Gemini quality going downhill? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:400 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
people's been to space

JanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dog
Gemini quality going downhill?

Last year I bought an AA A321, the model arrived in pieces. I asked retailers, they all said most of their models arrived in the same way. It took months for one retailer to get some from GJ that were in one piece.

Recently, I bought the AA 737 chrome livery. Similarly, one of the wings was unglued, and when I contacted the retailer, they said that mine was in better shape than most. Not only that, but it turns out the stabilizers are made out of plastic. The price of a 737 (really every GJ model) has jumped about $10 in the past five or so years yet quality hasn't followed suit. The only new things that they've added are antennae and rolling gears, and at least one of those gears doesn't roll.

The UA 737 I bought didn't have any issues with regards to pieces falling off but it did have the plastic stabilizers and tail. If I had known, I would have bought the Aeroclassics model. They have their issues but I don't think they're plastic.

What's going on? A while back they complained about NG Models on Instagram and a lot of the little plane kids started sucking up to GJ ("oh, I already ordered this NG Model 757, is it ok if i still get it" and "I will never buy unlicensed because that means someone else can copyright the model" were two idiotic comments I saw). Do they expect the brand name and not the quality to keep them running? I know I'd much rather buy the unique releases from NG Models instead of (checks notes) yet another Emirates A380.

Check out the Aeropuerto de Rayo!

Add your airports to the Airports of Wings900 Wiki!
JanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
Only I didn't say Fudge..

United930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dogUnited930 is a top dog
Re: Gemini quality going downhill?

I can certainly understand the frustration. However, it's not a universal thing. For example:

When adding 737MAXs to my collection I determined that Gemini was the better looking (for my eye) than AeroClassics. I was unhappy with the fact that Gemini molded the engine pyons sererately from the wings, which creates one more attachment point that can be assembled poorly. The resuld is often engines that point upward on some models, but I purchase two at a time...pick the better one...and return the other.

My most recent comparison is the United 737-800 in the new livery. Between NG and Gemini it ended up being Gemini that won again. I found the engines on the NG model to be too small and "curled" inward.

I clearly don't purchase as many models as others so the percentage of models that I recieve that are damaged or poorly assembled is very low. I will agree that the choices of their releases are quite annoying at times. Still waiting for that United 777-300ER...
United930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
Earning My Wings

Intomyplanes is getting startedIntomyplanes is getting startedIntomyplanes is getting startedIntomyplanes is getting started
It may have been a one off bad batch that you unfortunately received I quite think Gemini are ok with a good choice of aircraft most of my models are Gemini and I haven’t had any issues apart from one where a wheel came off but that was down to me being to eager getting it out of the box not a fault with model
Intomyplanes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2020, 06:25 AM   #4
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby
I've been keeping tabs on the Facebook groups. It seems Gemini forgetting to glue the models is becoming quite a common theme, especially with 737s and A32xs...
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
RJ Second Officer

airbus2000 is flying under the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOT 737-300 View Post
I've been keeping tabs on the Facebook groups. It seems Gemini forgetting to glue the models is becoming quite a common theme, especially with 737s and A32xs...
Hope not, I've got on pre-order the American A320!
airbus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #6
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus2000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOT 737-300 View Post
Hope not, I've got on pre-order the American A320!
Thankfully it's a small issue that can be easily fixed with a small dab of Elmer's glue on the tabs.

I've had it happen before when this was the norm with some of the Pheonix factory made 767-300WLs back in 2008.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:02 PM   #7
Earning My Wings

TomDowdican is flying under the radar

I am new to collecting 1:400 Diecast jets with 16 so far and one on the way. All of mine are from Gemini Jets and I have no problem with any of them. But I have nothing else to compare with at this time.
TomDowdican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:28 PM   #8
Як-40 Капитан

Gemini is typically safe to buy. Just seems they're having an issue with glue over the last year. I've seen this back in 2008, most with examples made in the same factory where Pheonix was made at the time.

Thankfully nothing too fatal to the model. Small application of Elmer's glue can fix it. Some suggest Krazyglue, but that is pretty rough on paint and could screw up the finish.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #9
Second Officer

N3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobby

Tom,

Welcome to the forum. All of us were new to collecting at one time and I know anyone here will give you any help you ask for.

As mentioned above there can be assembly issues and occasionally there can be uneven paint lines and maybe a paint smear or two. Most of this can only be seen with a close-up lens and from normal viewing distance, for instance in a model airport layout, they aren't noticeable.

Some folks here really, really, really know their airliners and point out incorrect shapes to various parts on the aircraft from a given manufacturer. They will indicate which manufacturers come the closest to getting one particular aircraft just right.

Each manufacturer has their winners and their not so winners. You will catch on fast as you continue to collect.

Again, welcome to the bunch!
Old 05-27-2020, 03:14 AM   #10
A320 F/O

daniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobby

Personally for me i don't buy anything in 1:400 from Gemini unless i don't have a choice (FlyDubai, Air Arabia, Emirates just as examples). They along with JC Wings have the worst Airbus narrowbody mould currently in production and despite numerous complaints and suggestions to change it or go back to their circa 2015 mould at least until they come up with a new one - it all falls on deaf ears, they are constantly forgoing adding details such as lower antennas (which they used to apply) to save an extra 0.001$, not to mention the construction and quality issues.

There's an entire page on Instagram dedicated to showing how bad GJ models can be when they are first taken out of the box! Not to mention their awful, awful approach to customer service, many people get blocked from their social media pages if they dare to ask a question or criticise the mighty Gemini Jets.

Problem is, i've been collecting a good 20 years now and have seen how good GJ can be! It's very frustrating to see how far they've fallen and how low they will stoop just to keep themselves convinced that they are the best of the best in this business. Pioneers maybe, but the best? Not any more.
daniel richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:45 AM   #11
Shining Through

FOPHJ is a top dogFOPHJ is a top dogFOPHJ is a top dogFOPHJ is a top dogFOPHJ is a top dogFOPHJ is a top dogFOPHJ is a top dogFOPHJ is a top dogFOPHJ is a top dogFOPHJ is a top dogFOPHJ is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel richardson View Post
Personally for me i don't buy anything in 1:400 from Gemini unless i don't have a choice (FlyDubai, Air Arabia, Emirates just as examples). They along with JC Wings have the worst Airbus narrowbody mould currently in production and despite numerous complaints and suggestions to change it or go back to their circa 2015 mould at least until they come up with a new one - it all falls on deaf ears, they are constantly forgoing adding details such as lower antennas (which they used to apply) to save an extra 0.001$, not to mention the construction and quality issues.

There's an entire page on Instagram dedicated to showing how bad GJ models can be when they are first taken out of the box! Not to mention their awful, awful approach to customer service, many people get blocked from their social media pages if they dare to ask a question or criticise the mighty Gemini Jets.

Problem is, i've been collecting a good 20 years now and have seen how good GJ can be! It's very frustrating to see how far they've fallen and how low they will stoop just to keep themselves convinced that they are the best of the best in this business. Pioneers maybe, but the best? Not any more.

Sad to hear about Gemini's bad approach to customer service. when I collected 1/500 in the past, Herpa was always good with customer service, even sending replacement models free of charge. BTW can you send me the instagram page you were referring too? Would be interested to check it out, Thanks !
Old 06-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #12
Earning My Wings

stephen1160 is flying under the radarstephen1160 is flying under the radar

I never realized there was much variation from one manufacturer to the next. I guess that's just me being naive. I would love to actually see how a die cast model is made, the process from start to finish (like one of those "how it's made" TV episodes). Guess I assumed the companies acquire the schematics from the actual aircraft manufacturer and go about "downsizing" it to the particular scale. As to the airline color schemes (livery) I again assumed they purchased the right to use them either from the existing airlines or whoever "owns" the copyright for defunct airlines.

I certainly have seen some slightly odd renditions in some airline colors but truthfully, the level of detail on these (relatively) tiny models continues to amaze me even after over 20 years of collecting.

When I have visitors to the house, I always show my displayed aircraft in 1:200, 1:250 and larger scales. Then I get one of my 1:400 models (which are all boxed and stored while awaiting the airport to be built) and most are flat blown away.

We used to have two Delta pilots as neighbors and both were probably the most impressed of anyone. One flew 737's and I gave him a DW model 737-800 (Delta of course). They other flew MD-80/90's and at the time no one had those in Delta so I think I gave him a USAir MD-82 JetX model.

All in all, the more experienced and serious one is about collecting the more likely they are to notice little (or not so little) flaws. Since mine are not yet on display, I haven't had the time to really scrutinize. But someday, I probably will.
stephen1160 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: