My loved B737 classic: B737-300/400/500. - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
My loved B737 classic: B737-300/400/500.

Ciao to all.
How can we "live" without B737-300, B737-400, B737-500 1:500 scale???!!! I can't and i am happy great members agree on the fact that Herpa should produce these models.
I don't think there is low demand for the B737 classic: this family is too beautiful and too important for the civil aviation world to be considered part of "low demand" models like the A318 or the Dornier 328 jet!
And, the real question is: broken mould or low demand? Herpa made a great magic telling us "the mould is broken and it is too expensive to adjust it, especially because of the low demand"... Having three difefrent lenghts, i imagine that only the B737-300 mould is broken: what about the B737-400 and the B737-500? And, again, why Herpa doesn't propose some B737-400 and B737-500 models checking if the customers demand is really too low?
Too many questions without an answer, with some collectors/Wings900 members explaining them with an unwavering faith in Herpa and in what they make, even if wrong.
Wrong for me, for us, for all the customers and collectors wanting more B737 classic in their fleets and collections. Who decides if something is right or wrong? The market. Who is the "market"? Us collectiors and customers, the clients, those spending a lot of money for 1:500 pieces of metal and plastic. Why don't asking us what we want and if we want more B737-300, B737-400, B737-500 in our fleets and collections? Why don't ask to clients if they want to spend money for the "old, ugly, dated" B737-300/400/500 mould?
Said that, let me start to share my most loved B737 classic models.
Enjoy.

Charter airlines lover
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: My loved B737 classic: B737-300/400/500.

Freedom Air
Airline from New Zealand, it operated from 1995 to 2008 using B737-300's and A320's.
Herpa model, B737-300 ZK-SJC, was delivered to Freedom Air fleet in 2001.

Charter airlines lover
Old 04-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #3
The Dark Side

Mekong Airlines
Founded in 2002 in Cambodia, the B737-500 was in service among January and October 2003, date of the end of the business for the airline.
XU-735, the only B737-500 in Mekong Airlines fleet, was delivered in 2003.
What a masterpiece! What would we like more? "Low demand" for something like this???!!! I cannot believe!

Charter airlines lover

Old 04-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #4
Captain

uncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top dog

I totally agree with your analysis!! You are so right, not only to question the validity of the 'broken mold' excuse, but as COLLECTORS, there is an extremely important place in this scale for the 737 classic, and I will also add the 737-200 to this!! I want to see OC of Gulf Air, Saudia, Egyptair, Air Tanzania (with the amazing giraffe on the tail), Aerolineas Argentinas, Aloha Airlines, Bahamasair (blue and yellow striped edition), and of course anything Brazilian. The list of models that are lacking is HUGE. Please Herpa, we have been loyal to you, do not start abandoning entire segments of the model lineup--this is the beginning of the end of the road / death knell for the entire 1:500 scale. My previous suggestion of the "Classic Series' model department should be considered. If indeed the molds are broken, then it is time for the hobby to move forward in terms of cost-saving technology, perhaps using 3-D printed plastic models instead of die cast metal to save production costs. I have some plastic models and they are just fine, and they are clearly much easier to produce with milling machinery doing all the work instead of labor-intensive metal casting techniques. Doing things this way, maybe the operation could be returned to GERMANY from China! And, production times might be reduced as well. A win-win for the company and for collectors, just sayin.'

Regards,

Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
I totally agree with your analysis!! You are so right, not only to question the validity of the 'broken mold' excuse, but as COLLECTORS, there is an extremely important place in this scale for the 737 classic, and I will also add the 737-200 to this!! I want to see OC of Gulf Air, Saudia, Egyptair, Air Tanzania (with the amazing giraffe on the tail), Aerolineas Argentinas, Aloha Airlines, Bahamasair (blue and yellow striped edition), and of course anything Brazilian. The list of models that are lacking is HUGE. Please Herpa, we have been loyal to you, do not start abandoning entire segments of the model lineup--this is the beginning of the end of the road / death knell for the entire 1:500 scale. My previous suggestion of the "Classic Series' model department should be considered. If indeed the molds are broken, then it is time for the hobby to move forward in terms of cost-saving technology, perhaps using 3-D printed plastic models instead of die cast metal to save production costs. I have some plastic models and they are just fine, and they are clearly much easier to produce with milling machinery doing all the work instead of labor-intensive metal casting techniques. Doing things this way, maybe the operation could be returned to GERMANY from China! And, production times might be reduced as well. A win-win for the company and for collectors, just sayin.'

Regards,

Pete
Honestly speaking, i was delighted by your comment of some days ago:

"Herpa never realized so many beautiful classic liveries (both in the 737 Classic and 737-200 iterations) and as a truly loyal and high-spending, long-term customer I find it both saddening and infuriating with their statement that with the 'broken mold,' they won't make models of these planes again.
Are you kidding me??? What a weak excuse. I am a dentist and virtually all of our prosthetic work is done with molds, for me personally over 150 cases a week--each one being a unique and custom job and much more precision-dependent than these 1:500 replicas will ever be. Indeed, now in the clinic we have digital scanners that make this process even easier and almost instantaneous. There is no good reason in 2019 not to renew/remake/repair/re-whatever the 737 mold.
I hate to say this again, but you don't see scenarios like this in the 1:400 realm where there is COMPETITION!! The Herpa monopoly in 1:500 has been increasingly bad for collectors; in hindsight I wish I would have been in 1:400 all along but with 700+ 1:500 models I am kind of stuck in this scale : (
Now, enough of my ranting. A solution would be that to satisfy the collecting requirements in low-demand situations, Herpa should consider creating a low-volume department that charges more but satisfies the numerous niche markets which exist in this hobby with regards to classic liveries, old/extinct airlines and airliners, remote world regions, etc. This would be a win-win for the company and collectors alike, and would greatly restore our faith in Herpa, which up to this point was like a trusted friend in the scale. . .".

From this comment i wanted to give a tribute to our beautiful B737 classic models (B737-300, B737-400, B737-500), except the B737-100/200 because Herpa continued to produce these two versions until last months.
The reason "broken mould + low demand" is unacceptable, even if true (and i don't think it is true), for the reasons you wrote in your beautiful comment.
Too many B737-300, B737-400, B737-500 in 1:500 scale and just one manufacturer that doesn't want to produce them! Really sad. Having more manufacturers besides meaning more competition and more offer, means also more variety and the possibility to have models, liveries, airlines that others don't want or can't produce.

Charter airlines lover
Old 04-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #6
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
What a masterpiece! What would we like more? "Low demand" for something like this???!!! I cannot believe!
I can understand where the low demand for this particular model is coming from, but I understand too little of Herpa's demand calculations that I can't judge their decision regarding the general -300/-400/-500 series
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
I can understand where the low demand for this particular model is coming from, but I understand too little of Herpa's demand calculations that I can't judge their decision regarding the general -300/-400/-500 series
I can't and i don't want to judge! But in my country, and i am sure in all the countries of the world, there is a way to say "the client is always right", translated is "who spend money, especially a lot of money, is always right"! Of course we can't and must not judge the marketing of a company, but as customers we can share our impressions and considerations and them, spending a lot of money for the products offered by the company, must have (or "should have") an important weight in the company marketing decisions and choices.
I don't want to use the word "stupid" but i continue to consider in this way some choices, like spending a lot of money for a Beluga or Dornier Do328 jet or Tu-144 (a beautiful model, right, but with no future because very few models can be produced) instead of invest resources and money in adjusting or even updating the broken/old B737 classic mould.
I can't and i don't want to judge, ok, but i am sure there are more demands of a B737-300 than a Tu-144, or a Do328 jet!

Charter airlines lover
Old 04-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #8
The Dark Side

Look at these models released by Herpa...in the wrong scale, personally speaking! Three beautiful models 8starting to collect even 1:400 models i has the lucky to buy Euralair B737-800 with the Frog on the tail).
Aeris (1999-2003) has been a French leisure/charter airline; Binter Canarias is a Spanish airline based in Gran Canaria island and performing inter-island services with some international routes in North Africa and Portugal: the B737-400 EC-ENQ has been delivered in 2005 and painted in the stunning special livery (that is a SPECIAL LIVERY!) sharing everything about sea, sun, sand and holidays.
Why i post these two Herpa models here? Because for many years, and i am sure i am not alone thinking this, i was convinced Herpa announced some news producing them in 1:200 (and sometimes 1:400) scale: this happened for many models of the past but, unfortunately, not for these two wonderful B737s. A real pity, a shame, a lost occasion to have incrediblt beautiful B737 classic in our hands.
I must also say that Herpa produced wonderful 1:400 models, nothing to envy to other manufacturers (Geminy, Phoenix, etc.).

Aeris B737-300 (1:200)

Binter Canarias B737-400 (1:200)

A dear friend asked me: with Herpa speech about the broken/old B737 classic mould and the "low demand" question, it is the end for Herpa and 1:500 collection? Maybe not the end in literal sense, because there are many airlines, liveries and new generation families airliners, but Herpa is losing power and reliability, even being the only 1:500 manufacturer (and without competitors)!
Even the cancellation of the Vladivostok-Avia Tu-204-300 (beautiful and one of the most wanted Russian models according to some rumors), of the Lauda Air B737-800WL and the Sudan Air A300 has been a hard blow for Herpa; many collectors around the world (not only part of Wings900 family) were waiting for these models, and Herpa once again disappointed us. And this disappointment can't be replaced by the production of Dornier 328Jet or Shorts 360 or Beluga or Tu-144! For me and, believe me, for many colectors i personally know.
Sudan Airways...another black spot in Herpa history: one of the few African airlines possibly released, the beautiful and rare A300 and Herpa cancels the model. Unbelievable.
I am really curious to know how many clients Herpa has lost in the last years: here in Europe but also in USA and other parts of the world. Really, really curious. We can not recognize this because Herpa is the only 1:500 manufacturer and they haven't competitors (they haven't the breath on their necks of other manufacturers and competitors, something really useful to obtain better quality, better moulds, better variety, better prices), but Wings900 could be a indicator of what has happened around the world with the many collectors who stopped to buy Herpa 1:500 models (at least ten in Italy, collectors who spent tens of thousands money each year) or that switched to 1:400 scale: i am sure Herpa lost a lot.

Charter airlines lover
Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #9
Captain

uncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top dog

I have to say, a world without old 737 airplanes, is like a world without sunshine.

If these models disappear from the 1:500 scale, we airplane lovers have to suffer a second death--the first one from the real 1:1 airplanes being retired and ultimately broken up into scrap material, and now the unthinkable decision by Herpa to no longer produce them as models!

We collectors are the stewards of this branch of aviation history, and we must defend it and preserve it!!

Even those collectors who aren't really interested in these exact 737 models need to stand together with us based on principle alone--remember, YOUR favorite aircraft type might be the next one to go -- for that matter, the entire 1:500 segment!

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-22-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
The Dark Side

Really well said Pete! I hope even more people will understand and will agree what we are saying.

Charter airlines lover
Old 04-23-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
The Dark Side

Skynet Asia Airways.
Founded in 2002 in Japan, then in 2011 it becomes Solaseed Air. Skynet Asia Airways had a fleet of 12 B737-400 and Herpa model, JA737A, arrived in fleet in 2002 and in 2011 it has been repainted in Solaseed Air livery.

Charter airlines lover
Old 04-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
The Dark Side

Japan Transocean Air.
Airline founded in in Japan in 1993, still active. The airline uses 2 B737-400 and 12 B737-800WL.

The B737-400 JA8939 arrived in 1999 and it is still active in wonderful "Jimbei Jet" colors.
Unuseful B737-400 Herpa? I don't think! This is a masterpiece!!!
How many models like this could be produced???!!!

Charter airlines lover
Old 04-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #13
The Dark Side

Before to continue with more Herpa B737 classics i want to share my love for, in my humble opinion, one of the two most beautiful B737-400s ever: US Airways (the second is British Airways).
A real shame we haven't this model in 1:500 scale, a dramatic loss for each collector!

Charter airlines lover
Old 04-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #14
Captain

I really love that Japan Transocean Air--I must now find one--it is amazing!!

Thanks for sharing these beautiful pieces of aviation history on this forum--maybe at some point, unfortunately all we will have left are memories and some pictures on the internet. . . and a few 1:500 models that people are suddenly fighting for on E-bay, fetching exorbitant prices due to scarcity.

Sometimes I feel helpless, like I am watching an amazing creature approaching extinction

We need to act now, before it is too late.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #15
The Dark Side

You're welcome great Pete!

Ukraine International.
Not the best model realized by Herpa, even because along with the B737-200 Ukraine International B737-300 has been realized in old generation (rolling wheels). I transformed it in new generation and for me this model is an icon until Herpa will realize the B737-800WL or the B737-900ER.
For me a real masterpiece would be an Ukraine International B737-500WL, a little gem.
UR-GAH has been refitted with winglets and then re-registered as UR-CQW.

Charter airlines lover

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: