Herpa mysteries... - Page 2 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #16
EmiratesTwoFourOneSuper

solicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Herpa mysteries...

Ale, interesting thread....Herpa mysteries like releasing the Emirates A380 Wildlife A6-EEI (aircraft repainted into the regular livery and the Green logo instead of the Red one which the actual aircraft carried)! Here’s what Herpa could’ve done...change the Aircraft ID to A6-EOM which carries that same livery on the Herpa model!
solicitor82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 10:18 AM   #17
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by solicitor82 View Post
Ale, interesting thread....Herpa mysteries like releasing the Emirates A380 Wildlife A6-EEI (aircraft repainted into the regular livery and the Green logo instead of the Red one which the actual aircraft carried)! Here’s what Herpa could’ve done...change the Aircraft ID to A6-EOM which carries that same livery on the Herpa model!
You mean this one

with this one

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #18
EmiratesTwoFourOneSuper

solicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobby

Absolutely my friend
solicitor82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #19
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by solicitor82 View Post
Absolutely my friend
A real mystery: a total carelessness for the customers! If a manufacturer produces models with high prices (and Herpa models reached very high prices, close to 1:400 models and, very often, more expensive of 1:400 models) the attention to details must be one of the most important goals!

3) The third mystery is Who copies Who!
After the demise of Big Bird, Netmodels, Aero500/Aeroclassics, Hogan and, especially, StarJets (a real Herpa competitor), Herpa has been the only 1:500 manufacturer.
As far as i remember, very few models were copied by the various manufacturers among manufacturers, if not anyone.
A completely different situation with the arrival of Sky500: during the (short) gold period of this manufacturer, when we all started to think they could be a real competitor for Herpa, too many models have been produced by both manufacturers.
Here some examples of the models i remember:

- Transaero B747-400 "Flight of Hope"
- Air China A330-200 "Capital Pavillion"
- Etihad Airways A330-200 "Manchester City"
- Jetstar A330-200
- Windrose A330-200
- Etihad Airways A330-200 "Milan Expo 2015"
- Etihad Airways A330-300 "Visit Abu Dhabi"
- WOW Air A330-300
- Saudia A330-300 "Saudi National Day"
- Finnair A340-300 "Angry Birds"

Maybe the copied models are more, but the question is:
"How is it possible to release the same models, with the same livery/special livery and releasing them with few days away from each other?".
Who copied who? Herpa copied Sky500? Sky500 copied Herpa? 10 models are many, really many: Sky500 produced models without asking license so it is strange they focused some production on the same Herpa models. But we can argue that Sky500 copied Herpa because very often Sky500 news announcement has been followed by Herpa announcing the same A330's released by Sky500.
A real mystery!

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:08 AM   #20
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

The unlicensed was probably acting as a parasite, taking the newly made tampo prints, painting techniques, etc. from the just-released Herpas, so the timing of arrival to market for both being so close together is no conicidence
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #21
RJ Second Officer

MarcSant is flying under the radar

Why Herpa will do the Freddy Mercury Boeing 789 with the old registration?
Why Herpa has done the 772ER of American with GE90 engines?
etc, etc, etc.

MarcSant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #22
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSant View Post
Why Herpa has done the 772ER of American with GE90 engines?
Not just American. All Herpa 777s with the updated mould (with laterally inserted wings) have GE90 engines as the only option. Another Herpa mystery... no care at all about detail!
Old 05-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #23
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I think the 777-200 (LR & ER) mould is due for an overhaul anyway. It's quite worn out; the nose is becoming too pointy and the model slopes down..

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #24
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
The unlicensed was probably acting as a parasite, taking the newly made tampo prints, painting techniques, etc. from the just-released Herpas, so the timing of arrival to market for both being so close together is no conicidence
Really sad. And the demise of Sky500, even if this manufacturer wasn't "great" as Starjets, is yet another hard hit to our poor 1:500 scale world.

4) The fourth mystery is about La Tante Restaurant DC-10.
Instead of producing something acceptable, few years ago Herpa announced this model:

Honestly speaking i thought "WOW, there is Ghana flag on the tail fin so it will be a Ghana Airways DC-10 in a special livery advertising a restaurant".
This was my first thought; then i remembered the wonderful Ghana Airways DC-10 produced by Inflight500 and i was quite happy for Herpa decision to add a special livered DC-10 to the exisiting regular livery model.

Then, reading at Wings900 comments, i discovered that this DC-10 is a restaurant: it served Ghana Airways from 1993 to 2005 and then was converted into a restaurant in Accra (Ghana).
From Tripadvisor:
41 reviews (5 excellent, 14 very good, 12 good, 3 bad, 1 very bad), 3,5 votes over 5.
Probably i will never go to Accra, Ghana, but if i go there, reading the reviews, i will never go to this restaurant because it seems like a giant airplane-show with not-so-good quality of the food.

This is what can i say about this model.
Impossible to understand what Herpa team thought before/while/after the release of this DC-10.
Unuseful to say: with all the DC-10 to produce, why "La Tante Restaurant"???
I am sure someone will answer trying to find a solution to this mystery, but for me this is one of the greatest mysteries of human history!

Ghana Airways DC-10 by Inglight500.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 05-07-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #25
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

speaking of the La Tante DC-10... I really wouldn't be surprised if Herpa released the Corendon 747-400 being displayed in front of a hotel at AMS.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:06 AM   #26
Charter and regional

Danish Air Transport is flying under the radarDanish Air Transport is flying under the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
speaking of the La Tante DC-10... I really wouldn't be surprised if Herpa released the Corendon 747-400 being displayed in front of a hotel at AMS.
Or Jumbo Hostel located in Stockholm Arlanda airport...
Danish Air Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:03 AM   #27
RJ First Officer

SandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributor

I actually liked the Ghana DC-10. I didn't buy it but many of these planes feature at airports as facilities like the 742 Hostel at Stockholm. They add some character and are perfect for those of us with space to feature more landside facilities.

I'd rather the occasional one of these than yet another Emirates or Tui special livery.
SandborgAirport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #28
lightsaberoperator

pooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast icon

That is great idea how Herpa could utilize old moulds.
For example Ilyushin Il-18.
Don't you say you wouldn't buy it...

Old 05-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #29
Second Officer

getifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooohaty View Post
That is great idea how Herpa could utilize old moulds.
For example Ilyushin Il-18.
Don't you say you wouldn't buy it...
Your first example could be announced by herpa and be blocked by LOT-Management for many years. The second example would suite Sky500 (if they had access to the mould).

But back to topic:

1st mystery: Christmas models

Christmas models for many years now have proven to be reliable sales successes. herpa's »Advent calendars« (as much as I appreciated them as a collector) unfortunately were shelf warmers, because herpa packed in simply too much exotic/historic or otherwise unpopular models.

The charm of a Christmas model may be strange for many of us (including me), but it is only logical that herpa continues with popular series.

2nd mystery: Transaero Tu 204

From the many challenges in the realisation of a new model the cockpit window printing is one of the most sensitive. So it is hardly surprising that inaccuracies in this field can lead to hideous results. There are sadly many examples of poor cockpit window printing in all scales by nearly all manufacturers.

The Transaero Tu 204 (in the first version) could easily have the dubious honour of being the model with the ugliest face. But is it therefore a mystery?

We fail to understand why herpa time and again is prepared to take risks und to put quality controls on the bottom of the list. Well perhaps because »quality« never played the role in our scale we would have liked to have seen, but possibly also due to poor competition and lack of internal controls. If the market leader in the 1:500-scale segment of the model making industry survives only because of the constant financial support of an »independent gentleman« this is not a healthy situation.

3rd mystery: Who copies Who!

Wasn’t China the Eldorado of product piracy? Sorry for being prejudiced and at the same time naive enough to buy (from time to time) products of obscure Chinese manufacturers like Sky500 because I don’t understand why aircraft-industry and airlines should obtain licence fees for just logos on airplane miniatures and their boxes (there was an ECJ-Judgement which dismissed a case Opel (at that time still GM) made against a model maker in 2007; but I am not particularly exercised in international and US-trademark law).

Now does Sky500 copy herpa? I very rarely buy a Sky500 model because the (special-) livery-range of that Hong Kong based manufacturer don’t match with my collection focus but as far as I can tell Sky500 models have other (and often more) details and (sometimes better, sometimes worse) colour reproduction. It is also incongruous for Sky500 to »copy« herpa and try to sell the »copies« 40% more expensive. In the past Inflight 500 (Witty Wings 2nd 1:500-scale trademark) »repeated« some Big Bird (Witty Wings 1st 1:500-scale trademark) releases. herpa did so later with Inflight 500 releases. Why finally the »coincidences« with Sky500; I don’t know, for me it is just by accident and nothing to turn into a story.

4th mystery: »La Tante Restaurant-DC-10«

This was an admittedly odd livery choice. Maybe Ghana Airport or Vindira Company (the owners) ordered a decent quantity and the leftovers were made palatable for »Club«-members.

5th mystery: The Novair A321 neo-release

Only Charter knows the whole story!

Last edited by getifero; 05-07-2019 at 09:24 AM. Reason: problems editing: paragraphs are doubled
getifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #30
RJ Second Officer

Mill0r is appreciatedMill0r is appreciatedMill0r is appreciatedMill0r is appreciatedMill0r is appreciatedMill0r is appreciatedMill0r is appreciatedMill0r is appreciated

My personal Herpa misery:
Main landing gear of the Airbus A350-900 models
This flaw ruined so many beautiful models until now and I can't believe it would be too hard to correct them as they are only plastic parts!
Mill0r is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: