Herpa mysteries... - Page 5 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #61
Second Officer

getifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobby
Re: Herpa mysteries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
...I've sent them an email one but, unfortunately, this was their answer: ...
In other words: »Unfortunately we [Gemini Jets] must act on many fronts [fighting new competition by aviation 400, NYHL, NG among others] and do not want to extend them.«

The only old Starjets mould I would like to see reactivated is the MD11. But probably they would start to release the same downscaled JC-Wings moulds as herpa, would rapidly learn that in 1:500-scale only the bigger models sell and at the end we would have only more releases of major North-American (and to some extent European) airlines (in 1:400 scale Gemini-Jets is primarily a main-stream airlines releaser).

We might as well ask JC-Wings to release on a regular basis. But they don’t even do in 1:400-scale (they announce models regularly but release them at their leisure). I wonder what over the past few years prevented them to release a JAL 787-8 or 787-9, a Korean Airlines 787-9 or a Singapore Airlines A330-300.
getifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #62
RJ First Officer

The_K is flying under the radar

Seeing the StarJets A320 again would also be nice, there are always more than enough versions possible…
The_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #63
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

I would love to see the MD-11, 747 and A320 family molds back.
They are better than what Herpa currently have to offer. And these three would be even better with some enhancements! Starjets didn't develop a B747-400F mold, for example.

The 727 is also great, but the mold Herpa is using is also nice.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #64
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by solicitor82 View Post
Ale, interesting 11th reason...rather mystery! Herpa has increased their prices for models and was just wondering why...could it be because they don't have strong competitors like Sky500 or BigBird500 or Hogan? Whatever the reason, 1/500 scale needs strong rivals to Herpa in terms of mold and models released, my friend! 1/400 scale, on the other hand has serious competition in the form of JC, GJ and Phoenix to name a few. Besides, Sky500 and other manufacturers release the same boring kind of releases (sorry folks, some of you may find some models interesting), but, there was a time when Sky500 was known (or should've been known) as SkyB777! Interesting to know Mystery #12, Ale!
The monopoly is always a bad thing my friend. The only company decides prices, what to do, when to do some things and why to do some things. There isn't the competition pressure, there aren't other strong, important manufacturers leading the market with Herpa, there aren't other marketing strategies different from Herpa marketing.
For example, if a new 1:500 manufacturer focus its marketing in A320 mould, producing niche and exotic airlines, Herpa could suffer little because they don't produce niche and exotic airlines; but if a new manufacturer starts to produce good A320 and B737NG moulds,even better than Herpa moulds, focusing the production in European airlines like Lufthansa, Alitalia, British Airways, Aer Lingus, maybe adding easyjet, Ryanair, Wizz Air, entering in the real competition with Herpa, i would be alive to assist to the revolution!
Many manufacturers does not necessairly mean low prices, but means more airlines, liveries, models.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #65
RJ First Officer

Howver most 747-400 would be dublicates to at least two previous models…

Overall I've thought a bit about missing widebodies:
* Boeing 747 has probably everything done by everybody at least twice. If there's anything missing, it's because of licences or will come sooner or later.
* DC-10 has suffered from a bad Herpa mold for a long time, however on the other side Aero500 made many early versions.
* Airbus A300 as already mentioned has many early versions totally missing and the later ones OG only.
* I don't know enough about Lockheed Tristar to comment on that.
* Airbus A310 and Boeing 767 have many (early) versions only as OG, white the later (and less mainstream) are NG.
* Airbus A330/340, Boeing 777 and MD-11 may have a few very early as OG only; about everything else as NG.
* Aisbus A350 and 380, Boeing 787 as NG only with probably every possible version done.

So missing widebody models fit into four categories:
* missing licenses (like about every Airline "East of China")
* VERY exotic Airlines (like some African Airline only having as single widebody at all)
* about everything from A300.
* many 1980s and 90s versions of A310 and B767.

Totally different for narrowbodies: There even current non-European mainstream may be missing at all.

Last edited by The_K; 05-20-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #66
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

12th mystery: why Herpa produces so many widebodies respect the few regionals and narrowbodies?
There is a so big request of widebodies? Honestly speaking i would like more narrowbodies and regional airplanes, from all over the world of course.
I imagine in all the countries a collector would like to be produced airlines of home country, narrowbodies used for domestic flights; then also widebodies landing at home airport.
But Herpa production is focused in widebodies, re-release and re-re-release of widebodies! Not to speaking of Herpa-legacy airlines like Emirates and Qantas: Emirates flies only widebodies while the majority of Qantas fleet is composed by B737-800's (80 models) but the backbone is formed by A330's, A380's, B747's, B787's.
Widebodies, widebodies and...widebodies again.
A little bit boring.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #67
RJ First Officer

Widebodies are global, narrowbodies are continental. If you go to any airport, those airplanes from "all over the world" are almost exclusively widebodies; the vast majority of the narrowbodies however are from neighboring countries at best. Have you ever seen an Asian (except Turkish) or even South American narrowbody airplane on a European airport?

Qantas is a very good example for this: Their B737-800 rarely ever leave Australia (found a few pictures in Singapore, but not even one from New Zealand), so Europeans and Americans only see Qantas in widebodies.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:37 PM   #68
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_K View Post
* DC-10 has suffered from a bad Herpa mold for a long time, however on the other side Aero500 made many early versions.
* Airbus A300 as already mentioned has many early versions totally missing and the later ones OG only.
* I don't know enough about Lockheed Tristar to comment on that.
* Airbus A310 and Boeing 767 have many (early) versions only as OG, white the later (and less mainstream) are NG.
* Airbus A330/340, Boeing 777 and MD-11 may have a few very early as OG only; about everything else as NG.
* Aisbus A350 and 380, Boeing 787 as NG only with probably every possible version done.

So missing widebody models fit into four categories:
* missing licenses (like about every Airline "East of China")
* VERY exotic Airlines (like some African Airline only having as single widebody at all)
* about everything from A300.
* many 1980s and 90s versions of A310 and B767.

Totally different for narrowbodies: There even current non-European mainstream may be missing at all.
Very interesting and accurate analysis.
I would be totally OK if Herpa decided to re-release OG models as NGs (similar to what they did in their anniversary, with Pan Am A300, Swissair DC-10 and Qantas 747-400 models). For me, models released in OG only are truly wasted models, so they don't even count.

Quote:
Overall I've thought a bit about missing widebodies:
* Boeing 747 has probably everything done by everybody at least twice. If there's anything missing, it's because of licences or will come sooner or later.
lol not really. Several Jumbos missing too, specially freighters which Herpa simply have no interest in doing. That National B747-400BCF release was really an odd odd odd ODD ball.

Last edited by LeoMuse747; 05-20-2019 at 09:40 PM.
LeoMuse747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:07 AM   #69
Second Officer

getifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
I would love to see the MD-11, 747 and A320 family molds back.
They are better than what Herpa currently have to offer. ...
The Starjets 747-mould was from 2000, has been updated twice (2001: front gear doors; 2003 laterally inserted horizontal stabilisers), has been heavily used (widebody Aircraft where more popular already in early years of the new Millennium; production runs were up to 2000 units) and is probably not viable anymore. The A320-family-mould from 2001 (A321 production started in 2002) has at least two »flaws«: the stubby, almost not visible front gear doors (in one block with the front gears) and the seams of the horizontal stabilisers/tail-cone slot. That we take a nearly 20 years old mould in consideration says much about herpa’s current A320-family mould but I don’t think that such an outdated mould is still competitive. Funny that herpa’s interim mould after the Witty Wings breakdown (Lysia?) is already forgotten. Why herpa did not want to go further along this road and what really happened with much of the first (Lysia?-) production batch is a real herpa mystery (rumours about lost (sunk?) containers).
Old 05-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #70
The Dark Side

Quote:
Widebodies are global, narrowbodies are continental. If you go to any airport, those airplanes from "all over the world" are almost exclusively widebodies; the vast majority of the narrowbodies however are from neighboring countries at best. Have you ever seen an Asian (except Turkish) or even South American narrowbody airplane on a European airport?

Qantas is a very good example for this: Their B737-800 rarely ever leave Australia (found a few pictures in Singapore, but not even one from New Zealand), so Europeans and Americans only see Qantas in widebodies.
Agree. But we must think "worldwide"! Herpa is from Germany but a collector from Australia would like to have Alliace Air Fokker 100 or Virgin Australia B737-800WL and A320; the same for a collector from China about the many narrrowbodies flying domestic routes: he would like to have many of the +40 airlines using narrowbodies. And Herpa seems not to understand thing changes: RwandAir started to fly to China (Guangzhou) with the A330neo.
In conclusion Herpa must be renewed and to re-think their projects.

Charter airlines lover

Old 05-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #71
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Herpa is a business. Most collectors are European based, look at this forum as an example. I don't think many of us European collectors want an Alliance Air Fokker 100, Juneyao A320, Aerolineas Argentinas 737, Ethiopian 737.. Yes, there are exceptions, but Herpa knows its customer base rather well. An Ethiopian A350 is much more appealing to European collectors than a Q400 of the same airline. Not all of us have the funds to buy all models we would like, so we have to make a selection of models/ranges we're willing to collect.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #72
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Herpa is a business. Most collectors are European based, look at this forum as an example. I don't think many of us European collectors want an Alliance Air Fokker 100, Juneyao A320, Aerolineas Argentinas 737, Ethiopian 737.. Yes, there are exceptions, but Herpa knows its customer base rather well. An Ethiopian A350 is much more appealing to European collectors than a Q400 of the same airline. Not all of us have the funds to buy all models we would like, so we have to make a selection of models/ranges we're willing to collect.
I always make the mistake to think that a collection should be global, instead the market writes the rules. Unfortunately, because when a collection starts to be really big and collecting models is no more a "game" but a way to live part of free time, the lack of narrowbodies/regionals worldwide is a great problem. Especially to fill our handmade airports with the right airlines, not only widebodies but also and especially narrowbodies and regionals.

Charter airlines lover

Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #73
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
I always make the mistake to think that a collection should be global, instead the market writes the rules. Unfortunately, because when a collection starts to be really big and collecting models is no more a "game" but a way to live part of free time, the lack of narrowbodies/regionals worldwide is a great problem. Especially to fill our handmade airports with the right airlines, not only widebodies but also and especially narrowbodies and regionals.
I understand your point my friend, for the scale it would be very nice to have this broad range of models. But sadly, demand and supply work hand in hand. Collectors of predominantly Asian/US models have established themselves in 1:400 scale, because there was a bad offering of these models in 1:500. Thus there is even less demand for these models in 1:500, since the people that predominantly want them switched to 1:400...

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #74
Selfie with bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by getifero View Post
The Starjets 747-mould was from 2000, has been updated twice (2001: front gear doors; 2003 laterally inserted horizontal stabilisers), has been heavily used (widebody Aircraft where more popular already in early years of the new Millennium; production runs were up to 2000 units) and is probably not viable anymore.
This is interesting. I wonder why Herpa is managing to stick with the Netmodels mold for so long, then? This mold was used by Netmodels and Sky500 and have several releases too. Herpa is using it since early 2010s. Shouldn't it be worn out already? It seems the Starjets 747, which was used solely by them AFAIK, died much sooner.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:12 PM   #75
Second Officer

The highest production number for Starjets models was actually 2500 (and they did for example the 741 AA in polished and chrome version = 5000). Production figures for a single netmodels model never rose above 1000 in 2002. In 2008 the highest production number for a single netmodels model was 500. Sky 500 only in 2008 could match the latest netmodels figures, but both netmodels and Sky500 in terms of release numbers did not make very intensive use of their 747-moulds. herpa since 2009 had no chance to come even near to the 2002-netmodels figures as the gold digging times were long gone.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: