That big fat D and the NG (Boeing 747-400D/737-800 from F-Toys JAL WC1) - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
RJ Second Officer

ragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciated
That big fat D and the NG (Boeing 747-400D/737-800 from F-Toys JAL WC1)

Okay, it's been a while since I posted any reviews - been away on vacation and picked up a few new planes, diecast-and-not (that will be the subject of another post). But I was pleased that a few new items were delivered over my time away - this time, the items go right back to late 2007/early 2008. These are from F-Toy's original JAL Wing Collection 1, which is from its Arc-of-the-Sun/Malaise era. The Arc-of-the-sun logo borrows from the red sun used in JAS's 777s, and combines it with JAL's silver blocky titles. It doesn't age well, and frankly, after the merger, JAL lost money until a government-led recapitalization/debt writedown saved it from being liquidated.

The planes featured in this series goes back to the JAL fleet from right after the JAL/JAS merger and features a bunch of -46s (JAL) and -89s (ex-JAS). 2 Boeing 777s were in the collection (a 246 and a 389), a 737-346, a 737-846, a pair of 400s, and a pair of 200s. One of the 200s were notable in that it is rendered in Japan Asia Airways livery (a special livery created to allow JAL to serve Taiwan as a flag carrier without pissing off Mainland China). 2 planes showed up on my doors so far. I am expecting a few more over the passing days.

One of the more curious aspects of these early F-Toys airliner models is its pack-in, which is not the usual effervescent minty gum...it is in fact a pack of granulated brown sugar commonly used as a hot beverage sweetener in Japanese flights. This one seems rather appropriate, considering that brown sugar is typically sourced in the outer islands of Japan, such as Okinawa. And Okinawa is one of Japan's more popular vacation destination, much like Hawaii to the US, the Azores/Mallorca to Europe, Hainan is to China.

Of course, JAL being JAL, the sides of their airliners are typically used as a mobile billboard to celebrate notable events...this one is no exception. I heard you like planes so I put a plane on your plane so you can fly as a passenger while you fly as a passenger.
Yep, I am talking about the JAL 747-400D with a drawing of the first Okinawa-bound JAL flight, performed on a JAL DC-6 named "Nara" (Nara being the capital of Okinawa). According to JAL, this happened on Feb 5th, 1954.

So, this is a 747-400D - it's a derated 747-400D with dense seating (typically one class with 540 seats), long range fuel tankage and winglets removed to allow extra cycles. The winglets and extra tankage can be removed and the engine derate (done on the FADEC) can be reversed by the airline maintenence team with about 2 weeks' work. Both JAL and ANA bought themselves some 400Ds.

So how's the handiwork on this one?

Honestly, from this angle it's not too bad. The proportionality looks about right, the lines are crisp, and there are no major molding errors. The left-right seam is also not evidently.

Doesn't seem too bad - what about the left...?

Oh, mutha....what the hell. F-Toys and their Chinese toy labor struck again.

Yeah, due to some misalignment with the detail printing, the left side "plane" has a downward sloping nose in the front. Unfortunately, due to the fact that the windows are printed on the same process, the window prints are knocked out of alignment as well.

It looks like the same mold was used again in the JAL Wing Collection 3 and its semi-mediocre 747-400. Just look at the 2 outbound engines. Note the intercooler grate on the engine core (not the fan). If it's on the right with the plane's nose facing right like so:

That was a CF6-80C2. And if it's on the left with the nose facing left, it's a Pratt and Whitney PW4056. And AFAIK, JAL only bought 747-400Ds with CF6-80C2s for compatibility with their Boeing 767 fleet. Honestly, the intercooler grate should show up on all engine pods, and it should all have the grating on the right while facing right (the actual JA8097 features GE engines).

Okay, now there is another plane that arrived at my doorstep during the vacation - it's a Boeing 737-800 in JAL’s Arc of the Sun scheme (since retired and replaced in 2011 by the current Eurowhite Tsurumaru scheme).

Handsome little fella. So what does the F-Toys ABS interpretation look like?

Hm. Well, several things. That CFM56-7B24 looks a little short, and the conical exhaust centrebody looks damaged or poorly modeled. That could be the subject of a fix-up (assuming that I can source another one on the cheap to mess with).

The cockpit print also looks...questionable. This will be fixed with yet another decal set from V1 decals...that is, assuming I don't solvent-strip the entire plane for a re-do.

Overall, the lines look about right - I always consider the non-900 Boeing 737s to be a little rotund-looking.

Wings-wise, yep, looks like the NG has the correct, Boeing 777-derived wing shape compared to the 737 Classic's hacked kinked wing.

I am not sure what the deal is with the engines, but the CFM56-3Bs on the Classic features a larger silver exhaust centre-body while the 7Bs seem to feature a pair of drinks stirrers (and the left one looks damaged)

Overall, good mold, mediocre paint job. I really should rip the engines out and re-do them.

Next up, a look at their DC-10 molding - I managed to score one off JAL Wing collection 2 (due to arrive in 2 weeks)

Last edited by ragefury32; 05-19-2019 at 01:21 PM.
ragefury32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby
Re: That big fat D and the NG (Boeing 747-400D/737-800 from F-Toys JAL WC1)

While the F-Toys B737-400 look good in my opinion, I can't say the same about the B737-800...

The Jumbo is also forgettable. F-Toys really have some ups and downs in their 1:500 models.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
RJ Second Officer

ragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciatedragefury32 is appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
While the F-Toys B737-400 look good in my opinion, I can't say the same about the B737-800...

The Jumbo is also forgettable. F-Toys really have some ups and downs in their 1:500 models.
Yeah, the F-Toys 744s are forgettable - I did an entire review series on JAL Wing Collection 3, which is all 747, all the time. The squinty cockpits and poor cargo door placement kill their desirability, that ugly half-joint seam really does it no favors, especially on the metallic finish ones.

As for the NG, the molds looks almost about right, but what did the plane no favors are that the rudder looks a little too broad, and there is a real limit to how small you can realistically model a component in 1:500 in ABS and not mess up the paint. Those CFM56 engine pods are sloppy, and their paint jobs were just mediocre. When you combine that with the squinty "Milhouse" cockpit windows - it totally threw the balance off the model. As for what I should do about it - it really depend on where I want to go with this...I could strip the cockpit off and re-decal some of the plane...or I can solvent strip and custom-paint (like a late model Canyon Blue SWA -800)
A single decal set from V1 is ~5 dollars + shipping, but I would prefer waterslide decals made using printed on a 1200dpi color laser printer - digital silk is not all that resilient and cutting them when they were 1:500...were a pain. I have a research project on the side to see how to do better customs leveraging relatively cheap F-Toys sources overseas, but it really depend on my free time.

F-Toys is selling their 1:500 models for 550 Yen back in its native Japan, which is, what, 1/4 to 1/5 of what Herpa asks on their diecast 1:500s (like the Alaska/Virgin merger one that I just bought this weekend for 33 USD, and even then there are mis-colors, omission of details and print glitches). Some inconsistencies, omission of details and/or production issues are to be expected - that's why v1 decals exist.
Sometimes the stars do align and you'll get stuff the F-Toys Lockheed L-1011s (which is a good one, minus their odd looking core exhaust extensions), but in general, I usually keep them in the back of the rack or as fixer-uppers/technique developers.

Last edited by ragefury32; 05-20-2019 at 12:01 AM.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:52 AM   #4
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post

I agree with Leo's analysis here, the winglets on the 738 for once look very unusual. Another problem appears to be the seam running through the middle. I've got a plastic Air China 777 Peony model, but that one is comparable to metal diecast models.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: https://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #5
RJ Second Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
I agree with Leo's analysis here, the winglets on the 738 for once look very unusual. Another problem appears to be the seam running through the middle. I've got a plastic Air China 777 Peony model, but that one is comparable to metal diecast models.
Well, that 738 has some issues - but that's a separate posting.

How much did you pay for that Peony CA 777? I mean, ANA charges seriously top dollar for their Star Wars 777s (90 USD?) - this only cost me about 6 USD plus US Priority mail shipping (another 5? I combined it with the 747-400D so it's about 8.50 USD per model). At the price that this being charged I am much more tolerant of stuff like seams....plus if it really bother me...oh, that's a separate posting.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragefury32 View Post
Well, that 738 has some issues - but that's a separate posting.

How much did you pay for that Peony CA 777? I mean, ANA charges seriously top dollar for their Star Wars 777s (90 USD?) - this only cost me about 6 USD plus US Priority mail shipping (another 5? I combined it with the 747-400D so it's about 8.50 USD per model). At the price that this being charged I am much more tolerant of stuff like seams....plus if it really bother me...oh, that's a separate posting.
Not a good example, as I won it in a lottery/tombola kinda contest. But IIRC the retail price was about 15 Euros or less.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: https://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
Old 05-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
RJ Second Officer

Quote:
Not a good example, as I won it in a lottery/tombola kinda contest. But IIRC the retail price was about 15 Euros or less.
Hm...it's not one of those unauthorized/unlicensed models, is it? I always feel kinda gnarly buying things like that.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragefury32 View Post
Hm...it's not one of those unauthorized/unlicensed models, is it? I always feel kinda gnarly buying things like that.
It's made by Potato Wings, which sounds very legit In all seriousness, I found out the retail price was below 10 Euros and I think the quality on the model is more than sufficient for that price. Personally don't feel anything special when buying from these sources, like Sky500. I just love expanding my collections with models I desire

Old 05-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #9
RJ Second Officer

Quote:
It's made by Potato Wings, which sounds very legit In all seriousness, I found out the retail price was below 10 Euros and I think the quality on the model is more than sufficient for that price. Personally don't feel anything special when buying from these sources, like Sky500. I just love expanding my collections with models I desire
Huh. PotatoWings are Sky500 - they are both commissioned by ExpressoWings out in Hong Kong (I saw one of the old PotatoWings boxes and looked up their phone number - it's ExpressoWing's HK shop number). That being said, it's like dealing with a unicorn - they only released 3(?) planes and then downright disappeared - I am not sure if that speaks more about their inability to sustain quality at the price, or that they can't do more planes without angering the licensing gods at ye olde airlines (who wants a cut) and decided not to continue the line. Don't forget that you'll need to pay Airbus or Boeing for the plane design, and then cut the airlines a royalty check for using their corporate livery in a for-profit product - no way in hell they can get away with the fair-use argument. At least F-Toys sell their trade models to every convenience store in Japan, which allows them to push production at volume. It also helps that both Bandai and Takara got out of the 1:144 trade model game (F-Toy's bread-and-butter).

(that's from their recent Versus Collection 10 - that's a Nakajima B6N2 Tenzan - at 10 USD including shipping, a very good quality 1:144 model, even if some oldschool model-makers scoff at the idea of pre-painted models)

The ExpressoWings guys probably realized that they can make more money reselling Herpa or GeminiJets than manage/manufacture their own, so I don't blame them for getting out. That being said, Hong Kong's toy industry has a long and illustrious history of making small, highly detailed merchandise with the aggressive management to ensure consistent results - the T-for-Candy Re-ment alternatives and the tiny.com.hk merchandise are ample proof of that.

Last edited by ragefury32; 05-22-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: