The end of the glorious Meridiana (Air Italy liquidation). - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Aviation Terminal > 1:1 Civil Aviation

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
The end of the glorious Meridiana (Air Italy liquidation).

Hi.

As Italian and because it regards a glorious airline, Meridiana, then finished in the dust, i think that Air Italy liquidation deserves its own thread.
Has already said by a member in the Civil Aviation News thread, today Air Italy has been liquidated and this sign the end for Meridiana.
Yet another bad news for Italy, civil aviation world and employees.
This is the summary for who doesn't know the airline and its previous situation:
Air Italy, ex Meridiana (once Alisarda, then Meridiana, then a triple merge Meridiana + Air Italy + Eurofly = Meridianafly = Meridiana)...has been liquidated.
The airplanes have been grounded as technical stop, the shareholders have declared bankruptcy.
The story of Air Italy is strange:
1) Meridiana (ex Alisarda) has been the "airline of Sardinia island for many years, owner Aga Khan, with an important role in the "territorial continuity" that is the link among the "continent" (Rome and Milan) and Sardinia island (one of the two main Italian islands), especially the north-east of Sardinia. An important operator of MD-80's.
2) Meridiana bought Air Italy (the first Air Italy). New airplanes in the fleet, B737-700WL, B737-800WL, B767-300 and B767-200.
3) Meridiana bought Eurofly. This new airline was flying the A320 and A330-200 Eurofly + B737-700WL, B737-800WL, MD-80, B767-300 and B767-200 Meridiana.
At this point Meridiana was an airline with three heads: Meridiana - Air Italy- Eurofly.
Many problems, three different feelings, three "bodies", three different ways to see the way to develop the airlines.
4) Qatar Airways bought 49% of Meridiana, new livery, B737 MAX, new name: Air Italy. Fleet: A330-200 ex Qatar Airways, B737-800WL and B737 MAX8 (grounded because of Boeing disaster).
5) Today, Air Italy liquidated by the three shareholders, Aga Khan, Qatar Airways and Air Italy.
Flight will continue until February 25th with airplanes of other airlines, this to protect the passengers already booked a ticket.
1.200 employees without a future.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
About the financial situation it seems 128 million euro lost in 2018, reaching 300 million lost in 2019.
Money needed for the relaunch of the airline about 300 million euro but Alisarda (Aga Khan) wasn't agree to spend more money for this airline while Qatar Airways can't because it should buy more shares, exceeding 49%, arriving at the majority of the airline and, in this way, losing the right to fly in the European skies.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.

Last edited by Charter; 02-11-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby
Re: The end of the glorious Meridiana (Air Italy liquidation).

Sorry for the employees. Surprised the government didn't intervene and put the airline on life support (a la Alitalia)
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Pity for Meridiana. I liked them a lot.
Air Italy doesnt have my affection at all...
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #5
The Dark Side

What makes me extremely angry and sad is that Alitalia is flying thanks to the money of us taxpayers wasted since 30 years, while airlines like Meridiana, Air Italy and other private ones declare banckruptcy for their problems.
It is incredible, it is shameful.

Charter airlines lover

Old 02-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
The Dark Side

A short visual summary of the glorious Meridiana.

Alisarda

Meridiana

Air Italy (first)

Eurofly

Meridianafly

Air Italy

Charter airlines lover

Old 02-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #7
The Dark Side

Some airlines are covering Air Italy routes reprotecting the passengers:

Lumiwing (Greece) B737-300
AlbaStar (Spain) B737-800WL
Wamos Air (Spain) B747-400 and A330-200
Bulgaria Air (Bulgaria) E190
TayranJet (Bulgaria) B737-300
Neos (Italy) B737-800WL, B787-9

easyjet announced discounted tickets, 39,99 euro, to all passengers who booked a ticked with Air Italy among Milan MXP and Napoli, Catania, Palermo, Lamezia Terme, Cagliari and Tenerife.
Ryanair is preparing discounted tickets for all the passengers who booked Air Italy flights too, and O'Leary seems ready to make and announcement (maybe an offer to buy the demised airline): tomorrow O'Brien will say more in Milan.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 02-13-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:47 AM   #8
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

Very sad indeed. Meridiana/Old Air Italy were small and sightly outdated but they were successful. Qatar tried to turn that small airline into a major luxury airline and grew way too fast, leading to their death.

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #9
The Dark Side

David O'Brien (Ryanair Chief Commercial Officer) press conference at Milan: "Ryanair is not interested in buying Air Italy, Air Italy has not interesting slots for Ryanair. We want to open a second base in Sardinia, Olbia is a nice opportunity".

Charter airlines lover

Old 02-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
The Dark Side

It seems (all rumors) that there will not be layoffs for now. 1.450 employees are waiting news for their future and the three shareholders (Alisarda, Qatar Airways, Air Italy) have 75 days of time for finding a way to sell the brand and the fleet to someone interested. This is part of the "liquidation situation" of Air Italy.

Charter airlines lover

Old 02-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
The Dark Side

A news of few hours ago:
- the Sardinia Regional Council asks to block the liquidation of Air Italy, while Italian Government will guarantee the territorial continuity among "Italy" and "Sardinia island" and, because of this, Air Italy re-opened the bookings among Olbia, Milan and Rome until April 16th.
Italian Government is in talk with Qatar Airways trying to find a solution for Air Italy, especially how to recapitalize the airline.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 02-19-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: