Herpa mysteries... - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Herpa mysteries...

I leave you to understand what this thread regards about...

Charter airlines lover
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Herpa mysteries...

Regards about

1) Releasing models with special liveries and forgetting about the regular liveries?

2) Saying they don't have demand for 737 Classic, but still producing odd models, like the Tu-114?

3) Re-releasing not-so-popular models and not re-releasing high-demanded models?

4) Correcting the glitter-livery on American Airlines models, and then ruin everything again with the Nordwind A330 model?

5) Still releasing the Christmas-themed models?

That's my bet!

Last edited by LeoMuse747; 05-03-2019 at 03:22 PM.
LeoMuse747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
RJ First Officer

mmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributormmp-ace is an excellent contributor

Too much red wine maybe???

You have never seen a rock show until you've seen KISS
mmp-ace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Not releasing all the models on my wishlist? Yes that has to be a mystery...
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:38 AM   #5
Captain

uncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top dog

. . . the "broken" 737 mold ?
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
Regards about

1) Releasing models with special liveries and forgetting about the regular liveries?

2) Saying they don't have demand for 737 Classic, but still producing odd models, like the Tu-114?

3) Re-releasing not-so-popular models and not re-releasing high-demanded models?

4) Correcting the glitter-livery on American Airlines models, and then ruin everything again with the Nordwind A330 model?

5) Still releasing the Christmas-themed models?

That's my bet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmp-ace View Post
Too much red wine maybe???
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Not releasing all the models on my wishlist? Yes that has to be a mystery...
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
. . . the "broken" 737 mold ?
Thanks for asnwering.... I like white wine, especially if slightly sparkling as Vermentino of Sardegna, for example.
Leonardo has come closest to the thread soul, Herpa X-Files.

1) The first X-File regards a real mystery: Christmas models.
I remember when Herpa was producing the "Advent Calendar", a set of four models released on December, with a window showing a different model (= a different surprise) for each week of December (above some examples of Advent Calendars).
Four exclusive models, something unexpected and real, not fantasy models.

Then Herpa changed policy: the manufacturer stopped to offer the Advent Calendar focusing December exclusive production in a free-of-charge model (only for Herpa Wings Club members) and in a Christmas Model.
So, Herpa started to produce different models in a dark blue livery with some Christmas-themed drawings on the fuselage.
12/2002: Beluga
12/2003: An-12
12/2004: A380
12/2005: B777-300ER (red fuselage)
12/2008: C-160 Transall
12/2010: An-225
12/2012: Tu-144
12/2013: VC-10
12/2015: L-1011
12/2016: A350-900
12/2017: An-22
12/2018: B787-10

These the models i remember...
Now, maybe i am the only collector who doesn't buy these models, but i don't understand this first mystere: why producing something not real, more similar to a toy for a kid instead of producing an exclusive model of a real airline?
And these models cost a lot: the Christmas 2016 model, A350-900, costs about US$ 60!
I would ask: how many members buy Herpa Christmas Model? How many members like these models or consider these models useful, especially because they aren't free-of-charge. Please answer to me, please!!!

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 05-04-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
RJ Second Officer

SandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributorSandborgAirport is a good contributor

I really liked the advent calendars and especially the last one with the different accessories. I think that would be better. Every day a new piece of GSE and then a plane or something on Xmas day.
SandborgAirport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

There was also a 747-400F with open nose, released as a Christmas model.
To make things worse, they are all black models, terrible donors for customs!
Old 05-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
RJ Second Officer

The_K is flying under the radar

2006 has a 747-400F, however it doesn't look open. The full list for all models since 2002 (probably each time a shortly released mold):

2002 Beluga
2003 An-124
2004 A380
2005 777-300
2006 747-400F (not sure, if movable nose)
2007 787-8
2008 Transall
2009 Super Gully
2010 An-225
2011 Tu-114
2012 Tu-144
2013 VC-10
2014 707-400
2015 Tristar
2016 A350-900
2017 An-22
2018 787-10

…avoiding the troubles around 737 MAX I'd bet on a A350-1000.
The_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #10
Selfie with bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_K View Post
2006 has a 747-400F, however it doesn't look open.
https://www.wings900.com/vb/1-500-sc...-747-400f.html

Yep, movable

I think the 737 MAX is too small. Herpa seem to release big models (widebodies or similar) as Christmas models. 777X or A330 NEO would be my bet.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
Brexit is a lie

Anglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobby

This year's Xmas model will be an A330-900. Yippee.

Last edited by Anglojet; 05-04-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Anglojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #12
The Dark Side

2) The second mystery has an icon: Transaero Tu-204.
Many years ago Herpa announced the Transaero Tu-204; i remember many members were excited about this news, Transaero was still flying and it was one of the most loved airlines of the sky, as its demise showed years later.
Then the model has been produced and this was the result:

It was immediately clear the nose section was weird (here a comparison with another Tu-204, Red Wings)

It was clear the nose section was weird because of the wrong cockpit windows design; after many complaints Herpa produced a re-release with corrected cockpit windows.

What the mystery is?
How is it possible to accept and put in service something with this nose section

and that awful, clearly wrong, cockpit windows design? We are going beyond the quality check or the missing of quality check, we are going in an unexplored field, a real X-File!
So, how is it possible to commercialize something shameful and clearly wrong like the first release? I have two hypothesis:
1) during the realization of this model a virus hit everyone at Herpa (including those working in China and especially the quality check team) erasing their ability to discern among right and wrong, good and bad; clearly, because of the virus, they thought to have produced something good while the Transaero Tu-204 was rubbish;
2) Herpa was aware of the shameful/rubbish/wrong model but they decided to commercialize it the same because they knew a virus hit collectors like me, erasing our/my capacity to discern among right and wrong, good and bad. They knew we/me would have bought the model despite the awful nose section, so...who cares! More money for Herpa.
Maybe both speculations are correct because Herpa continued to commercialize models with macroscopic flaws, especially about nose section/cockpit windows and liveries shades and colors.

But the mystery is really intriguing: look at this pic

the stairs has been clearly built in a wrong way! I don't think a person would accept an apartment with this stair.
Why Herpa decides to sell models clearly wrong, like the stair above? Missing quality check step? Inefficiency? Carelessness? I can't believe that a German company could suffer of inefficiency or carelessness about the product they sell and for the clients, so this is a real brain teaser!

Charter airlines lover
Old 05-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
Selfie with bros

If Herpa mistakes were X-Files, Mulder would quit the FBI before even meeting Scully!

Indeed, the Transaero Tu-214 have an awful cockpit window...
Old 05-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #14
Captain

uncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top dog

I enjoyed this entire thread as a very creative brainteaser. Thanks for putting it in!

Now, to answer the specific question re: the purchase of 'Christmas Models,' I won't speak for other collectors but these limited edition black-colored nativity models, as well-decorated, beautiful, and artistic as they are, certainly don't work for me or my collection!! I liked the advent calendars better, and I bought two of the 2005 calendars just to get my hands on a couple of United DC-8-61 "1960's Friendship Colors!" The needs for my dioramas are for real airlines, mostly from around here, both new and historical, the releases of which are becoming few and far between in the 1:500 scale . But, like I said at the beginning, who knows? There may be many collectors who eagerly await the arrival of Christmas so they can add another model to a shelf-full of this type of fantasy airplane, the production of which no doubt subtracts availability on the apparently very limited 1:500 production line for the manufacture of other models of real airlines (my point being, why so much choice in 1:400 and not for us??!!!).

Last edited by uncle beat; 05-04-2019 at 04:20 PM.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:38 AM   #15
Wings of Wool

sheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributor

I do own a handful of the christmas models but most of the time I don't like the design and then I don't buy them.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: