Paint or decals? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Aviation Terminal > 1:1 Civil Aviation

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
First Officer

B747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobby
Paint or decals?

There are more and more special liveries around. I wonder if the airlines paint the aircraft for the time they are to sport new special schemes or they use decals? Possible explanation could be that they use paint if the whole aircraft wears new livery and decals when only some inscriptions and symbols are added like in the examples below:

paint:
Photos: Boeing 747-438/ER Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

decals:
Photos: Boeing 747-4B3 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

Can anyone confirm my thoughts?
B747-enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 AM   #2
Just give me wings!

ALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobby
Re: Paint or decals?

KLM has done a WHOLE airctaft with decals.
I just dont think that decal is too safe. You never know when one little corner may come off and then during flight you havethat massive sheet come off and come jamming onto an engine, stabilizer what have you causeing an accident.
I prefer paint
ALEXAKOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:01 AM   #3
RJ First Officer

modelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dog

I prefer decals. I can never throw any of my 1/400 conversions fast enough for them to come off.
modelmanGB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
Just give me wings!

ALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelmanGB View Post
I prefer decals. I can never throw any of my 1/400 conversions fast enough for them to come off.
You never know! Practice makes perfect!

The thread starter was mentioning the 1:1 airplanes not the diecasts
Old 08-17-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
First Officer

B747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
I just dont think that decal is too safe. You never know when one little corner may come off and then during flight you havethat massive sheet come off and come jamming onto an engine, stabilizer what have you causeing an accident.
I prefer paint
You are right. I did not think about safety.
B747-enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
RJ First Officer

modelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dogmodelmanGB is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
You never know! Practice makes perfect!

The thread starter was mentioning the 1:1 airplanes not the diecasts
I guess that on a 1/1 scale you would need a lot of bottles of clear gloss coat to seal the edges.
Decals on the real stuff does seem risky to me but no doubt they use some wonder adhesive to make sure they stay in place.
modelmanGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Just give me wings!

I am sure they use the best adhesive vinyl there is (cause the plane's stretches and retracts with temperature and altitude differences) yet still it seems to me like a stupid idea! Better safe than sorry!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Förum King

MYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobbyMYT DC-10 is a legend of the hobby

I doubt they decked the aircraft without considering any of the problems that have been said.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Just give me wings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYT DC-10 View Post
I doubt they decked the aircraft without considering any of the problems that have been said.
yup! and how many other things they thought they had decked

Tags
decals, paint, special liveries

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: