transat it was a bit of a monster to fly, such huge inertias.Takeoff technique is to pull on the stick 1/3rd back at Vr and then wait,and wait,and wait for the nose to ponderously start to rise

But with a lot less weight it felt really good.

It drinks about 10.000 kg of fuel every hour (12.500 ltrs).
A330 and A350 are way more efficient (i think 7500kg and 6500kg ,haven't flown them ) but they cannot operate the Hot & High destinations like Bogota,Mex and Quito like the 340-6.
Its a heavy lifter, pretty much the only reason we still operate them.Plus the leasing is about 1/10 vs the A350.
Landing it is surprisingly easy,very well mannered for such a big plane.
Hope you get to ride one.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
Aviation fan

EchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobby

Hi Marcial,
I have this model, but is custom and was made by Lolloz from this forum, you have a picure here, you can send him a PM if you want.

Last edited by EchoCharly; 02-24-2020 at 02:34 PM.
EchoCharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #12
Earning My Wings

Hi EchoCharly, that is a nice model.I cannot remember flying that registration so maybe it was bought after i left.
I have already ordered a custom one from Sergio,should be ready in summer, based on a Herpa model.But thanks a lot for the info,saludos!.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #13
Second Officer

N3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobby

Welcome Marcial.

Your table sounds like an interesting project post-career project. Good luck with it.

Like the others, I'd like to invite you to stick around the forum.

Feedback from airline pilots is always welcome here.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: