DAT set to retire the MD-80 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Aviation Terminal > 1:1 Civil Aviation

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-03-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby
DAT set to retire the MD-80

Yes, it does unfortunately seem as if though the time has come for Danish Air Transport to retire their MD-80's, and due to this they are going to operate a farewell flight on October 16th. I found out about this on September 24th, but the thought only just now struck me to check if anyone had mentioned it here. I managed to get myself a seat on the flight, but I have no idea if there are any still available.

https://www.facebook.com/30547690965...0427980156416/

It'll be a shame to see them go, but I guess times do change.
Flight fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: DAT set to retire the MD-80

What a sad news my friend.
The last MD-80 operator in Europe will be European Air Charter (ex Bulgarian Air Charter).

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #3
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Wish I could be there for the final flight, but unfortunately cannot make it. Great to see DAT paying tribute to the iconic MD-80 series with a commemorative final flight, something many airlines didn't do for their iconic aircraft (looking at KLMs 747..)

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2021, 09:05 AM   #4
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

So... October 16th has come and gone, and so has the Farewell Flight. My first time on an MD-80, and what a flight it was. Almost fully booked, roughly 150 passengers, and everyone got their own goodiebag. There was a lottery with winnings including a ride in the jumpseat during landing, as well as actual aircraft parts. An auction was held for the first row seats, emergency exit seats, and window seats closest to the engines, with the money going straight to the Red Cross. After take-off we did a little bit of skywriting, see the attached screenshot, as well as low passes of both Roskilde and Kastrup airports. Once we landed we were greeted with a water canon salute. And to round it all up, we got to leave through the rear stairs, which was not the original plan. (Airport staff, btw, were not happy with all the passengers stopping and taking pictures instead of going in to the terminal, but what did they expect would happen?)

All in all, it was a fantastic, albeit bittersweet, experience.
Attached Thumbnails
DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211016_123140.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211016_123230.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211016_134310.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211016_134549.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211016_144314.jpg  

DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211016_155150.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211016_155338.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-screenshot_20211017_133758_com.flightradar24free.jpg  
Old 10-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #5
Big Brother is watching

Anglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobby

Flew on that one a few years ago Heathrow-Stockholm. Came back on the ex Meridiana one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ers6gzx7z0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQldpYB_5_E&t=16s

Anglojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #6
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight fan View Post
So... October 16th has come and gone, and so has the Farewell Flight. My first time on an MD-80, and what a flight it was. Almost fully booked, roughly 150 passengers, and everyone got their own goodiebag. There was a lottery with winnings including a ride in the jumpseat during landing, as well as actual aircraft parts. An auction was held for the first row seats, emergency exit seats, and window seats closest to the engines, with the money going straight to the Red Cross. After take-off we did a little bit of skywriting, see the attached screenshot, as well as low passes of both Roskilde and Kastrup airports. Once we landed we were greeted with a water canon salute. And to round it all up, we got to leave through the rear stairs, which was not the original plan. (Airport staff, btw, were not happy with all the passengers stopping and taking pictures instead of going in to the terminal, but what did they expect would happen?)

All in all, it was a fantastic, albeit bittersweet, experience.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful and unforgettable experience.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #7
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Great report Oskar! I wish I could've been there, but unfortunately I had other responsibilities this weekend. What did they hand out in the giftbsags?

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
Old 10-18-2021, 09:49 AM   #8
Red Eagles!

October 16-17 was actually a work weekend for me, but I did manage to shuffle some days around, fortunately. Otherwise I would've missed it too.

Was surprised to learn, however, that OY-RUE will fly a few more charter flights down in Egypt before her final withdrawal, after which she's going to Iran to be used for spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
What did they hand out in the giftbsags?
A commemorative T-shirt, a safety onboard card, a baggage tag, a balloon, and keychain and lanyard. There was also a little gift, not originally included in the bag, in the form of a phone holder you can attach to the tray table lock.

I'll see if I remember to take a photo when I get home from work.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #9
Red Eagles!

I may have forgotten yesterday, but here we go with the goodiebag. Yes, the first pic is the T-shirt print. Not gonna lie, I was expecting something a bit more colourful than a dark gray shirt with white text, but it's still a nice souvenir. I also found it interesting that the safety cards we got were different to the ones onboard. Hm...
Attached Thumbnails
DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211019_201756.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211019_203052.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211019_203102.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211019_203559.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211019_203613.jpg  

DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211019_203658.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211019_203627.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211019_203642.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211019_203708.jpg   DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211019_203723.jpg  

DAT set to retire the MD-80-img_20211019_203736.jpg  
Old 10-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #10
Admin

Interesting, thanks for sharing Oskar! I agree with you that the T-shirt is slightly underhwelming, though the other goodies seem nice. Shame they couldn't really have some more airline merch.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: