Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > War Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Wings900 Team Member

furryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dog
Airfix models

I'm sure we all remember or still make Airfix models.

Recently i've been thinking off getting back into them, more of a way to help my mind unwind from work and concentrate on something else.

Do you of you guys still build them and anyone any experience of using model building as a healthy distraction?

cheers for advice and stories
Old 07-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Captain

Digital is an excellent contributorDigital is an excellent contributorDigital is an excellent contributorDigital is an excellent contributorDigital is an excellent contributorDigital is an excellent contributorDigital is an excellent contributorDigital is an excellent contributorDigital is an excellent contributorDigital is an excellent contributorDigital is an excellent contributor
Re: Airfix models

I used to be a huge airfix and plastic model fanatic for a while back when I still had time, I even made a few that landed in a museum. I eventualy ran out of time to build them as they can get very time consumeing, when you start getting into more complicated equipment and techniques.
Model building is a lot of fun, you can get the same rush out of it that you get with collecting diecast models, plus the feeling of self satisfaction that you put a lot of elbowgrease into something.
The problem is that it can become quite obsessive, especialy if your a perfectionist. I ended up dedicating way to much time with elaborate techniques. You can dwell on some small detail for a long long time.
These days I simply prefer to buy complete diecast models and tend to my collection.

Airfix is a pretty decent company. I think they specialize in 1:72nd and 1:48th scale models. Most of thier moulds date back to the 60s and 70s with some minor modifications. Older moulds arent quite as detailed as newer ones, of course, but they are still in circulation, but they are of decent quality all around.

I have several boxes full of unbuilt Airfix (among others) kits in storage, some new ones and some ancient kits from the 1960s and 1970s. Since I doubt ill ever get to these im willing to part with them. PM me if interested.
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
Förum King

MYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dog

There is a new 1:350 HMS Illustrious that Airfix has made, I was contenplating buying it as it isn't that far from 1:200. Best of all it comes with to-scale Harrier Gr.9's, Merlins H.1's and SeaKings

The last model i made was a 1:72 Mi-24 Hind in Czech Air Force tiger meet livery.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:02 AM   #4
ATP Captain

Antesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast icon

have some pics at my homepage Modeller
I'm on a little break from plastic modelling right now. But as there is a competition held by IPMS Sweden (gothenburg) this fall I will surely start again soon...

Airfix is releasing a Harrier FRS.2 in 1/72 finally so I am really tempted. I have built 11 Harriers already. But I like Hasegawa best.

//Antesyd

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” – - Albert Einstein

The latest arrivals:
*Herpa Norwegian, United, Qatar and China Southern B787, 1:500
*Herpa BA A380, 1:500
*Sky500 Cebu Pacific A330 1:500

Antesyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Puddle Jumper

mick_sterbs is flying under the radar

Have a look at this Plastic Scale Models The Official Airfix Website

The new Canberra PR9 is excellent
The 1/24, yes, 1/24 Mosquito is a thing of beauty but huge!

Most of the current range appear to be new mouldings, but like most manufacturers, there are some older editions of some of these kits still around especially e-bay.
mick_sterbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
Wings900 Team Member

furryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dogfurryforest is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital View Post
I have several boxes full of unbuilt Airfix (among others) kits in storage, some new ones and some ancient kits from the 1960s and 1970s. Since I doubt ill ever get to these im willing to part with them. PM me if interested.
Thanks big guy, but i suspect shipping would be a crippler. Thankfully the town i work in has a shop that has a great range of Airfix models

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_sterbs View Post
Have a look at this Plastic Scale Models The Official Airfix Website

The new Canberra PR9 is excellent
The 1/24, yes, 1/24 Mosquito is a thing of beauty but huge!

Most of the current range appear to be new mouldings, but like most manufacturers, there are some older editions of some of these kits still around especially e-bay.
Cheers for the info
Old 07-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Puddle Jumper

mick_sterbs is flying under the radar

Any local Air shows and they usually have a presence, models stand.
They were at RNAS Yeovilton last weekend, and the place was packed from 10 am until 5pm, mainly fathers and daughters making model Spitfires and totally uninterested in the flying displays!

They have a very nice 1/72 scale Lancaster with a Mohne Dam stand at the moment, but sadly the TSR2 kits in both scales are rarer than hens teeth.
mick_sterbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
Förum King

MYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dogMYT DC-10 is a top dog

You can get high from that airfix tent from just walking by it! The smell of the solvents is so overpowering
Old 07-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
First Officer

Scottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributorScottish_DC-10 is a good contributor
Thumbs up Re: Airfix models

I have about 70 or so unbuilt kits, mostly 1/144 and 1/200. Just bought a mini compresser and airbrush, definately a healty distraction and my wife has a passing interest as well as my nearly 2 year old son!

I have 2 Early first edition 1/144 proto Concordes from `69, 2 1/144 C-5`s , loads of Hasegawa 1/200 civil stuff, Falklands Anniversary box, 1/72 Concorde, about 9 1/144 Shuttles with Stack and B747, 1/100 scale Tu-144, B747, L1011, Boeing SST`s.........the list goes on!
Scottish_DC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #10
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

As you have probably already guessed, I am starting to make a foray back into building models. This is almost exclusively military at the moment but I also have some cool civil airliners in boxes.

Because my interest is mostly in Australian aircraft, most of my model kits are not Airfix - they range from mainstream players such as Revell and Hasegawa through to smaller manufacturers such as Classic Airframes (in 1:48 scale) and also resin and vacform models. I've gone a bit stupid on these recently and if I broke both legs I would have enough projects to keep me busy for ages.

I do have the Airfix Sunderland in 1:72 scale which I am saving up. Have also got their classic WWII Air Control tower in the same scale which I thought would make a nice backdrop for photographing my old warbirds.

The problem with being a perfectionist is not wanting to start a project because you know how long it will take to finish it. I reckon it is a bit addictive though. I am currently reading books about kit building and trying to pick up as many tips as I can.

Get into it Furry! I reckon you will really enjoy it. Spend the money on an airbrush as this will transform the whole experience for you. Perhaps we may end up with a thread here to show off our efforts - I know mine will never be good enough to put up on the dedicated modelling websites!

PS - have some downloads on another of my old computers that I wanted to send to you but forgot all about it. This has reminded me about them. PM me with your email and I will send them - I reckon you will like them.

flyingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
ATP Captain

matt109 is a top dogmatt109 is a top dogmatt109 is a top dogmatt109 is a top dogmatt109 is a top dogmatt109 is a top dogmatt109 is a top dogmatt109 is a top dogmatt109 is a top dogmatt109 is a top dogmatt109 is a top dog

Yes, I build kits - but I find I do other stuff as well now. I had a thread of my models made a while ago.

For Sale | My Collection
matt109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
ATP Captain

vince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dog

I have'nt built any for a few years,mainly WWII and a few jetliners....As for the healthy bit,your blood pressure goes up because you keep loseing parts,and if you can find somewhere with peace and quiet which never happens because the flamin phone always rings at the wrong time,brilliant hobby..

Last edited by vince1159; 07-20-2010 at 11:33 AM.
vince1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Wings900 Team Member

Well after a fairly stressful time in work, i bit the bullet, bought a couple of models and away i went. The first one looked like it was built by a five year old, the second more like a ten year old. I'm hoping by about the 10th they may start to look decent.

But on a positive, a great way to unwind!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
ATP Captain

vince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dogvince1159 is a top dog

Which ones did you buy furry?....
vince1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
Wings900 Team Member

I picked up a starter set with a 109G and one of my favourite warbirds, the Beaufighter. Going into town tomorrow to see about getting a couple more aircraft. Working my way up to a Sunderland!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: