British Airways wins record of fastest subsonic flight. - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Aviation Terminal > 1:1 Civil Aviation

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
British Airways wins record of fastest subsonic flight.

Hi.
A British Airways B747-400 has broken the record of the fastest subsonic flight, covering New York - London route in 4 hours 56 minutes, reaching the speed of 1.327 km/h!
The "Queen" was advantaged by the unusual jet streams over the Atlantic Ocean, caused by Storm Ciara.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6S9DDkKcneM3nE

The British Airways B747-400 has beat a previous Norwegian flight lasted 5 hours 13 minutes.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!

Last edited by Charter; 02-10-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
Second Officer

N3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobbyN3424V is a legend of the hobby
Re: British Airways wins record of fastest subsonic flight.

Now that Queen was one Speedy-bird!

::GROAN::

24V
N3424V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

Given that the speed of sound is 1236 km/h, that flight was supersonic, not subsonic

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Groundspeed of 1.327 km/h isn't the same as an airspeed of 1.327 km/h (which would be breaking the sound barrier). I wouldn't recommend taking a 747 for a supersonic trip.
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingslover View Post
Given that the speed of sound is 1236 km/h, that flight was supersonic, not subsonic
Alberic the airspeed remained around Mach 0.85 = 1050 km/h.
The 1.327 km/h are referred to groundspeed.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #6
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Groundspeed of 1.327 km/h isn't the same as an airspeed of 1.327 km/h (which would be breaking the sound barrier). I wouldn't recommend taking a 747 for a supersonic trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Alberic the airspeed remained around Mach 0.85 = 1050 km/h.
The 1.327 km/h are referred to groundspeed.
You’re right I was a bit too enthusiastic

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #7
Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Though there have been civil planes Breaking the Sound barrier as well if I recall well, apart from Concorde and TU144. I think there were one instance with a Convair 990 and one DC8.
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
The Dark Side

Previous record was of a Norwegian B787-9 (284 people on board), 5 hours 13 minutes, reaching the speed of 776 mph during the flight.

Charter airlines lover

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: