The one nobody expected to bust so soon: Monarch Airlines in insolvency - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Aviation Terminal > 1:1 Civil Aviation

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-02-2017, 02:43 AM   #1
RJ First Officer

FlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast iconFlyingFan1 is a diecast icon
The one nobody expected to bust so soon: Monarch Airlines in insolvency

British leisure carrier Monarch Airlines has ceased operations following the failure to extend its ATOL license. Up to 110,000 passengers are stranded overseas and they are due to get home on Qatar Airways and Air Transat planes. All companies under Monarch Airlines, including its travel companies have gone into insolvency.

Last year Monarch was saved last minute following an injection of 165m pounds by its owner Greybull.

A beautiful airlines exists the sky over Europe.
FlyingFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2017, 03:21 AM   #2
Big Brother is watching

Anglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobby
Re: The one nobody expected to bust so soon: Monarch Airlines in insolvency

Things had looked dodgy for weeks. Management were even talking about resuming long haul which showed they didn't have a clue.

Anglojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:14 AM   #3
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I thought they were financially okay after the recent investment and sale & leaseback of the 737MAX fleet.. Shocking to see them go.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Really sad day...
I was following the discussion on Airliners.net about Monarch and their situation. People were all speculating about the airline's future and suddenly the bomb dropped!
The 737 MAX would look wonderful!
This livery was simply amazing, really beautiful.

G-SMAN MONARCH AIRLINES Airbus A330-243 (EGKK) 22/02/2014 by James Mepsted, no Flickr

Last edited by LeoMuse747; 10-02-2017 at 09:16 AM.
LeoMuse747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
Big Brother is watching

Anglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobbyAnglojet is a legend of the hobby

Ironically G-SMAN, now with Wamos, is operating repatriation flights.

Anglojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Captain

bskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobbybskc8th is a legend of the hobby

Real shame to see another long-lived carrier bite the dust, not to mention all those whose jobs will be lost. I saw a news report this morning that said although they carried 14% more pax last year than in 2015, their profits were slashed massively. Weak was the straw that broke the camel's back it seems.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #7
ATP Captain

mike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobby

Mixed feelings on this, saw it coming a long time ago and it wasn't all rosey behind the scenes. Gutted for the guys and gals who have now lost there jobs some real friendly characters. This is also going to have a affect on my work (monarch was a airline we handled) as well as other ground agencies.
Freight aircraft lover.
mike21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:59 AM   #8
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

This is even worse than Transaero bankruptcy. I never imagined Monarch could fail, it is one of the saddest days in the civil aviation history.
In Italy there is a saying: "I would replace 10.000 times this with that if i could"...well, i would replace 10.000 times the shameful Alitalia with the failed Sabena, Swissair, Excel/XL Airways, Futura, Eurocypria, Spanair, Transaero, Monarch!
There are shameful airlines as Alitalia continuing to fly for 15 years after a possible, physiological and due fail because of the 2,5 billion euro lost, because of the shameful inflight and ground service, because of 1.000 more causes, and continuing to fly thanks to hidden State aids, and there are great airlines as Monarch failed.
A real shame and i am really sad. Really sad.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:13 PM   #9
Earning My Wings

Anydawana is flying under the radar

My friends were also abroad when the Monarch Travel Group had suspended flights and holidays. They had to get repatriated to come back home. It all ended up being okay, and they came home safely, but I still think it's unreal how this airline went to bankruptcy. It was indeed one of the lowest and saddest moments in civil aviation history. I read an article on https://ndandp.co.uk/insolvency-clai...asance-claims/, which debated whether it was well deserved or not. I'm just thinking about all the jobs people lost(2,000 people!!!), and I'm getting shivers all over my spine.
Anydawana is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: