Rotting models... afraid to buy again! 😂 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:400 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #1
Earning My Wings

EPRLimit is flying under the radar
Rotting models... afraid to buy again! 😂

Hello. First post here. Been collecting about 20 years and as I was dusting my curio cabinets I noticed a handful of models that appear to be self-destructing! Just sort of rotting. I’m honestly afraid to waste any more money. What brands can I truly trust? Btw, all my models have been indoors with normal a/c. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Rotting models... afraid to buy again! 😂-0350e816-ce1b-4c7d-b495-917cc4bbbde1_1611865435793.jpg   Rotting models... afraid to buy again! 😂-4707a21d-411e-4547-a73d-a2cb5bd749c8_1611865456896.jpg   Rotting models... afraid to buy again! 😂-45fed8af-2f3e-482b-83e2-ce0176e181ff_1611865471609.jpg  
EPRLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2021, 07:21 AM   #2
Earning My Wings

tropicalista is flying under the radar
Re: Rotting models... afraid to buy again! 😂

Hello, first of all welcome to the forum your models are suffering from "zinc plague breakage".
If I say something wrong, someone correct me.
It seems that in the past (and I do not know today if this danger could be incurred or if it has been resolved) the models were built with a metal alloy that contained parts of zinc, if the zinc is in an inadequate quantity, over time runs into this phenomenon, where the models become shortcrust pastry and practically disintegrate in the hand.
Unfortunately, nothing can be done, only hope that the models (especially the 747s) are not affected by this phenomenon.
The 737, on the other hand, I don't understand the problem, as I see that the wings flex a lot upwards. But are they metal or plastic?
Sorry but I don't understand from the photos.
tropicalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #3
Earning My Wings

Thanks for your reply! Yes, the SMA 737’s have cracking paint and the most obvious problem is the flexing wings. Guess my main concern is the numerous “brands” producing models and I’m wondering which ones to trust going forward. I’ve had zero problems with my Gemini Jets!

Old 02-10-2021, 05:53 AM   #4
Earning My Wings

tropicalista is flying under the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPRLimit View Post
Thanks for your reply! Yes, the SMA 737ís have cracking paint and the most obvious problem is the flexing wings. Guess my main concern is the numerous ďbrandsĒ producing models and Iím wondering which ones to trust going forward. Iíve had zero problems with my Gemini Jets!
Honestly I'm not a super expert, but they speak very highly of Phoenix and NG Model.
Gemini I have seen that many people have had problems with landing gears.
I have NG Models, a Gemini Jets, but really very old, a first version here ...
The differences can be seen, but I cannot compare the two objects, as they are from different periods.
tropicalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Hi welcome to Wings900 family.
Not the best way to start a thread, unfortunately they are affected by zinc rot pest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_pest
No way to save them, they are condemned. My suggestion: try to find them again, especially the models having a special place in your collector-heart.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:05 PM   #6
Earning My Wings

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Sad to see your models were affected by the zinc rot!
At least you can keep some gears and engines as spare parts. Maybe even sell them to help other collectors with broken models.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #8
Earning My Wings

After reflecting on this issue it would be nice if the manufacturers or even distributors would provide some sort of guarantee against this zinc issue or promise a 50% credit towards a replacement or future purchase. A small token of kindness or reassurance such as this would go a long way imho. Just my 2 cents worth... would help me want to buy again. Thanks everyone for your replies!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: