Wahoo in retrograde - Page 31 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Aviation Terminal > 1:1 Civil Aviation

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #451
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog
Re: Wahoo in retrograde

Ha! That first pic is a cracker! Perhaps it was # 737 in their fleet???

The DC-9 looks like it has ploughed through a flock of seagulls from the amount of paint missing adjacent the radome.

And I think it's wonderful that you can remember just about every single flight you've ever been on!!

flyingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 08:20 PM   #452
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdoc View Post
Ha! That first pic is a cracker! Perhaps it was # 737 in their fleet???

The DC-9 looks like it has ploughed through a flock of seagulls from the amount of paint missing adjacent the radome.

And I think it's wonderful that you can remember just about every single flight you've ever been on!!
That could be #737.

That is a pretty DC-9.

I have a memory like a trap Gerard! Except for peoples names!!

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Captain Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #453
Air Wisconsin

a_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wahoo View Post
I have a memory like a trap Gerard!
Let me guess; rusty and illegal in 37 states?
a_loser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2007, 03:33 AM   #454
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

I know the guys on the other side of the pond like these retro moments too... so here are a couple from the Luthansa files that I especially like, 'coz they've got classic planes and classic V-dubs!!

I remember my dad bringing home a "new" car back in about '69 - a VW Beetle. I thought it was sooo cool. No engine under the bonnet and those funny little indicator flaps that came out from the pillar behind the front doors. And what an unforgettable engine noise!! As uniquely characteristic as the roar of a B707...

Enjoy!

Vickers Viscount

Convair Metropolitan

Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #455
Operations Director

Captain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dogCaptain Wahoo is a top dog

Although this picture was taken at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport in 1966, it shows 3 beautiful retro international airlines.

By the way Doc, I can make the sound of a VW bug, you will need to stand back though because I spit a lot while I am doing it!

If you love something let it go, if it doesn't come back, track it down and kill it.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #456
Air Wisconsin

a_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top doga_loser is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wahoo View Post
you will need to stand back though because I spit a lot while I am doing it!
As I recall, you spit a lot whilst not doing it, too...
a_loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #457
Operations Director

Wow, Republic Airlines! Not the best looking picture. This was taken at Detroit Metro in March 1982.

This is one taken in March 1980 in Baltimore (BWI). Notice these two are listed in our database.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:29 PM   #458
Operations Director

To continue with the Republic theme, here is an airplane there are plenty of us would love to see. Here are 2 different variations of the Republic livery. This particular picture was taken at ATL in July 1980.

This next one was taken in Packerland. This should make Kevin jump around all gleefull. It was taken in August 1983.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #459
Operations Director

Ok, so no one is a big fan of Republic and Aer Lingus. I will dig for other stuff. Stand by...

Old 11-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #460
Operations Director

Originally founded in 1937 as All American Airlines, Allegheny officially became Allegheny Airlines in 1953. Lake Central Airlines merged with Allegheny in 1968. Later in 1972 Mohawk Airlines also got bought out by Allegheny. By late 1973 Allegheny Airlines became the 6th largest US airline. In 1974 Allegheny Airlines decided to change its paint scheme to the 3 red color scheme. I personally liked the "speed wedge" and blue cheatline. I was never a fan of the bright red, dark red and maroon.

In 1978 the last Convair 580 (See post 442 for picture) was phased out. Good bye to a beautiful plane. In 1979, Allegheny Airlines would become...US Air.

The Fairchild F-27 at Pittsburgh in April 1967 in service between 1965 and 1974.

The DC-9-32 series at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport on 10-16-1971. Flew from 1966-1979.

The Boeing 727-2B7 at Pittsburgh in June of 1970. Only 2 of these flew from 1970 to 1971.

As part of Allegheny Commuter was the Beechcraft Beech 99 shown here at Washington National (Now Reagan) Airport in August 1969.

Last edited by Captain Wahoo; 11-02-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 PM   #461
Operations Director

You guys will get an eyefull of Fed Ex!

Federal Express Corporation started in 1971 in Little Rock, AR. Later moved operations to Memphis, TN in 1973. The first night of operations saw 14 Dassault Falcons taking to the skies delivering packages all over.

Little known was the Cessna 310 that they flew for executive transport.

In 1977 Fed Ex purchased 7 Boeing 727 aircraft after congress passed a law that enabled Fed Ex and other cargo carriers to operate large aircraft with no restrictions on geographical routes.

This B727-22C was at San Francisco International in July 1978.

Here is the short lived B737-2S2C taken in San Jose, CA. September, 1980.

The next 2 pictures are of the recently purchased Flying Tigers aircraft in 1989. Fed Ex purchased Flying Tigers to expand its international presence.

Here's a picture of the newly painted B747 taken in Frankfort, Germany, September 18, 1989.

The DC-10's have been operating since the 1980's. They have stood the test of time as many are still in operation.

Last edited by Captain Wahoo; 11-05-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #462
Operations Director

Brian, I gotta tell you I am loving these posts. Alleghny is not an airline I remember but it has an understated classic coolness about its livery - sorta like an old Vespa. And I also enjoyed the rundown on Federal Express. It's interesting how hugely successful they have become from fairly modest beginnings. I always love the look of a bare-metal aeroplane - some things just look better naked ('nuff said).

And the retro Aer Lingus pics were not lost on me either. What a fantastic line-up of tails!! Here is one you might like - not quite so old but Paul should recognise this - it was taken at Manchester airport. A couple of Aer Lingus birds flanking a Tu-134? of Aviogenex - the Serbian airline that flew out of the former Yugoslavia.

Last edited by flyingdoc; 11-07-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #463

Richie154 is flying under the radar

Wahoo, that Aer Lingus 720 is gorgeous! Someone's gotta make that.
Richie154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #464
Operations Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie154 View Post
Wahoo, that Aer Lingus 720 is gorgeous! Someone's gotta make that.
That is pretty sweet. Nice to see you Richie!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #465
Operations Director

Sounds to me like Gerard wants to see more Aer Lingus.

“This is not just an airline, this is Aer Lingus”. This was the slogan of Aer Lingus for years. Aer Lingus started operations on May 27, 1936 flying only one De Havilland Dragon from Dublin. I cannot find any pictures of the original. People often wonder where such an unusual name comes from, when translated from Irish, Aer Lingus means Air Fleet.

This picture of the DC-3 "Gooneybird" (See Doc, you're not the only one with a funny moniker!) was taken on July 3rd, 1956 in Newcastle, England.

Here is Flyingdoc's favorite airplane. Or at least one of them. This ATL-98 was taken at London Gatwick in 1960.

In 1947 the carrier’s growth soared to such heights that it was time for new routes. This decision would change Aer Lingus forever. Aerlinte Eireann had a fleet of 5 Lockheed Constellations to operate transatlantic routes - this is key in the airline’s business today. Over the years the two companies grew close and in 1960 they merged under the new moniker of “Aer Lingus - Irish National Airlines”.

What a cool picture of this F-27 from summer 1962 in Blackpool-Squires Gate, England. Ah the simpler times, no security worries. I remember those days.

In 1965 Aer Lingus started service with the BAC-111 aircraft. They flew for over 26 years as the workhorse for the famed airline.

In 1969 they started Boeing 737 service.

Here is the Vickers Viscount in Dublin, Ireland in 1969. Can you say classic?

The first Boeing 747 was delivered to Aer Lingus on April 5th, 1971 with service from Dublin to New York's John F. Kennedy International. This picture is a wonderfully 'classic' one with the Trans World Airlines Boeing 747 in the background with my favorite "Twin globes" livery.

Here is the green monster in the land of the green monster. Boston, Massachusetts. This was taken in July 29, 1988.

How could I have had a classic airline/aeroplane post without a 707? This was taken in May of 1981 at Paris Charles de Gaulle International Airport. This is the Boeing 707-348C.

I am glad to hear you guys still enjoy my retro ramblings. I thought I may have been doing this in vain as I might have been boring you.

Last edited by Captain Wahoo; 11-07-2007 at 08:13 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: