Model review: Herpa Iran Air B747SP OG - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Model review: Herpa Iran Air B747SP OG

This model review thread is about the Herpa Iran Air B747SP old generation.
In my opinion it is a beautiful model, even without new generation update
Why Iran Air B747SP? Because Iran Air is the prototype of all exotic airlines and because the Herpa B747SP is one of the few mould that, even in OG, has a great charm.
In the next days i will post the review, stay tuned.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Iran Air B747SP EP-IAD.
This is an old generation model produced by Herpa, so the belly, the engines and the landing gear can't be compared with new generation models nope with 1:1 airplane.

Let me start from port side:

The beautiful Iran Air logo has an interesting story:

IranAir Logo History
After the Iran National Airline was registered as a national company, it officially started under the acronym "HOMA," made by combining initial letters of the Persian phrase. For both brevity and clarity, Iran National Airline changed to IranAir.
To choose the logo, a logo competition announcement appeared in Kayhan and Ettelaat newspapers in 1961. Judges came from the College of Fine Arts.
Inspired by an image atop one of the columns at Persepolis, a young Iranian's sketched the competition's winning image. Edward Zohrabian was only 22 when he drew the well enduring logo of the Airline of the Islamic Republic of Iran by drawing upon a series of ancient Iranian motifs. His most significant inspiration was Homa, the Persian mythological griffin, which can be found in prosperous Persepolis and described in the books of R. Grishman, the famous French archeologist who specialized in ancient Iran.
The griffin atop the Persepolis column has three distinct characteristics: an eagle's head, a cow's ears and a horse's mane. Without legs, according to some accounts, the griffin never rests, living its entire life flying invisibly high above the earth, and never alighting on the ground.
The color offered by the designer was turquoise.

So, as you can see from the comparison, Herpa was able to realize a perfect replica of "Homa"! The manufacturer was able to reproduce each single hair on the head and upper body of the mythological beast realizing a masterpiece. We are referring to many years ago, when Herpa was still producing old generation models and the skills/instruments weren't so "perfect" as today; this should be make reflect us about how much some things were getting worst with the progress, also seen the many flaws in current models and with less difficult logos than Iran Air "Homa".
In fact this logo is really difficult to reproduce by Herpa did a wonderful job.

The curved shape under the tail, typical future of the SP version, is well done, even if the tail ends almost straight while in the real airplane it ends curving on the fuselage, with the black strip continuing until the end of the tail fin.
Good the black section on the upper part of the tail fin with the two letters AD present.
Of course some details are missing on the cone section, above and below the tail rudders, but this is an old generation model...
Rear door, 15 windows, second door; ok for the registration, EP-IAD, below five windows, not good the "Persian written" above the windows line because in the real model it takes 10 windows while in Herpa model it is too short, just 8 windows: the written is the Persian translation for "The Airline of the Islamic Republic of Iran" ,هواپیمايی جمهوری اسلامی ایران
and maybe Herpa wasn't able to reproduce it perfectly.

As you can see, in the real airplane, after the second door from the rear part, there are 21 windows: these are divided into 6 windows (space) 1 window (space) 4 very close windows (space) 2 windows (large space) 1 window (large space) 1 window (large space) 6 very close windows.
In Herpa model the windows-partition is not respected: there are 13 windows (large space) 1 window (large space) 1 window (large space) 6 windows (= 21 windows as the real airplane).
This is a pity because, even if OG model, the non respect of these important details on the fuselage make the model less attractive and, especially, less similar to the 1:1 airplane. The non-respect of the windows disposition is not linked to technology or skills but to not attention to details!
Nice the Iran flag above the last four windows (right colors), completely wrong the written "The Airline of the Islamic republic of Iran in Herpa model: the place is right (it takes two close windows and the two single windows) but the disposition of the written in Herpa model is wrong.
As you can see from the comparison above, in the real airplane the written is divided into two parts:

The Airline of the
Islamic Republic of Iran

while in Herpa model it becomes

The Airline
of the
Islamic Republic of Iran

Another bad mistake, an important flaw not acceptable even with an OG model!
In my opinion Herpa written was too big and, instead of make it smaller, to respect the space in which the written had to enter, they divided it into three parts. But this is wrong, absolutely not acceptable!

Third door, at the same level of the wings section of the belly, 9 windows. "IranAir" written is well done, with "Iran" above 6 windows and "Air" above the last three windows, good size of the letters as we can see from the doors height.
The 10 windows of the top section of the B747 are well done and well positioned respect the windows below, the written and the third door.
Then the front door and 14 windows until the nose radar-cone section; the written "Boeing B747SP" above the 7th-8th-9th windows is missing, the cockpit windows are stylized 8but this is an OG model), the small door on the upper section of the B747, before the cockpit windows, is present.
The nose section misses of some details: radar-cone black line, Pitot tubes, some squares and rectangles, some straight lines.

Also the engines are wrong: the rear cone is missing, the front section is grey instead of white, Iran Air logo and some lines are missing (but this is an OG model).

The starboard side in the next post.
P.S. Thanks for your reading, for comments, suggestions, reflections: as you can see and understand it is really difficult to make these reviews because i try to explore everything about the model and the real airplane, comparing them in each detail.
Ciao and thanks.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria...R.I.P.

Last edited by Charter; 12-11-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby
Re: Model review: Herpa Iran Air B747SP OG

This review for me shows the many improvements Herpa has made over the years, instead of the usual flaws you first notice now when buying a model. Nice job!
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

The 747SP OG mold is far from good, but it's also not that bad.
By the way, some OG molds are fine: 727 and 757 are great, in my opinion, just needing minor adjustments and the NG gears.
Would be great if Herpa could re-release a few OG models in NG. They did it recently at their Anniversary celebrations, but would be nice if the idea could be taken more seriously.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

Nice review! This model clearly shows its age. That said, it's still a very nice model!
By the way, the text on the real aircraft is
Quote:
The Airline
of the
Islamic Republic of Iran
in three parts (see your picture).

The picture you're referring to (aircraft with text written in two parts) is wearing an updated livery without grey belly and sightly different text (different from Herpa's model).

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:59 AM   #6
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingslover View Post
Nice review! This model clearly shows its age. That said, it's still a very nice model!
By the way, the text on the real aircraft is

in three parts (see your picture).

The picture you're referring to (aircraft with text written in two parts) is wearing an updated livery without grey belly and sightly different text (different from Herpa's model).
You're right my friend, so there are two versions of the written close to the Iranian flag: the EP-IAD has two version of the written, both airplanes with the grey belly but different engines front part. The windows line is the same for all the airplanes.

EP-IAD

Then there is the EP-IAC with the two lines written and the white belly.

EP-IAC

And i have to add another missing detail in Herpa model: EP-IAD with "two lines written" has another Persian letter or phrase on the nose section, both sides, just before the start of the grey belly line.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 12-12-2019 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
The Dark Side

Starboard side:

this is the EP-IAD version with the "Airlines of the Islamic Republic of Iran" written in three lines

this is the version with the written in two lines

like for the port side the Iran Air "Homa" logo on the tail fin and the tail fin black section is correct and beautifully realized by Herpa; same problem for the end of the tail fin (straight instead of curved), the Persian written is too short even here (above 8 windows instead of 10 windows of the real model).
There is the rear door, 16 windows and a second door (the 16th window is situated inside the second door)...right in Herpa model.
EP-IAD registration is situated below the first five windows, same in Herpa model.
Then then is a row of 21 windows, among the 2nd and the 3rd passenger door: in Herpa model there is a row of 13 windows + (large space) + 1 window + (large space) + 1 window + (large space) + 6 windows.
In the real airplane there is a row of 6 windows + (space) + 1 window + (space) + 4 windows + (space) + 2 windows + (large space) + 1 window + (large space) + 1 window + (large space) + 6 windows.
21 windows in both airplanes but Herpa layout is wrong, the same of port side.

photo DSCN4132_zpsm4d9rgts.jpg

The Iranian flag is situated above the last four windows of the row among the 2nd and the 3rd passenger doors, the written "The Airline of the Islamic Republic of Iran" develops in three lines and takes 5 windows.
Then there is the 3rd passenger door, a row of nine windows and the written "IranAir" taking all the space among the 3rd and the 4th passenger doors, above the 9 windows.
Then the 4th passenger door or the front door, then a row of 14 windows. In Herpa model the name of the airplane below the 3rd, 4th, 5th windows is missing, the Persian letter/phrase below the 10th window is missing, the Pitot tubes are missing, the same for the radar cone black line and other small details on the front section.

Herpa model doesn't have the two large cargo doors, the one on the rear part close to the wings section and the other on the front part.
The upper section of the B747SP has the row of 10 windows and the small door; the cockpit windows are stylized.
The small square door on the top of the fuselage is present.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 12-13-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
The Dark Side

Conclusions:
Honestly speaking i thought this model was without flaws. I was considering Herpa a myth since i started to colelct airplanes in 1996 and, even old generation, i considered the B747SP mould one of the best.
Actually, as also Leonardo stated, Herpa B747/B747SP, B757 and B727 were beautiful moulds even in olg generation version; then the various airlines liveries, with all the problems of lack of technology in 1990 and 2000 years (not the same technology of today). But this doesn't improve my disappointment for the flaws: thanks to Alberic now we know there are two versions of "The Airline of Islamic Republic of Iran" written (two or three lines), but the wrong central windows layout is a shame. This seems the same (big) problem of today, tha lack of attention not for small details but for the big, important parts of the model. A wrong windows layout is not the same of a missing Pitot Tube: the lack of small details is not acceptable in the year 2020, when 1:500 models cost a lot (up to 40 euro, as you can see from ACB B747's section) and Herpa continues to declare an extreme attention to details..., but big flaws/mistakes like wrong windows layouts are sign of inattention and carelessness.
Simply not-acceptable!
The nose shape is quite nice, even with stylized cockpit windows, the Iran Air tail log is wonderful and the beauty of "Homa" is enough to collect the model.
Nice old generation model, disappointed by the wrong windows layout.

Charter airlines lover

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: