Herpa mysteries... - Page 3 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #31
lightsaberoperator

pooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast icon
Re: Herpa mysteries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by getifero View Post
Your first example could be announced by herpa and be blocked by LOT-Management for many years. The second example would suite Sky500 (if they had access to the mould).

You're damned right.
We can not expect these beauties to be realized quickly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #32
Second Officer

getifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooohaty View Post
We can not expect these beauties to be realized quickly...
Yes it’s a tough world.

Broken contracts, broken moulds
Lame excuses being retold
Broken dreams in collectors heads
Wings900 mystery threads
Too many wishes left unspoken
Everything is broken

[NOT WRITTEN BY BOB DYLAN]
getifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #33
Captain

uncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top dog

Quote:
Yes it’s a tough world.

Broken contracts, broken moulds
Lame excuses being retold
Broken dreams in collectors heads
Wings900 mystery threads
Too many wishes left unspoken
Everything is broken

[NOT WRITTEN BY BOB DYLAN]

VERSE TWO:

I really enjoyed this poem,
the words are sad but true.
Why Herpa is the only 1:500 maker,
I have not a clue!

Faithful to the 1:500 scale,
we collect and buy without fail.
One has to worry, however,
is this product line about to set sail?

We can only hope and pray,
that the company is here to stay.
I love my 1:500 models,
and wish that Herpa will not fade away!

Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #34
RJ First Officer

B-HUF is flying under the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish Air Transport View Post
Or Jumbo Hostel located in Stockholm Arlanda airport...
Or perhaps one of these:

Old 05-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #35
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Shhhh, don't talk about it! Herpa people might be seeing this thread! Don't let them see these pics
Old 05-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #36
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

The Whole Story.

Everything started when i was very young, during a study trip to UK: i arrived to London "Heathrow" with a B747SP of an African airline, maybe South African Airways coming from Johannesburg via Rome and arriving to London. I remained surprised by the beauty of the airplane so i started to study the airlines, the airplanes, the liveries, scheduled/charter flights, the first LCC, etc.
Then, in 1996, it was the day of "Independence Day" movie premiere here in Rome: i was waling toward the cinema when, in front of Galleria San Carlo shop in Corso Street, i was amazed by three Herpa models: Lybian Arab Airlines B727-200, Royal Jordanian A320 and Royal Jordanian L-1011.
They were three old generation models, extremely ugly compared with those of the year 2019, but at my eyes they were amazing! So i started to collect models...
During the first years '90 i received a book with some leisure/charter airlines: i liked them, their liveries, their colors, the non-scheduled -> charter operations, and the leisure atmosphere around them because of the holiday spots served by them.
But, during my collection, i was always disappointed by Herpa: so many beautiful leisure airlines with striking liveries not produced by the German manufacturer, clearly focused on legacy and flag carriers and, among them, especially on widebodies.
Each batch of news without at least one leisure/charter or low cost airline i was disappointed: it is in my collector DNA, i love them even having never flown with them! My only leisure airline experience has been Rome - Santorini, operated by Blue-express, the leisure/charter brand of the already leisure Blue Panorama airlines (the experience was wonderful).
From 1995 to 2015 too many leisure/charter/low cost airlines passed away without seeing them at least reproduced in 1:500 scale:
Volare airlines, Volareweb, Axon Airlines, EUJet, GirJet, Excel Airways-> XL Airways UK, Sterling.dk, Air One, Volar, Alpi Eagles, WindJet, Futura, Helios, Eurocypria, Primera, Airtours, Primair, Aeris, Euralair, Axis Airways, Air Slovakia, Slovak Airlines etc. etc. etc.
Herpa seemed to do it on purpose, not releasing them: even for flag carriers like British Airways and Finnair, Herpa never realized the two airplanes used for leisure flights, the Finnair B757-200WL and the British Airways B737-400

About SAS, using the B737-800 for leisure flights to many European airports, after many requests Herpa realized it...but this is matter of another mystery.
Then let me arrive at Novair: why this unknown airline?
For these pics:

These pics show two Novair A321's in leisure/holiday airports, ready to loading7unloading passengers.
These pics are the essence of leisure/holiday civil world: sea, sand, sun, airplanes with striking liveries, holidaymakers ready to spent their holidays in the better spots, loaded by ad hoc airlines and flights.
But Novair is also a love for another pic:

the wonderful Novair L-1011, a superb model. What Herpa did? Released the A330-200...incredible!
My love for Novair and the other Scandinavian airlines of the past and the present is also feeded by my respect, love, passion for Scandinavian countries, history and people.
For this reason i always wanted airlines like MDAirline (MD-80), Sterling.dk (B737-700WL with the red livery and the two hearts on the tail fin), TUIfly Nordic (B757, B737-800...what Herpa released??? the B767-300WL!!! incredible to believe!), JetTime (B737-700WL and B737-300WL), Primera (demised, B737-700WL and B737-800WL).
I must be sincere with you all: of course i am extremely happy for Novair A321neo release, but once again Herpa made me a bit disappointed. The model in production has "Apollo" written on the fuselage, not "Novair"; the two 1:1 Novair A321neo's, in fact, flies for Apollo, the Swedish tourism agency feeding Novair!
Really insatiable!

(by Charter)

Charter airlines lover
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #37
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

6) The sixth mystery is strictly linked to Novair A321neo release.
Do you remember what happened many years ago, with the "Most Wanted Models" threads, full of participation among collectors and with many polls?
There were important models missing in 1:500 scale and, among them, the most wanted

British Airways A320
Aer Lingus A320
SAS B737-800WL
(i add Novair A321neo, a most wanted model only for me).
The mystery is: did Herpa produced these models (including Novair) because we have "forced" the manufacturer with our e-mails, letters, requests, complaints, or it was only a case, indeed four cases (including Novair)?

Charter airlines lover
Old 05-08-2019, 03:36 PM   #38
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

I believe Herpa produced the Novair A321 because of your request. Of course, they first talked to the airline, had their studies about possible demand, etc etc.

I also believe I had some influence in the release of both Blue Panorama 767 and PAWA MD-83, since both models were always present in my emails. The irony is that now PAWA is bankrupt (they ceased ops before Herpa released the model) and now the model doesn't interest me anymore. I bet some people might get angry at me for this

It's cool to drop some suggestions to Herpa from time to time.
Bulgarian Air Charter MD-82 was also a request I did once, I guess you did it too at some point, Charter!

Last edited by LeoMuse747; 05-08-2019 at 04:03 PM.
LeoMuse747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #39
The Dark Side

You could be right Leo.
Yes, me too asked for the Bulgarian Air Charter MD-80.
I think that for British Airways A320, SAS B737-800WL and Aer Lingus A320 it has been a collective effort, also seen how many collectors wanted these three models.

Charter airlines lover
Old 05-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #40
Captain

uncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top dog

I think both Leo and Alessandro are right in thinking that Herpa produced certain models, at least in part, based on their suggestions/requests. Indeed, the company must value hearing about what things collectors are dreaming about, if for no other reason to take the "pulse" of the 1:500 segment of the hobby. Because of the inputs to this forum that I have made regarding some of the models that I would like to see produced, I myself want to take partial credit (LOL) for the upcoming release of the AA 777-200 NC!!. . . and hopefully someday a batch of American Airlines 321 NC (offered with both fenced wingtips and sharklets), and maybe even the repair of the broken 737 classic mold.

And now, some related (and serious) food for thought. Although I can be as critical as anyone around here, and even though I know that we will never get everything we want, I think it is appropriate to express our gratitude and thanks to Herpa. We should consider Herpa our friend and ally, because all of the other 1:500 manufacturers have come and gone, but only Herpa is still with us. If they bail out of this segment, we're finished. This means that we have to accept the predictable, continuous re- re- re-leases of models that are cash cows for the company (like Lufthansa, Emirates, etc.) which offset losses from the more esoteric, exotic, and eccentric models that Herpa does on occasion indulge we serious collectors with!
Furthermore, I wish that the numerous 'guests' that up to this point are mysterious visitors to this forum would become members, and that members would be more active in placing comments in the threads and submitting material. This is a very specialized, tiny hobby and Wings900 is a critical outlet, and is truly the glue that holds us all together.

Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 05-09-2019 at 04:30 AM.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #41
Second Officer

getifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
The Whole Story...
Thank you for the »whole story« of Novair. But I don’t understand your disappointment regarding the »Apollo« lettering on their A321 neo. This is the actual livery, what is herpa supposed to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
...I think it is appropriate to express our gratitude and thanks to Herpa. We should consider Herpa our friend and ally...
herpa our »friend« and »ally«, who likes to position himself as focused on quality and accuracy (»detail is our passion«) but keeps making promises he can’t held, who time and again comes up with half-truths about mishaps and bad luck, who persists repeating reputation damaging mistakes, that in our perception could have been avoided so easily with just a little more carefulness and attention to detail. Yes our »friend« and »ally«, who can be as likeable customer friendly as disenchanting prone to error, we wish him all the best and would love to see him learn and overcome his short-comings. But he seems to be trapped in his inconsistencies and resistant to our advices, no matter how naive and little helpful these may sometimes actually be. It is with concern that we view him losing not only reputation but trust, see fellow collectors switching scale ore even dropping out, watch the gap between the desirable (+ technically possible; we see it realised in 1:400-scale!) and reality widen.

Personally I am grateful that herpa helped to preserve some great old moulds (among others MD 80; Lockheed Tristar) and over the years spurred the development of several outstanding new ones (sadly focusing quality on moulds of either military or Russian models). But I also regret that many moulds were lost or replaced by clearly inferior quality (747-400, 777-200, 757-200 to mention just a few) and that herpa lately abandoned the claim of true to scale gear-reproduction for single-aisle or regional aircraft (ATR, A320-family, A220).

If herpa »bails out« or continues to introduce low quality moulds it will not be the end of my (collector’s) life. My best wishes to herpa and all the people working for them at Dietenhofen, Hungary or China, but in first line a long and satisfied (collector’s) live for all of us, let us enjoy our hobby as long as we can and yes, let us continue to join here at Wings900.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #42
Second Officer

Some additional words about »friends« and »allies«:

Who can we love, who will be true?
Who only tends not to betray?
Who looks on us through our view
On what we do, on what we say?
Who never will spread defamation?
Who’ll keep us in a warm location?
Who lives at ease with our vice?
Who’s never bad and always nice?
It would be deeply self-denying,
To seek where such a treasure lies
Instead of self-love-exercise.
Dear reader why not just start trying
to love yourself, you are it worth!
No one deserves it more on earth.

[Excerpt from Eugene Onegin by Alexander Puschkin; I only know an adaptation in German and tried to adapt it here in English; as English is not my native language there might be far better (and direct) adaptations]
Old 05-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #43
RJ Second Officer

The_K is flying under the radar

In my oppinion SAS isn't so much interesting because it flies everywhere, but because it flies everything. I've counted at least 17 molds in 1:500 (the 1970s by IF500, newer ones by Herpa) and there are still some missing I think.
The_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #44
The Dark Side

Quote:
Thank you for the »whole story« of Novair. But I don’t understand your disappointment regarding the »Apollo« lettering on their A321 neo. This is the actual livery, what is herpa supposed to do?
In fact i wrote "just a bit disappointed"...
Even if for both TUI Airways B757-200WL and Novair/Apollo A321neo i am extremely happy!
Now, as written in the signature, "my new battle is for Neos B737-800WL"!

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 05-10-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #45
The Dark Side

7) The seventh mystery is about Herpa Wings Club.
The question is simple: if i pay about 100 euro for being Herpa Wings Club member, why the "exclusive"
models and WingsWorld magazine are sold even in the main aviation shops, very often at lower prices than those i pay?
A membership, especially if paid around 100 euro per year, shoud give something of really exclusive: Herpa Wings Club membership doesn't, because what Herpa offers to the members is offered also at Aviation Center Berlin, Aviationmegastore and maybe other aviation models shops around the world.
The only exclusive thing is the opportunity to vote for the 6 Club models released each year: from the list of 10 models only the Club members can express their vote, and the free-of-charge December model (not the Christmas model!) offered to the members. So i pay 100 euro a year to vote for a Club model that, if will not have enough votes, will never be released and for a Club model released on December.

I think it is very few for 100 euro!

Charter airlines lover

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: