Do you think Herpa is in troubles? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Do you think Herpa is in troubles?

Ciao.
I was wonder by the comments of some members about the last batch of news, making me think: do you think Herpa is in financial troubles?
The last batch of news is quite short, especially compared with the previous batches, and then the fact that there aren't the usual ten Club models to vote for.
In the online current issue there aren't the 10 Wings Club models for 2020, i did not receive my Wingsworld magazine yet but i imagine that they will not present even in the paper issue.
Do you think Herpa would say something if they are in financial troubles? I am worried because Herpa is 1:500 scale and 1:500 scale is Herpa, so without Herpa the 1:500 scale would disappear!
Someone living in Germany or close to Herpa knows something more?
In case of troubles i wonder why they don't start to re-release old generation models of the past in new generation: no licenses/fee to pay for, a period to reorganize and restart and the majority of us would be happy because there are so many wonderful models to update from OG to NG.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #2
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby
Re: Do you think Herpa is in troubles?

You don't have to live close to Germany to check some facts. The German "Unternemingsregister" is available online and you can check Herpa's accounting. Interestingly, Herpa's net income is positive and is increasing compared to previous years. That said, Herpa primary sells model cars and trucks I'm unable to tell how their 1:500 aircrafts sales are going...

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:38 AM   #3
RJ Second Officer

SandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Ciao.
I was wonder by the comments of some members about the last batch of news, making me think: do you think Herpa is in financial troubles?
The last batch of news is quite short, especially compared with the previous batches, and then the fact that there aren't the usual ten Club models to vote for.
In the online current issue there aren't the 10 Wings Club models for 2020, i did not receive my Wingsworld magazine yet but i imagine that they will not present even in the paper issue.
Do you think Herpa would say something if they are in financial troubles? I am worried because Herpa is 1:500 scale and 1:500 scale is Herpa, so without Herpa the 1:500 scale would disappear!
Someone living in Germany or close to Herpa knows something more?
In case of troubles i wonder why they don't start to re-release old generation models of the past in new generation: no licenses/fee to pay for, a period to reorganize and restart and the majority of us would be happy because there are so many wonderful models to update from OG to NG.
How do you know there is no license fee to re-release models and especially OG models? I can’t imagine this is true. There is probably a time limit on licenses and any new version (even if the same model) would need its own approval from the airline.
SandborgAirport is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

The problem (if there is one) could be that the HOBBY itself is in trouble--unfortunately, businesses focus only on what makes the MOST money for them. Everything is supposed to be a financial home run. We live in a digital age and a computerized/virtual world, and there is waning interest in collecting things, which puts hobbies in general at risk for being abandoned by the companies that supply them. Soooo, in the case of a specialized and relatively small niche market like 1:500 scale airplane models, maybe we do not provide the highest and best use of their capital to be worthwhile enough--that is we create a modest profit for Herpa, but their money and efforts might generate more revenue if applied to doing something else. In spite of all the great things that we enjoy because of our monetary system, unfortunately it does leave many people behind, including creative types, dreamers, people with passion, sentimental folks, romanticists, environmentalists, indeed anyone out of the mainstream: nowadays everything must make money. All of that said, it also could be that Herpa is just trying to catch up with past releases and is becoming more practical and streamlined in their operations (perhaps a digital catalog only and no print version) and also in what they are offering. Time will tell, but I truly hope all is well, because as Alessandro mentioned, Herpa is the lifeblood of our hobby and if / when they go away, we may be left without a successor. On the other hand, in a world without Herpa 1:500, there is a (slim) chance that maybe a 1:400 manufacturer would swoop in to fill the void. Who knows? Just a lot of speculation. In any event, happy holidays to all and remember KEEP COLLECTING and BE SURE TO BE Active in the forum!! Everyone's thoughts, ideas and other contributions are what sustains this platform

Last edited by uncle beat; 12-08-2019 at 06:11 AM.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingslover View Post
You don't have to live close to Germany to check some facts. The German "Unternemingsregister" is available online and you can check Herpa's accounting. Interestingly, Herpa's net income is positive and is increasing compared to previous years. That said, Herpa primary sells model cars and trucks I'm unable to tell how their 1:500 aircrafts sales are going...
I imagine Herpa cars/trucks has a completely different organization than Herpa wings, so i was referring to Herpa wings and the situation of the market.
It is quite strange the lack of the 10 club models and the short news list, so i am wondering if there is something of dangerous for our hobby (along with for Herpa brand and all the employees).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandborgAirport View Post
How do you know there is no license fee to re-release models and especially OG models? I can’t imagine this is true. There is probably a time limit on licenses and any new version (even if the same model) would need its own approval from the airline.
This is another question without a real answer: honestly speaking Mr. Kuelgen answered something about this question but i am not sure if Herpa needs to renew the licenses even for defunct/very old airlines. The fact was about the airline's brand: like Meridiana, for example, once the brand no more exist and even the trademark rights no more exist, i think there are no more fees to pay.
But the strange thing is why Herpa started to re-release the OG models updating them in NG and then even this activity suddenly stopped. How many models to update from OG to NG? A lot, a job of one-two years of production!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
The problem (if there is one) could be that the HOBBY itself is in trouble--unfortunately, businesses focus only on what makes the MOST money for them. Everything is supposed to be a financial home run. We live in a digital age and a computerized/virtual world, and there is waning interest in collecting things, which puts hobbies in general at risk for being abandoned by the companies that supply them. Soooo, in the case of a specialized and relatively small niche market like 1:500 scale airplane models, maybe we do not provide the highest and best use of their capital to be worthwhile enough--that is we create a modest profit for Herpa, but their money and efforts might generate more revenue if applied to doing something else. In spite of all the great things that we enjoy because of our monetary system, unfortunately it does leave many people behind, including creative types, dreamers, people with passion, sentimental folks, romanticists, environmentalists, indeed anyone out of the mainstream: nowadays everything must make money. All of that said, it also could be that Herpa is just trying to catch up with past releases and is becoming more practical and streamlined in their operations (perhaps a digital catalog only and no print version) and also in what they are offering. Time will tell, but I truly hope all is well, because as Alessandro mentioned, Herpa is the lifeblood of our hobby and if / when they go away, we may be left without a successor. On the other hand, in a world without Herpa 1:500, there is a (slim) chance that maybe a 1:400 manufacturer would swoop in to fill the void. Who knows? Just a lot of speculation. In any event, happy holidays to all and remember KEEP COLLECTING and BE SURE TO BE Active in the forum!! Everyone's thoughts, ideas and other contributions are what sustains this platform
Completely right and completely agree with you.
But i am still waiting for one/two competitors, not Sky500 but someone producing from 12 to 15 models each two months!
I love Herpa but the market is renewed and helped when there is competition.
About "BE SURE TO BE Active in the forum", dear Pete, now the appeals are so many that from North Pole to Antarctica, passing through the Equator, everyone knows that participation is the only way to make something for the hobby and for theirself.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:11 AM   #6
RJ Second Officer

Marvin is flying under the radar

I would say itīs time to update the batch system. The most other brands announce their models shortly after the real plane was painted. Herpa wait 2 to 4 mounths for the batch and then there are three or more months up to model is delivered.

For example: Shortly after painting from the Choose liveries by Etihad you could find the models on the website form the Aviation Center Berlin for pre-order. Now all models are reserved and you canīt find it anymore. So the models very popular. And the production starts right away. For a Herpa model i have to wait at least 6 months. And also the speed of new moulds. A320neo first delivers was 2016. The first model came nearly 24 months later.....

Last edited by Marvin; 12-09-2019 at 03:18 AM.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
RJ First Officer

elite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributor

It could also be, in my opinion, that Herpa wants to keep the batch small and perhaps actually release those models that's mentioned in that said batch during that said period (i.e 03/04 2020 releases to be shipped to retailers in March/April) and NOT several months after that batch of news is announced for.

Looking for Herpa Garuda Indonesia B777-300ER & Philippine Airlines A330-300 1/500
elite_lima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #8
Captain

Eurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
I imagine Herpa cars/trucks has a completely different organization than Herpa wings, so i was referring to Herpa wings and the situation of the market.
It is quite strange the lack of the 10 club models and the short news list, so i am wondering if there is something of dangerous for our hobby (along with for Herpa brand and all the employees).

This is another question without a real answer: honestly speaking Mr. Kuelgen answered something about this question but i am not sure if Herpa needs to renew the licenses even for defunct/very old airlines. The fact was about the airline's brand: like Meridiana, for example, once the brand no more exist and even the trademark rights no more exist, i think there are no more fees to pay.
Beware. If Herpa can't even hold the licenses for models they have announced (LOT ERJs ??? ) how can you speculate about licenses of models released 20 years ago ?
Furthermore, licenses can change their owner... It may be possible that defunct small airlines end up without any license holder, but you can be sure every major airline has still a license holder nowadays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I would say itīs time to update the batch system. The most other brands announce their models shortly after the real plane was painted. Herpa wait 2 to 4 mounths for the batch and then there are three or more months up to model is delivered.

For example: Shortly after painting from the Choose liveries by Etihad you could find the models on the website form the Aviation Center Berlin for pre-order. Now all models are reserved and you canīt find it anymore. So the models very popular. And the production starts right away. For a Herpa model i have to wait at least 6 months. And also the speed of new moulds. A320neo first delivers was 2016. The first model came nearly 24 months later.....
I do agree that it is time to update the batch system, as it is a relique of the paper era and models announced in printed catalogs.
However, I do not see Herpa act as fast as their competitors in 1/400 because they first have to agree on the license terms.
Eurojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
RJ First Officer

HAJ-09L is flying under the radarHAJ-09L is flying under the radarHAJ-09L is flying under the radar

Yes, the revision of the product cycles / the batch system is a good point. Nonetheless, there might be implications we are not aware of. Transportation would change - more and smaller shipments, presumably. What about production planning in the factory? What about reaction and delivery times between currently agreed between Herpa and any subcontractor?

HAJ-09L is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: