Tribute to the blue Queen of the skies - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Aviation Terminal > 1:1 Civil Aviation

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
Rush

wingtippy is a legend of the hobbywingtippy is a legend of the hobbywingtippy is a legend of the hobbywingtippy is a legend of the hobbywingtippy is a legend of the hobbywingtippy is a legend of the hobbywingtippy is a legend of the hobbywingtippy is a legend of the hobbywingtippy is a legend of the hobbywingtippy is a legend of the hobbywingtippy is a legend of the hobby
Tribute to the blue Queen of the skies

Hi all,

As if 2020 couldn't get any worse, tonight (minutes ago when writing this) marked the last landing of a KLM B747 in regular service. Although passenger service stopped already in March of this year, KLM kept 3 Combi's in service during the last few months as an air bridge between China and The Netherlands to carry Covid-19 related cargo in the belly and on the seats in the cabin. Today this air bridge came to a stop and the blue Queen landed for the last time at Schiphol.

I wanted to start a thread to pay tribute to the Queen, with photo's, video's and story's that everyone has. Feel free to share yours and together I hope we can pay a great tribute to the wonderful blue Queen of the Skies!

I had the pleasure to photograph her many times, and the last time on the 20th of September 2020. Below are a few of my best shots of the queen in chronological order.

KLM B744 PH-BFH by Maarten Dols, on Flickr

KLM B744 PH-BFN by Maarten Dols, on Flickr

KLM B744 PH-BFV by Maarten Dols, on Flickr

KLM B744 PH-BFL by Maarten Dols, on Flickr

KLM B744 PH-BFW by Maarten Dols, on Flickr

KLM B744 PH-BFW by Maarten Dols, on Flickr

I also had the pleasure to fly her 2 times on the LAX-AMS route. First time the honour was to PH-BFI and the second time the PH-BFV. She flew great, I had some great views and even a tour inside the plane. Below are some shots of those great flights.

Feel free to add pictures, share stories or just comment with your memory of the blue Queen!

Kind regards,

Maarten
Attached Thumbnails
Tribute to the blue Queen of the skies-20190214_033052_1.jpg   Tribute to the blue Queen of the skies-20200112_143116.jpg  
wingtippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
Collector

PT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobbyPT-TAA is a legend of the hobby
Re: Tribute to the blue Queen of the skies

Great tribute! I only flew on KLM 747-400 once in 1993, AMS - GRU, was a great flight. Unfortunally I haven't pics of the real ones, I've been in AMS for the first time on September 7 last year and during my time at Polderbaan I saw not a single one!!!

Always keep improving! 'The excellency of today will be future's mediocrity.'
PT-TAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:27 AM   #3
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Fond memories of the 747s!

BFN landing on runway 06 after waking up at 3:30.. Remember, Maarten?

BFY was my favourite, flown her twice

Some have been gone longer than others.. Gone since 2018 is PH-BFF, my BFF

PH-BFI 'Jakarta' was always reliable, flown her twice too! After BFV got damaged in an incident during pushback, it was Jakarta that came to the rescue us in LAX 6.5 hours late.

PH-BFH exited the fleet on March 9th, just before everything went to ****. Seen here in sunny Las Vegas operating a CES 2020 flight.

In March 2020 the remaining 7x 747-400 (BFL, BFN, BFS, BFT, BFV, BFW and BFY) were retired, before 3 were being reactivated to carry freight.

Here's PH-BFW, BFT and BFV landing runway 06 in May 2020

PH-BFS departing for MHV after being retired in May 2020

My last 747-400 photo is of PH-BFT departing 36L

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #4
Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Beautiful pictures, though I prefer the older KLM livery with the dark blue cheatline.
I can't come up with KLM flights of the Jumbo, avoided KLM for long haul traffic so far.
But if I can find them, I can share my LH/BA Jumbo's
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #5
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Great tribute and beautiful photos, even those realized by Thom.
Sad days, very sad days: civil aviation world is really devastated by Covid!
Thanks for the tribute and thanks for sharing, without doubts KLM B747-400 has been one of the most beautiful ever.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: