F4U Corsair - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > War Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby
F4U Corsair

I had read about a Fleet Air Arm F4U that crashed on approach to Ballykelly, Northern Ireland. The pilot was walking wounded. The last pictures of this bird I could find were in 2003. So hunting I went.....

Spotted from the sea wall at low tide

She appears split in two with this being the rear part of the cockpit section

View from the cockpit

Port wing

You can clearly make out the aircraft type from the killer end!

I'm assuming this was the gun ports?

[/URL]

Amazingly clean metal

Once last pic as I said goodbye. Quite an eerie but enjoyable experience

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby
Re: F4U Corsair

Lovely shots furry,it deserves to be in a museum and be preserved instead of left there and get forgotten about...

1939 - 2011
vince1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:22 AM   #3
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

It amazes me she was never recovered. Sad to see her like that. Cheers V

Old 03-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
Captain

FedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast icon

That's a great find Furry, and very eerie indeed. Pretty intact considering how long it's been there. I think that smaller section of wreckage is actually the rear fuselage with part of the horizontal stabilizer still attached. That HUD looking thing is probably the attachment point for the vertical stabilizer.

Jason
FedEx777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #5
Admin

Cheers! Yeah I'd be certain it is. in picture 4 I believe that is where the pilots seat back would be. There is quite a bit of the plane under the sand and mud
Old 03-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
Captain

FedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast iconFedEx777 is a diecast icon

I forgot how far back the cockpit on the corsair was! It would be nice to see this airframe recovered and used in some sort of display. I'm sure there's a lot under the mud that we can't see.

Jason
FedEx777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Masur

Qupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributor

Was that all that was there? was there more wreckage or was that lost somewhere? great photos!
Qupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #8
Admin

That's all I could see. I guess 70 years of the Atlantic ocean can be unforgiving

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: