Wings900 Discussion Forums

Wings900 Discussion Forums (https://www.wings900.com/vb/)
-   1:1 Civil Aviation (https://www.wings900.com/vb/1-1-civil-aviation/)
-   -   A350: From Manufacturing to Flight Tests, First Deliveries, Entry into Service (https://www.wings900.com/vb/1-1-civil-aviation/63435-a350-manufacturing-flight-tests-first-deliveries-entry-into-service.html)

mmu69 12-04-2012 10:51 AM

A350: From Manufacturing to Flight Tests, First Deliveries, Entry into Service

Hi,

Here's a thread to cover the manufacturing and testing of the Airbus A350.

Flightglobal reports the first flying frame was completed (exterior) and moved on its on gear, w/ pictures!

PICTURES: First flying A350 prototype rolls out of assembly line

C'mon, A, paint her up and add some engines, so she can take to the skies! })

c5maier 12-05-2012 07:55 AM

re: A350: From Manufacturing to Flight Tests, First Deliveries, Entry into Service

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmu69 (Post 499566)
Hi,

[...]
C'mon, A, paint her up and add some engines, so she can take to the skies! })

Well, there is a bit more than that involved in it; from the official statement:

"The assembly work performed in Station 40 included the successful electrical power-on of the aircraft's entire fuselage and wings. Soon work in Station 30 will start by testing the aircraft's hydraulic system, followed by the full electric and hydraulic power-on of the aircraft which will be completed by around the end of the year. This will mark the start of several weeks of comprehensive functional system testing.

After the A350 XWB MSN-001 exits station 30, the aircraft will go through a series of extensive production and certification / development tests, be painted and have its engines installed. It will then be delivered to the flight-line and be readied for its first flight in mid-2013."

Or let us put it that way: We have not had the A350 roll-out yet and I am pretty confident that we will see a shorter elapsed time between roll-out and first flight that occurred on the last major new aircraft project in the western world (two years, five months).

So, herpa can slowly but surely get ready to produce the first models.

Christoph

mmu69 12-05-2012 08:59 AM

re: A350: From Manufacturing to Flight Tests, First Deliveries, Entry into Service

Quote:

Originally Posted by c5maier (Post 499734)
So, herpa can slowly but surely get ready to produce the first models.

I wouldn't be surprised if Herpa presented a prototype at the next Nuremberg Toy Fair.

I just hope they can establish a relationship with Airbus that will allow them to produce models in the house livery for general release. The house A380s were exclusive models and weren't even produced in the latest colors (with the A<380 scheme)...

El_Capitan 12-05-2012 09:47 AM

Man, it looks like a 787 + 2 extra cockpit windows.

mmu69 02-26-2013 01:41 PM

First A350 XWB with wings complete emerges for outdoor testing&#124; Airbus News & Events

A new phase of testing, outdoors for the first time. Still a strange sight without engines...

mmu69 03-08-2013 11:18 AM

More testing.

cameraman1031 04-16-2013 11:21 AM

A350 First Flight After Paris Air Show

I am not happy and very concerned about Boeing's "fire containment" solution. Does this mean that a fire could still occur:question:

By: Ghim-Lay Yeo Washington DC

It was always as much a dream as a realistic expectation, but anyone hoping for a first look at the A350 at this year's Paris air show can officially forget it. During the 17-23 June jamboree at Le Bourget, Airbus's all-new big twin will still be locked down in Toulouse undergoing final preparations for a maiden flight around the end of the month.

Speaking to Flight International on the sidelines of an industry lunch in Washington DC, Airbus chief executive Fabrice Bregier said the aircraft's first sortie will be "around mid-year, just after Paris or a week later. It's difficult to say".

That timetable matches long-running promises of a flight in mid-2013. Bregier said: "There are many, many tests to pass. So far the progress is good. We are on track."

Bregier also underscored his confidence in the February decision to ditch the lithium-ion batteries in the type in favour of nickel-cadmium, as a response to two li-ion battery incidents in January that led the US Federal Aviation Administration to ground Boeing 787s. "I'm sure we are 100% on the safe side," said Bregier.

He reiterated Airbus's *****sment that the li-ion battery design of the A350 is "secure" and that this high-capacity, lightweight battery type could be used on the type in a few years, but added: "It's never good to have a fire on an aircraft and say you can contain it."

Meanwhile, Japanese investigators have conducted their first tests on the All Nippon Airways 787 that was forced to make an emergency landing at Takamatsu airport on 16 January after pilots observed an error message related to battery malfunction. The aircraft has been grounded at the airport since the incident. The tests collected data on voltage and current flows.

That incident led the FAA to ground the type, coming just days after a Japan Airlines 787 suffered "severe fire damage" on the ground at Boston Logan airport when a li-ion battery for the auxiliary power unit exploded, burning for 40min before firefighters could extinguish the blaze.

Boeing's proposed solution involves battery and charger improvements and a fire containment system. A number of test flights have been completed as part of a campaign to certificate the modifications.

furryforest 05-13-2013 01:17 PM

First A350 out of the paint shop

Airbus A350 Rolls Out of Paint Shop to Ready Test Flights - Bloomberg

Looks like a 767 and 330 got jiggy with it and this is their love child!

bmibaby737 05-13-2013 01:23 PM

Re: First A350 out of the paint shop

I quite like the look of it, I suppose its sleek but aircraft are loosing there traditional wing shape, but I suppose there just evolving.

Not fussed on that nose gear though.

LeoMuse747 05-13-2013 02:29 PM

Looks good, but the 787 still looks better to me, and the B787-9 will look even better!

EDIT:

It looks good, but not 100% good:

tail looks weird... to small
nose section and nose gear are also strange.

Anyway, 787 still wins :D

EDIT #2:

OK, doesn't look that good.

Air Canada A330-300 05-13-2013 02:34 PM

Well, that is one good looking bird. Maybe not quite as much as the 787, but definately sleeker than their current A330s.

virginaustralia787 05-13-2013 06:14 PM

Cant wait to see one in person, but the 787 is still my favourite. The cockpit shape and wing design look amazing

MD11Freighter 05-13-2013 08:09 PM

Looks good! Very sleek looking

JoseLao 05-13-2013 09:13 PM

Whats the first airline to take delivery of this.

virginaustralia787 05-13-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoseLao (Post 529968)
Whats the first airline to take delivery of this.

Qatar Airways. apparently it has been already built nut nobody has seen it yet