Q&A with Stephan Kuelgen (Herpa product manager) - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
Flyin' High

Robin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dog
Q&A with Stephan Kuelgen (Herpa product manager)

Hello everyone, A Q&A with Herpa product manager Stephan Kuelgen has just ended and I have asked him a lot of questions regarding the 1/500. I thought I could do you guys a favour and copy all the useful information to W900, for those that didn't enter the Q&A.

Disclaimer: Most questions and answers were in German, I translated everything to English but it might not be 100% correct. I might have missed a few questions

If anyone wants the original chatlog or questions, pm me

Here is the Q&A:

- Q: Will we see any European charter airlines released in 1/500 soon? I am talking about Ryanair, Easyjet and Wizzair

A: Ryanair and Easyjet are still a 99% negative... Ryanair budged a bit in the past, but Easyjet simply has no interest in allowing any sales outside their own sales points (in-flight). As for Wizzair, we are in regular contact with them, so things look a bit brighter on that end.
------------------------

- Q: I noticed in the ‘Herpa Collection 2016’ brochure that the 1/500 Egyptair A320 has not been listed, what happened to it?

A: Egyptair A320: advance sales of this item pretty much covered our long-scheduled quantities, so we decided to not list this in the regular catalog for 2016. Later on, we might go back and do a new run with a new registration. But there still are quite a few types in the Egyptair fleet that we could tackle first.
Additional comment to the Egyptair: the A320s are finished and are being shipped right now. They should be available worldwide before the end of March.
------------------------

- Q: What has happened to the 1/500 Emirates A340?

A: The model itself has been done for many months, the problem was the box. But the box design has now been approved. She will be released before April.
------------------------

- Q: Will there be re-releases of GSE and Airport Accesoires and Buildings?

A: We are always working on accessoires in the background. This process takes years though. We do not wanna reveal a lot about this because there are simply no firm plans. One positive thing, new gangways are being designed and are almost done.
------------------------

- Q: Will we see more 1/500 models of Qatar Airways? The A350 in particular.

A: More Qatar? I certainly hope so. Definitely on the top of our agenda with them is the A350, that is for sure. We are taking things with them one by one.
------------------------

- Q: Will there be re-releases of Vietnam Airlines A350 and Air Koryo TU-154

A: We are switching between Vietnam Airlines A350 and 787, but I am quite sure there will be a re-release of the A350, as it was limited the first time. And about Air Koryo, we have one or two more options, I say quite loosely 'yes'
------------------------

- Q: Will the B777 and B747 be released in KLM's new colors?

A: The entire KLM fleet is gonna be released in the new livery. The next one will be in the 07/08 releases.
------------------------

- Q: Can Herpa improve the cockpit windows for the E170/190 models?

A: I will have to check and compare, and perhaps give our QC team a hint
------------------------

- Q: Is there a possibility we are going to see 1/500 releases from Singapore Airlines and Cathay pacific?

A:
Singapore Airlines: Currently no plans but then the models will be for in-flight sales anyways

Cathay: We are having many conversations with Cathay but I see no chance of production for Cathay, the model policy is simply unprofitable for both developer and customer.
------------------------

- Q: New 747 mould?

A: Currently no concrete plans
------------------------

- Q: All-white models

A: Probably not, licensing problems. Not enough demand for it. (Not enough custom makers)
------------------------

- Q: KLM E190 Skyteam?

A: "KLM" are one of my favorite letter combinations as a product manager, as they have such a loyal collector's following. In short: I am sure of it. But first, we will tackle (most of) the "smiling dolphins" first.
------------------------

- Q: China Southern A380 re-release

A: Probable. It has been a while. We first wanted to do some other CS-models, but the A380 seems to remain the most-wanted of the fleet.
------------------------

- Q: Qatar Amiri Flight 747-8?

All I can say right now is that we have more 747-8s coming this year.

Side note: He later said something about 5 Lufthansa 748's, but this could have been a joke though, because people were joking about the amount of Lufthansa's
------------------------

- Q: Are there any plans to release the other 2 aircraft type wearing the new TUI merger livery in 1/500 (737 and 767)?

A: We will hopefully get to more of the new TUIs in the near future. As TUI itself is streamlining their business, it will be easier for us to get permission for the individual national carriers. Some were more open to our inquiries for retail permission than others. That should change now.
------------------------

- Q: Corendon?

A: Corendon? We are in touch with them. To early to say more however.
------------------------

- Q: Cargolux 747-8F 'Cutaway'?

A: We are in contact with both parties, Cargolux and the artist. Currently the odds are not bad.
------------------------

- Q: 747F with opening nose?

A: No, unfortunately no new 747 open nose freighters planned. I thought it was a cool idea. But overall, demand was not too overwhelming. And some airlines did not want us to make a model with that feature. The insisted on the standard die-cast version.
------------------------

- Q: Norwegian 737-800?

A: Very probable
------------------------

- Q: Improved A320 family mould?

A: We are working on it
------------------------

A few short answers:

- Qatar A380 will be available at the end of February
- TUIfly 737 Tropifrutti will be available in March

I am not disappointed, a lot of in-depth answers

Robin Wallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
Easyjet

Easyjet is a good contributorEasyjet is a good contributorEasyjet is a good contributorEasyjet is a good contributorEasyjet is a good contributorEasyjet is a good contributorEasyjet is a good contributorEasyjet is a good contributorEasyjet is a good contributorEasyjet is a good contributorEasyjet is a good contributor
Re: Q&A with Stephan Kuelgen (Herpa product manager)

Well sounds like some good planes are on the way this year, hopefully a few more surprises too.
Easyjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
RJ Captain

Kmonaghen is a top dogKmonaghen is a top dogKmonaghen is a top dogKmonaghen is a top dogKmonaghen is a top dogKmonaghen is a top dogKmonaghen is a top dogKmonaghen is a top dogKmonaghen is a top dogKmonaghen is a top dogKmonaghen is a top dog

Thats great Robin thanks, I wish I had known you were doing this, I would have had you ask about Southwest Airlines. Maybe they are waiting for the 737-8MAX mould since SWA is the launch customer.
Kmonaghen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
RJ Second Officer

PerSAS is a good contributorPerSAS is a good contributorPerSAS is a good contributorPerSAS is a good contributorPerSAS is a good contributorPerSAS is a good contributorPerSAS is a good contributorPerSAS is a good contributorPerSAS is a good contributorPerSAS is a good contributorPerSAS is a good contributor

New gangways!

Hopefully for a380
PerSAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #5
The Dark Side

Charter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dog

Ciao Robin. Many thanks for the questions you did to the Herpa Product Manager, very interesting.
The answers are the same we received for years, many doubts and few certainties, or (better), few positive certainties because the "negative" news are many:
- no Ryanair
- no easyJet
- no Wizzair (at the moment)
- no Cathay Pacific
- no Singapore Airlines
I am happy for more Norwegian B737-800's and i would be happy to see Corendon (Turkey and The Netherlands) and more charter/low cost airlines.
Many thanks Robin, positive rep. added.
I want Novair A321 in 1:400 and 1:500 scale!

Charter airlines lover
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
RJ First Officer

mmp-ace is a good contributormmp-ace is a good contributormmp-ace is a good contributormmp-ace is a good contributormmp-ace is a good contributormmp-ace is a good contributormmp-ace is a good contributormmp-ace is a good contributormmp-ace is a good contributormmp-ace is a good contributormmp-ace is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmonaghen View Post
Thats great Robin thanks, I wish I had known you were doing this, I would have had you ask about Southwest Airlines. Maybe they are waiting for the 737-8MAX mould since SWA is the launch customer.
There WAS a question about Southwest (I moderated the chat...). Mr. Kuelgen said that unfortunately there are no plans to do more Southwest at the moment.

You have never seen a rock show until you've seen KISS
mmp-ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #7
G- & EI- collector

Anglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dog

At least they're aware of the A320 quality issues.
Anglojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #8
They told me to change it

Leonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dog

Thank you Robin for the great work

Anyway, i'm sad to see that Herpa doesn't have plans for a new 747 mould and also will not bring the open nose 747 back

I hope they can indeed improve the cockpit windows of the E-Jets. They look terrible.

About the Airport Accessories, well... not sure if I like the answer.
I wonder when will Herpa finally release a "General Aviation - Business Jets" package.

Sad about Ryanair and Easyjet. They don't fit in my collection but I would like to see these being released, as many collectors would be happy too. Custom workers still are the only hope.

Anyway, not so nice answers for me but hopefully nice to someone else

Also sad to see no more Southwest
Leonardo Mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #9
Flyin' High

Robin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dogRobin Wallet is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmonaghen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerSAS View Post
New gangways!

Hopefully for a380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Ciao Robin. Many thanks for the questions you did to the Herpa Product Manager, very interesting.
The answers are the same we received for years, many doubts and few certainties, or (better), few positive certainties because the "negative" news are many:
- no Ryanair
- no easyJet
- no Wizzair (at the moment)
- no Cathay Pacific
- no Singapore Airlines
I am happy for more Norwegian B737-800's and i would be happy to see Corendon (Turkey and The Netherlands) and more charter/low cost airlines.
Many thanks Robin, positive rep. added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglojet View Post
At least they're aware of the A320 quality issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Mello View Post
Thank you Robin for the great work

Anyway, i'm sad to see that Herpa doesn't have plans for a new 747 mould and also will not bring the open nose 747 back

I hope they can indeed improve the cockpit windows of the E-Jets. They look terrible.

About the Airport Accessories, well... not sure if I like the answer.
I wonder when will Herpa finally release a "General Aviation - Business Jets" package.

Sad about Ryanair and Easyjet. They don't fit in my collection but I would like to see these being released, as many collectors would be happy too. Custom workers still are the only hope.

Anyway, not so nice answers for me but hopefully nice to someone else

Also sad to see no more Southwest
Thanks for the nice words guys I had fun talking to Stephan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmp-ace View Post
There WAS a question about Southwest (I moderated the chat...). Mr. Kuelgen said that unfortunately there are no plans to do more Southwest at the moment.
There was indeed a question about American narrowbodies. I think I missed it, I am sorry.

Robin Wallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
The Dark Side

Charter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dog

According to Wingsworld magazine the B-1 Lancer is a new mould in 1:200 scale, but the A320Neo is a new 1:500 mould?

Charter airlines lover
Old 02-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #11
Earning My Wings

Mill0r is flying under the radar

I was asking about when the Qantas Link Boeing 717 will be released as it is not posted in the Herpa Wings Collection 2016 catalogue.
Sadly his answer was that it will propably not be produce at all because demand was lower than expected. Same situation as with the Suday Airways A300 last year
Mill0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:08 PM   #12
They told me to change it

Leonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill0r View Post
I was asking about when the Qantas Link Boeing 717 will be released as it is not posted in the Herpa Wings Collection 2016 catalogue.
Sadly his answer was that it will propably not be produce at all because demand was lower than expected. Same situation as with the Suday Airways A300 last year
Wow. Herpa is simply cancelling too many models lately
Leonardo Mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:31 PM   #13
G- & EI- collector

Anglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
A320Neo is a new 1:500 mould?
They should use the NEO as a way of starting from fresh the A320 family. Identical to the CEO except for the engines.
Anglojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #14
The Dark Side

Qantas Link B717 cancelled? Shameful again!

Charter airlines lover
Old 02-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #15
Earning My Wings

nilbu is flying under the radarnilbu is flying under the radar

The full chat is now available here: http://chat.flughafendiorama.de/Chat-20160204.pdf
nilbu is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: