1:500-scale survey - Page 3 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-30-2019, 04:13 PM   #31
Second Officer

getifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobby
Re: 1:500-scale survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxus View Post
a. Tu-104 Aeroflot
b. Bristol Britannia - BOAC
c. A321 Wizzair
d. An-24/26 Aeroflot
e. Yak 40/42 Aeroflot

So far only 15 Wings900 members answering but very diverse dreams.
getifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 04:23 PM   #32
Earning My Wings

Maxus is flying under the radar

I'm russian aviation fan, so I'm vote for russian planes) May be someday we'll see An-2 in 1/500. My first skydive was from "annushka".
Maxus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #33
Second Officer

getifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxus View Post
I'm russian aviation fan, so I'm vote for russian planes) May be someday we'll see An-2 in 1/500. My first skydive was from "annushka".

I love small planes but i guess the An-2 would be (in relation to its tiny size) too work intensive for our current 1:500 manufacturers. Maybe a 3D-print experienced member could help you out with the basic plastic model but you still would have to invest much time and effort to do the painting.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:42 AM   #34
Earning My Wings

Maxus is flying under the radar

You’re right, but Herpa made B&W small bird in Boeing yesteryear series. It was long time ago, but why not?
Maxus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:47 AM   #35
Captain

uncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top dog

This survey is a great idea--and there are some trends noted already

1. B/occasionally unhappy with range--LACK OF HISTORICAL MODELS (why is 1:400 so spoiled for these, and we are starving??)--unfortunately I have too many 1:500 models to switch, and my dioramas are all 1:500 (P.S. 1:500 size is perfect for dioramas).
2. A/short haul and D/historical
3. From these limited choices, Southwest and COPA
4. B/North American and C/Latin American
5. B/Historical, to wit DC-8 62 and Boeing 720
6. Some details, like low engine mounts but I'm generally satisfied given the tiny size of these planes
7. n.a.
8. 737-300 737-300 737-300 737-300 hellooooooo
9. Air Jamaica DC-8-61
Northwest Orient 747-200 ORIGINAL COLORS
Northwest Orient DC-10-40 ORIGINAL COLORS
Delta DC-8-61 1970's Widget
United DC-8-61 Saul Bass

Thanks for doing this survey--it does reflect the range of interests of the true collectors and 1:500 afficionados
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #36
Earning My Wings

Makemake is flying under the radar
1. How comfortable are you with 1:500-scale?
b. From time to time I’m unhappy with 1:500-scales range or quality but all in all I enjoy collecting 1:500 models (»signs of first sobriety«).

2. Which 1:500 scale model range adjustments relating to aviation segments would you give priority?
More releases of
a. short and medium haul aircraft.

3. Which 1:500 scale model range adjustments with regard to important missing airlines brands would you prioritize?
The inclusion of
b. EasyJet
c. Wizz Air

4. Which 1:500 scale model range adjustments with regard to air traffic regions would you prioritize?
More models imaging air traffic in
a. Eastern Europe
d. Africa.

5. Which further 1:500-scale model range extensions would you prioritize?
a. New moulds of contemporary aircraft (e.g. Embraer E2)

6. Which printing issues are for you the most annoying?
c. Wrong cockpit window printing

7. Which mould issues are for you the most pressing?
a. A320/A321 neo: oversized engine pylons (and engines)

8. Which mould renewal is for you the most pressing?
e. B777 (herpa): wrong shape of the nose (and cockpit window) section, restricted engine selection)

9. The »most needed« model for your collection or airport scenery would be:
a. A319 Volotea
b. A320 EasyJet (nc)
c. A321 Wizz Air (nc)
d. B737 Air Europa (nc)
e. B747 Wamos
Makemake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #37
Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

c. I regret 1:500-scales range restrictions and ongoing quality problems but overall the positive feelings predominate (»repeatedly disillusioned but still in hope«).

The changing of scale I have done once from 1:600 to 1:500 with more than 1000 models. Doing this excercise again.....nah, I dont think so. But have to admit 1:400 offers a lot more and nicer choices and I often find myself thinking about it loudly....

2. Which 1:500 scale model range adjustments relating to aviation segments would you give priority? [You can select up to two answers!]

a. short and medium haul aircraft
d. historic aircraft

3. Which 1:500 scale model range adjustments with regard to important missing airlines brands would you prioritize?

The inclusion of
j. Copa Airlines (historic)
o. Korean Air (historic and recent)

4. Which 1:500 scale model range adjustments with regard to air traffic regions would you prioritize?

c. Latin America
d. Africa

b. New moulds of historic aircraft (e.g. An-26)

c. Wrong cockpit window printing (no preproduction run samples)

b. ATR-72: oversized front gear (and front gear doors)

b. B737-300 (prior moulds were outdated and are not accessible anymore)

9. The »most needed« model for your collection or airport scenery would be: [You only have only up to 5 choices (for the sake of clarity; I know many of you have hundreds of wishes); there are no livery or mould restrictions; you could choose for instance a Saab 340 in fantasy Christmas colours (a ridiculous mould/livery combination that would never have a chance to be realized)]

a. Sabena 737-200 (80ies colours)
b. BA 757 Landor Colours
c. Aer Lingus 737-200 (80ies colours)
d. Zambia Airways DC10
e. Air UK BAe146
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:00 AM   #38
Charter and regional

Danish Air Transport is flying under the radarDanish Air Transport is flying under the radar

1. B
2. A & D
3. Easyjet & Ryanair
4. A & B
5. A!!
6. A! (but I could answer all 3)
7. A (I know the models are tiny, but the real aircraft does not sit on its engine irl)
8. B (come on herpa... the 737 classics is still in the air)
9. Aegean A320, Jettime 737-700, Easyjet A320, Danish Air Transport A320, Enter 737
Old 09-06-2019, 02:45 AM   #39
bcsf1000

bcsf1000 is flying under the radar

1. How comfortable are you with 1:500-scale? (select the most accurate answer)

c. I regret 1:500-scales range restrictions and ongoing quality problems but overall the positive feelings predominate (»repeatedly disillusioned but still in hope«).

2. Which 1:500 scale model range adjustments relating to aviation segments would you give priority? [You can select up to two answers!]

More releases of

b. long haul aircraft.

3. Which 1:500 scale model range adjustments with regard to important missing airlines brands would you prioritize? [You can select only up to two answers!]

The inclusion of

b. easyJet.
n. Cathay Pacific (herpa)

4. Which 1:500 scale model range adjustments with regard to air traffic regions would you prioritize? [You can select up to two answers!]

c. Latin America.
f. Asia and the Far East.

5. Which further 1:500-scale model range extensions would you prioritize? [You can select only one answer!]

6. Which printing issues are for you the most annoying? [You can select only one answer!]

b. Wrong colours (lack of research, no preproduction run samples)

7. Which mould issues are for you the most pressing? [You can select only one answer!]

8. Which mould renewal is for you the most pressing? [You can select only one answer!]

f. A350-900 (herpa): wrong shape of the nose (and cockpit window) section, too thin fuselage

9. The »most needed« model for your collection or airport scenery would be: [You only have only up to 5 choices (for the sake of clarity; I know many of you have hundreds of wishes); there are no livery or mould restrictions; you could choose for instance a Saab 340 in fantasy Christmas colours (a ridiculous mould/livery combination that would never have a chance to be realized)]

a. Cathay Pacific A350-900
b. Virgin Atlantic B787-9
c.
d.
e.
bcsf1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:04 AM   #40
Earning My Wings

Smooky is flying under the radarSmooky is flying under the radar

2. Which 1:500 scale model range adjustments relating to aviation segments would you give priority?

More releases of

b. long haul aircraft.
c. freight aircraft.

The inclusion of

l. ANA (herpa)
m. Japan Airlines (herpa)
o. Korean Air (herpa)

d. Africa.
e. the Middle East.

a. Wrong livery details (lack of research, no preproduction run samples)

e. B777 (herpa): wrong shape of the nose (and cockpit window) section, restricted engine selection)

a. MEA A320 (actual livery)
b. MEA A320 (retro livery)
c. MEA A320 (Skyteam livery)
d. TAAG ANGOLA B737-700 (actual livery)
e.SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS A340-600 (Star Alliance livery)
Smooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:14 AM   #41
lightsaberoperator

pooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast icon

More releases of

The inclusion of
b. EasyJet
c. Wizz Air

a. Eastern Europe
d. Africa.

c. Wrong cockpit window printing

9. The »most needed« model for your collection or airport scenery would be:
a. A320 EasyJet nc
b. A320/321 Wizz Air nc
c. B737-max8 LOT
d. B737-800 EnterAir
e. B737-800 UIA
Old 09-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #42
RJ Second Officer

United 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by getifero View Post

a. I enjoy collecting 1:500 models and I’m generally satisfied with 1:500-scales range and quality (»honeymoon state«).
b. From time to time I’m unhappy with 1:500-scales range or quality but all in all I enjoy collecting 1:500 models (»signs of first sobriety«).
d. Time and again I’m so disappointed and frustrated with 1:500-scales range restrictions and ongoing quality problems that I consider changing core themes or even scale (»unfaithful state«).
e. I already discontinued my former collecting activities and buy only sporadically 1:500 scale models (»transition state«).

More releases of

b. long haul aircraft.
c. freight aircraft.
d. historic aircraft.
e. military aircraft.

3. Which 1:500 scale model range adjustments with regard to important missing airlines brands would you prioritize? [You can select only up to two answers!]

The inclusion of

a. Ryanair.
b. easyJet.
c. Wizz Air.
d. Southwest.
e. Spirit Airlines
f. Frontier Airlines
g. Volaris
h. VivaAerobus
i. Interjet
j. Copa Airlines
k. IndiGo
l. ANA (herpa)
m. Japan Airlines (herpa)
o. Korean Air (herpa)

4. Which 1:500 scale model range adjustments with regard to air traffic regions would you prioritize? [You can select up to two answers!]

a. Eastern Europe
b. North America
c. Latin America.
d. Africa.
e. the Middle East.
g. Australia and Oceania.

5. Which further 1:500-scale model range extensions would you prioritize? [You can select only one answer!]

b. New moulds of historic aircraft (e.g. An-26)
c. New moulds of military aircraft (e.g. An-178, C-130J)

6. Which printing issues are for you the most annoying? [You can select only one answer!]

b. Wrong colours (lack of research, no preproduction run samples)
c. Wrong cockpit window printing (no preproduction run samples)

7. Which mould issues are for you the most pressing? [You can select only one answer!]

c. B757-200: gears (bulky front gear, too low main gears)
d. B787-9/10: too low main gears

8. Which mould renewal is for you the most pressing? [You can select only one answer!]

a. Fokker F100 (completely outdated mould of nearly OG standards)
b. B737-300 (prior moulds were outdated and are not accessible anymore)
c. Lockheed 1011-500: outdated mould with far too many issues
d. MD-11 (herpa): outdated mould with far too many issues
f. A350-900 (herpa): wrong shape of the nose (and cockpit window) section, too thin fuselage

a.
b.
c.
d.
e.

Given the representative status of this forum this survey is just a pastime. But I'm nevertheless curious about your answers.
1. c
2. a
3. d, b
4. b, c
5. a
6. c
7. c
8. e
9. Southwest 737-700, Alaska 737-800 (new colors) , American A321, Delta 757-200, United 767-300
United 752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:21 AM   #43
Puddle Jumper

Collector787 is flying under the radar

d. Time and again I’m so disappointed and frustrated with 1:500-scales range restrictions and ongoing quality problems that I consider changing core themes or even scale (»unfaithful state«).

More releases of

b. long haul aircraft.

The inclusion of

b. easyJet.
k. IndiGo

e. the Middle East.

a. Indigo A320 / A320neo
b. IndiGo A321neo
c. IndiGo ATR-72
d. Vistara A320 / A320neo
e. AirAsia India NORMAL COLOURS!! A320
Collector787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:47 PM   #44
Second Officer

24 out of maybe 40 Wings-900 registered, at least sporadically participating 1:500-scale-collectors accepted to answer to this survey. Much more then I initially expected and with partly very diverse but at times also very clear results.

As could be predicted no survey respondent was perfectly happy with quality and diversity in 1:500-scale but the majority was for the most part satisfied (10 out of 24) or only occasionally unsatisfied (8 out of 24). Nearly 17% of the survey respondents stated that they were compelled to significantly change their focal areas, 2 out of 24 claimed that they already discontinued their former collecting activities.

The in the perception of the survey respondents by far most underrepresented »aviation segment« in 1:500-scale involves »short and medium haul« aircraft (23 out of 24), followed by »historic« (10 out of 24) and »long haul« aircraft (8 out of 24; up to two answers were allowed, if three answers were given only the first two answers were included in the analysis).

The most missing airline brands were (number of »votes«; only two votes were allowed, if more than two answers were given only the first two answers were included in the analysis; LeoMuse747: only his »own taste« answers were considered):
1. easyJet (13)
2. Southwest (10)
3. Ryanair (8)
4. Wizz Air (4)
5. ANA (herpa), Copa (3)
7. Japan Airlines (herpa) (2)
8. Cathay Pacific (herpa), IngiGo, Korean Air (herpa), Volaris (1)

As the most underrepresented »air traffic region« the survey respondents identified (number of »votes«; only up to two answers were allowed; LeoMuse747: only his »own taste« answers were considered):
1. Eastern Europe, Latin America (respectively 10)
3. Africa, North America (respectively 9)
5. Asia and the Far East (4)
6. The Middle East (3)

Regarding the development of new moulds the survey respondents prioritized (number of »votes«; only one answer was allowed):
1. contemporary aircraft (16)
2. historic aircraft (8)

According to the survey responders the most annoying printing issues are (number of »votes«; only one answer was allowed, if more than one answer was given only the first answer was included in the analysis, one survey responder stated that a general lack of details is in his opinion the most annoying printing issue, for one survey responder printing issues were of only of secondary importance):
1. wrong livery details (10)
2. wrong colours (7)
3. wrong cockpit window printing (5)

The by far most pressing mould issue according to the survey respondents is the oversize of the A320/A321 neo engine pylons (21 out of 24), followed by the (still) oversized ATR front gears (2) and the poor B757 gears (1). One survey responder did not give a specific answer.

The mould renewal most survey responders would prioritize concern the
1. B777 and B737-300 (respectively 8)
3. A350-900, MD 11 (respectively 3)
5. Fokker 100 (1)
[One survey responder stated that a mould renewal is for him »not a big issue«.]

As could be expected the survey respondents »most needed« models list was very diverse and included in particular (long) missing moulds and airline brands. The most mentioned »dream models« were
1. A320 easyJet (7)
2. A321 Wizz Air (4)
3. B737-800 Southwest (3)
4. A321 American Airlines, Delta 757-200 (c.c.), United 767-300 (c.c.), Volotea B717 (respectively 2).

The informative value of this small and at times too narrow survey is of course very low. 24 answers of a Wings900 core of maybe 40 1:500-scale collectors reflect only a very small section of the mould picture of worldwide probably 1000 – 2000 (?) still active (?) collectors.

Furthermore it could be argued that this pseudonymous online survey suffers from systematic errors (bias) which distort the results (discontent collectors with higher motivation to participate, the inherent risk of manipulation of closed questions with restricted answer options). As I stated some posts before in some cases I could have phrased more neutral and have added more options to answer without having to compromise too much on clarity.

But nevertheless as small and imperfect as this survey may be, it shows that a vast majority of the participating Wings900 collectors is of the opinion that smaller aircraft (»small and medium hall«) are underrepresented in our scale. And the by far most pressing mould issue is the oversize of the A320/A321 neo engine pylons.

And without venturing too much forward in the area of deserted airline brands and air traffic regions it is out of the question that one of the biggest drawbacks of 1:500-scale is the absence of far too many important airline brands. The lack of the most frequent visitors of many airports in Europe (easyJet, Ryanair, Wizz Air), North America (Southwest) and Far East (ANA, JAL, Korean Air, Eva Air, Cathay Pacific) reduces the claim to reality of the correspondent airport sceneries significantly and disenchants many collectors who are waiting for the most ordinary models since many, many years.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: