Herpa NGV A321 modification - JetBlue A321 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby
Herpa NGV A321 modification - JetBlue A321

Hi everyone!
I decided to post this here (not on Custom Models section) because I think this thread could maybe bring some more discussion about Herpa A320-family tooling (both current and NGV moulds)... and also because I consider this as a minor modification, not enough to be called as a real "custom model"

Anyway... just got my JetBlue A321 and I've decided to modify it.
I was avoiding this model because of the horrible NGV mould. The nose gear tire is too big, the nose is too long, and the engines/pylons are huge. The engine sits too close to the ground (models with IAE engines seem to be the worst).

However, since I buy models to use in my airport, it was kinda unavoidable: I had to buy a JetBlue A321, since it is present on many Caribbean airports.
After seeing Carlos "Faucett Peru" nice pylon modifications on this thread, I decided to take a shot too.

And also, I had some spare landing gears, so I also replaced the tires with smaller ones (from Herpa NG1 737NG).

Here's the model without the engines and nose gear tires.
Looks like a brand new A321 for JetBlue, parked up at Hamburg Finkenwerder, awaiting the engines before delivery flight

I've used a nail file to trim down the pylon. It was a damn boring job, but someone had to do it there's a bit of metal dust on the fuselage, but I wiped it off later.

Work finished!
The pylon might not look like the real one, but IMHO it looks much better to see the engine closer to the wing now. I've also moved the engine a little bit forward.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be only a pylon problem: the engine is also a bit too big, and the shape of it doesn't help. The "Jetblue.com" titles look crooked now because of the new engine position.

Here's a comparison pic.
So, these were the modifications:

- Smaller nose gear tires
- Trimmed engine pylons
- Engine placed a bit forward

I wish I could figure a way to reduce the nose size, but that is definitely too complicated for me

If Herpa had done these corrections when they still had the NGV mould, it would actually be a very nice mould. The current mould is also nice, but some flaws still remain.

Hope you all enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
Doctor Custom

PT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobby
Re: Herpa NGV A321 modification - JetBlue A321

Well done, Leo!!!

Always keep improving! 'The excellency of today will be future's mediocrity.'
PT-TAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I like how the nosegear turned out, the engines look good too with the increased clearance. However, I might not be the biggest fan of the tilted Jetblue engine titles..
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-TAA View Post
Well done, Leo!!!
Thank you SÚrgio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
I like how the nosegear turned out, the engines look good too with the increased clearance. However, I might not be the biggest fan of the tilted Jetblue engine titles..
I also disliked it, Thom
But the thing is: the shape of the engines is kinda weird. The upper part is too inclined because it needs to fit the big pylons. The engines are placed a bit tilted on the model, so Herpa placed the JetBlue titles levelled. Sooooo, when you correct the angle of the engines, the JetBlue titles will be tilted right away... the only way to correct it is by placing decals, which I might do at some point.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

A nice improvement Leo!

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
Wings of Wool

sheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributorsheepxs is a good contributor

always impressed with the prestidigitation of some people here, i would probably just have destroyed the model on accident.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
I also disliked it, Thom
But the thing is: the shape of the engines is kinda weird. The upper part is too inclined because it needs to fit the big pylons. The engines are placed a bit tilted on the model, so Herpa placed the JetBlue titles levelled. Sooooo, when you correct the angle of the engines, the JetBlue titles will be tilted right away... the only way to correct it is by placing decals, which I might do at some point.
Yeah nothing you can do about it, it's printed to make sense on the original Herpa model. If you could do it with decals, that'd be amazing. Don't get me wrong; I do like the increased clearance. I think it'd look even better with a model that has no printing on the engines!
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
Selfie with bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingslover View Post
A nice improvement Leo!
Thank you Alberic!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepxs View Post
always impressed with the prestidigitation of some people here, i would probably just have destroyed the model on accident.
hahaha I'm also afraid to break my models, specially because they're expensive and I have to wait months for their arrival at my home however, with some skills and being very careful, some modifications can be done.

I've also worked on my A330s, making the gears shorter by trimming them with nail files. Take a look at the Air Berlin and Eurowings A330s

https://www.wings900.com/vb/1-500-sc...ification.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Yeah nothing you can do about it, it's printed to make sense on the original Herpa model. If you could do it with decals, that'd be amazing. Don't get me wrong; I do like the increased clearance. I think it'd look even better with a model that has no printing on the engines!
I'll get some decals to correct it. Meanwhile, i'll use Photoshop to correct the titles when I take pics of this A321 at my airport. The wonders of Photoshop!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #9
Earning My Wings

CS300 is flying under the radar

Also the doors seem too large on the JetBlue A321. I would have bought it if it looked better. Also the Delta A321, the engine position is completely wrong with these models. They are crooked.
CS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
Selfie with bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS300 View Post
Also the doors seem too large on the JetBlue A321. I would have bought it if it looked better. Also the Delta A321, the engine position is completely wrong with these models. They are crooked.
You think? The doors look fine to me.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129166...7/37317788611/
The too long nose bothers me much more!

The Delta A321 is also poor, with ugly pylons, nose gear and nose

Tags
a321, herpa, modification, ngv, pylon

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: