MalÚv 240 documentaries? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Aviation Terminal > 1:1 Civil Aviation

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-18-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby
MalÚv 240 documentaries?

About 6 months ago I first discovered and started reading up about the MalÚv 240 disaster, a Tu-154(HA-LCI) that crashed under mysterious circumstances outside of Beirut in 1975. Most of the information that I've been able to find has however been in Hungarian, for obvious reasons, which has posed some problems as I don't speak that language. And Google Translate, well...

But from what I've been able to gather, there were a lot of strange things going on. Feel free to skip to the bottom of the post if you don't want to read the whole thing.

For one thing it's been claimed that it was impossible to book tickets on the flight several days in advance, despite the flight being less than half full when it took off. Why? Well, some people claim it was because of an unusually large volume of cargo onboard, some even claiming bombs and other weapons were being smuggled onboard. Some claim that it was because a large Palestinian delegation had something to do with it. There's a lot of speculation going on.

Secondly, the flight was apparently not parked at a gate as it usually was, but rather at a remote stand, either by a maintenance hangar or on the cargo apron. Sources differ on that.

Thirdly, there are reports of at least one blackout or power failure during the time the flight was loading. Why? A lot of theories exist, some pointing to this mysterious extra cargo being loaded or the alleged Palestinian delegation boarding while the lights were out.

After that the flight seems to have gone on as normal up until it hit the water. How and why it hit the water is another hot topic. The official story says it was a Controlled Flight Into Terrain. Some eyewitnesses have however claimed to see or hear an explosion. Some claim it was a bomb, others a missile(or two according to an RAF crew). Some claim the Lebanese were behind it, others point to the Palestinians, others the Israelis, and some to the Americans.

Did a rescue operation take place? Was anything salvaged? Well, not officially, as it was a warzone at the time. However, there is photographic evidence showing some parts of the wreckage and at least one body being recovered, though some claim as many as fifteen bodies were recovered.

The final report, after a less than two week long investigation, has so far not been made public, and remains top secret supposedly for reasons not actually connected to the disaster.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one asking myself "what the f*** is going on here...?"

Ever since I first started reading about this I have been looking for a documentary or two with English subtitles or narration, but I have found none. Does anyone here possibly know of any?
(Interesting side note, there was actually a movie made on the subject, titled HA-LCI, but this has not been released to the public due to pressure from the Hungarian government. Something smells fishy.)
CEO of Moscow Dedovsk International Airport

Last edited by Flight fan; 01-18-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Flight fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
Senior Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby
Re: MalÚv 240 documentaries?

Sounds somehow familiar....MH17 wasn't the first (and will not be the last) victim to any hot or cold war tensions. Thinking of Itavia, Iran Air etc.
I think icecold and fishy people call the victims then "collateral damage".

If you have an article in hungarian, just pass it and I can try to translate it with my mom, she is hungarian.

I personally think that a missile is most likely the case, since the british radar and plane saw two missiles. If on purpose or not, hard to define since we dont know if there were any possible hide and seek games between involved fighter jets there and the MalÚv just accidentally passed this way.
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #3
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

I do agree there are some similarities with Itavia 870 in that there are conflicting reports, supposed military involvement, and a supposed cover-up. However, bodies and wreckage was officially recovered, unlike the MalÚv flight where the Hungarian government denied any such operations right up until 2008. Even after that they seem to have been vague about what exactly was picked up.

Both Iran Air 655 and Malaysian 17 were pretty quickly determined to have been shot down, even though the reasons for that happening are somewhat questionable, and it was made public. Wreckage and bodies were recovered in both cases. Flight 655 was shot down by the US Navy, who thought they were targeting an F-14. Flight 17 was shot down, allegedly, by Ukrainian separatists, but was that ever actually proven or does that remain speculation?
In the case of MalÚv 240, yes, an RAF crew did say they saw missiles, which I suppose is the most likely theory. But who would have fired them? And why? As you say, there may have been some hide-and-seek going on, which is a theory I've heard about the Itavia disaster as well. But wouldn't the radar operator have seen that? After flight 240 went down, I mean.

I fear the only way we will get any clear answer to what happened is if the final report is released, which I don't think will happen any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
If you have an article in hungarian, just pass it and I can try to translate it with my mom, she is hungarian.
I have read a total of four articles, three in Hungarian and one in German, with the help of Google Translate, but those results aren't always the best.

https://nepszava.hu/3048216_jarat-a-...gediaja-mogott

https://konteo.blogrepublik.eu/2011/...at-tragediaja/

https://web.archive.org/web/20110721...rofa_anno_1975

https://www.austrianwings.info/2018/...von-malev-240/

What I was mainly looking for at this time was a documentary, with English narration or subtitles, if there are any. I've found a few videos on the subject, but none of them have any subtitles at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLPz8tDQ6Qs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5oS6p86kiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FAuDyGvzeU
CEO of Moscow Dedovsk International Airport
Flight fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2021, 05:20 AM   #4
Captain

Eurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dogEurojet is a top dog

I only read the German article (as I don't speak Hungarian).
Great article, thanks for sharing !
Eurojet is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: