World airports news. - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Aviation Terminal > 1:1 Civil Aviation

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
Captain

bskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobby
Robin Hood Doncaster/Sheffield News Thread

Evening all - this news was already posted in Thomsonfly737's superb Doncaster Sheffield spotting thread, but I felt also a news thread was in order to separate spotting and airport news. I hope this thread will go on to chart the rise of Britain's fastest growing airport outside London!

DSA is located at the former Royal Air Force base of Finningley, which saw active service between 1915 and 1996 and hosted annually some of the biggest airshows in Europe. Air France Concordes were regular visitors for many years! In 2005 the airfield was reopened as Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield Airport. By 2007, the airport had achieved over 1 million pax per year but was severely affected by the 2008 financial crisis. However, 2016 sees the opening of the FARRS link road connecting the airport directly to the M18 and M1 motorways.

As of 1.11.15, the current route network is thus:

Aer Lingus (opb Stobart Air) - Dublin
BH Air - Burgas (Seasonal)
Flybe - Jersey (Seasonal)
Small Planet Airlines - Verona (Seasonal)
Thomas Cook Airlines - Dalaman, Enfidha, Palma de Mallorca (Seasonal)
Thomson Airways - Alicante, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Malaga, Paphos, Sharm El Sheikh, Tenerife South
Antalya, Bourgas, Corfu, Dalaman, Enfidha, Faro, Heraklion, Ibiza, Kos, Larnaca, Mahon, Palma de Mallorca, Reus, Rhodes, Turin, Zakynthos (Seasonal)
Wizz Air - Bucharest, Cluj Napoca, Gdansk, Katowice, Kosice, Lublin, Poznan, Riga, Vilnius, Warsaw, Wroclaw

Last edited by bskc8th; 11-02-2015 at 02:53 PM.
bskc8th is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Captain

bskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobby
Re: Robin Hood Doncaster/Sheffield News Thread

***Flybe Route Announcement***

Exciting news for Doncaster Airport today with Flybe announcing 2 based ERJ170 aircraft beginning in March 2016 and several new destinations:

Aberdeen
Alicante
Amsterdam
Berlin TXL
Dusseldorf
Malaga
Paris CDG

The Jersey route - currently seasonal - is seemingly going year-round. This news will increase the passenger numbers of the airport by up to 70% and propel them toward 1.3 million pax per year by 2016/2017. 44 Flybe flights per week will be utilising DSA, suggesting some routes will be more than once daily.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:51 AM   #3
Captain

Correction to earlier post - the based aircraft will in fact be Embraer 195LR aircraft, of which 2 in the 9-strong fleet are currently unallocated. These frames seat 118 pax in an all-economy layout.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:02 AM   #4
Easyjet

Easyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributor

I know that one of the stored E195s will be based at Norwich from March for new routes.
Easyjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:07 AM   #5
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyjet View Post
I know that one of the stored E195s will be based at Norwich from March for new routes.
Seems that Flybe keep a couple of the 195's stored at any one time, presumably to keep them back for summer capacity increases. At any rate, I see 170's over here a lot more often than the 195's.

I wonder which one Norwich will get then? Because DSA are certainly due 2 based.

***Update***

Flybe are running 'Project Blackbird' - a plan to seek new homes for their 195 fleet. 1 is going to LGW, 2 to DSA and another to NWI. Seemingly leaves 4 needing to be homed, contrary to earlier reports there were only 2 unallocated a/c.

Last edited by bskc8th; 11-03-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
Easyjet

Easyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskc8th View Post

I wonder which one Norwich will get then? Because DSA are certainly due 2 based.
As I just said one E195 will be based at NWI from March.
Easyjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:18 AM   #7
Captain

At least 2 fog diversions from LBA to DSA last night, both Jet2.com flights:

LS218 Lanzarote - Leeds G-GDFP B737-800
LS272 Alicante - Leeds G-LSAH B757-200
Old 11-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #8
ATP Captain

ThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobby

I support this thread all the way. Thomsonfly737 is in fact my old account, so thank you for the recognition.

It's a major boost for us working at DSA with the Flybe operations. It's just a shame we don't have all that much over the Winter as im now on 0 Hours. Im sure to be called in now and then, for intermediate/deep cleans as well as for the heavies.

Rumours are Thomson will base a third 737-800 here too next summer. How they are going to handle all this traffic on just 8 stands is beyond me at this moment in time.

'He ain't heavy, he's my brother'
ThomsonAirways737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #9
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomsonAirways737 View Post
I support this thread all the way. Thomsonfly737 is in fact my old account, so thank you for the recognition.

It's a major boost for us working at DSA with the Flybe operations. It's just a shame we don't have all that much over the Winter as im now on 0 Hours. Im sure to be called in now and then, for intermediate/deep cleans as well as for the heavies.

Rumours are Thomson will base a third 737-800 here too next summer. How they are going to handle all this traffic on just 8 stands is beyond me at this moment in time.
You're welcome - us DSA folk have got to stick together! Where exactly do you work in the airport?

The latest Airport Masterplan (2011) suggested the expansion shown in the diagram below, but it certainly won't be ready for summer 2016 unless some serious shortcuts in building are made

Old 11-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #10
ATP Captain

ThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobby

Ahh yes I recall seeing those plans a while back. That's what many of us have thought. Unless they make many shortcuts its impossible to complete anything in 6 months of such a realistic area. The car park to the west (as you look at the master plan) is supposed to start very soon.

I did work with Swissport on baggage handling initially but was transferred over to cleaning (Flightcare/Swissport). Cleaning is actually a lot better during the summer season. Far more hours. Next Winter I should be contracted to some hours.

I'm not sure both E195s will op all 6 schedules per day? I suspect an E170 or Q400 will make an appearance on top at least.

'He ain't heavy, he's my brother'
ThomsonAirways737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #11
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

I like this thread even if i know few about this airport. It has an interesting charter and leisure traffic and i wonder Verona is the only Italian destination.

Charter airlines lover
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #12
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomsonAirways737 View Post
I did work with Swissport on baggage handling initially but was transferred over to cleaning (Flightcare/Swissport). Cleaning is actually a lot better during the summer season. Far more hours. Next Winter I should be contracted to some hours.

I'm not sure both E195s will op all 6 schedules per day? I suspect an E170 or Q400 will make an appearance on top at least.
Ah, great stuff. I was briefly in the ops office at DSA back in 2013, but it was only for a matter of weeks.

I should imagine Malaga and Alicante will warrant E195's, along with Amsterdam and Paris perhaps. Aberdeen could well be a Q400 with Berlin and Dusseldorf as E170's. That may well be wrong, as 2 based aircraft could do more sectors than just Malaga and Alicante depending on timings in one day. With 44 weekly flights, I'm beginning to wonder if Amsterdam may be scheduled 2x daily. A morning and evening flight would certainly suit business travellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
I like this thread even if i know few about this airport. It has an interesting charter and leisure traffic and i wonder Verona is the only Italian destination.
I'm glad you like it Charter I believe Pisa was originally on the Thomson route network between 2005/2007 but went out when the financial crisis hit. Ryanair also gave Genoa a try if I remember correctly.

Hopefully more Italian destinations will feature soon!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #13
Captain

The world's largest aircraft, the Antonov 225, is due in to DSA Wednesday 11th November provisionally 13:40 local time. The aircraft previously visited DSA in 2010 and again in 2014.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #14
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

I think that also Neos and Blue Panorama (Blu-express) could open flights to this airport: the zone is really beautiful and touristic and there are many Italian airport ready for a link with Robin Hood airport. The problem is that in Italy we seem to know just London, while England is full of wonderful places.

Charter airlines lover
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #15
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
I think that also Neos and Blue Panorama (Blu-express) could open flights to this airport: the zone is really beautiful and touristic and there are many Italian airport ready for a link with Robin Hood airport. The problem is that in Italy we seem to know just London, while England is full of wonderful places.
It would be nice Charter, it really would. I think the previous attempts at northern European routes have failed because there just isn't the interest from the local catchment population. Spanish and Turkish beach holidays are the 'thing' and they reap the most pax and profit for the airlines. Routes to cultural destinations like Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona and Pisa have all been tried and failed, so it will be interesting to see how Flybe do with some of their new routes.

A Blue Panorama or Neos 737 at DSA would be heaven though!

Yorkshire as a whole does a superb job promoting itself, but South Yorkshire doesn't get a lot of attention and fails to capitalise on the great history we have here. Aside from Robin Hood himself, the Pilgrim Fathers are from just outside Doncaster, and we have not one but two grand Victorian country homes both open to the public in brilliantly restored condition. Doncaster also has Britain's best market (won 3 years running), the St Leger Horse Racing Festival, and for those interested in aviation history the racecourse was also the scene of the first air pageant in the entire United Kingdom in 1909. RAF Bawtry (at Bawtry Hall just outside Doncaster) was No.1 Group Bomber Command command post during WWII, and also the command post for the 'Black Buck' Vulcan raids on Port Stanley in the Falklands during the 1982 conflict.

Last edited by bskc8th; 11-05-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: