What is happening to Herpa and to 1:500 world? - Page 3 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #31
First Officer

Speedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dog
Re: What is happening to Herpa and to 1:500 world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Diesel View Post
Thanks for the info - so the employee telling me the story was either making a bad joke - or someone made a bad joke with HIM.

As for the quality of models: I recently got two models of the B737-700 of Malev: Herpa and Inflight500. Guess which one had more detail printed on it and had engines NOT looking like made of plastic?
Engins agree, but Cockpit and nose colour and size Herpa wins.
IF nose is too light blue painted and the Cockpit doesnt look as good as the Herpa one in my opinion.
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #32
RJ Captain

getifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top dog

Back on topic:
It’s almost a year now since herpa informed the collector that the 2014 Christmas model (a 707-400 with mould of »Big Bird« origin) had to be cancelled because of »a closed supplier«. As it turned out that »closed supplier« was one of the two mainstays of herpa labelled 1:500 production in china and home of facilities and toolsets of many moulds. Against many statements (and dewy-eyed believes) herpa has not been able to reorganize their network of Chinese suppliers and herpa labelled 1:500 releases continue to be »at half throttle« not only quantity but quality-wise.

As herpa tends to fool the public with their »made in Germany« hype, they never named (or clarified the role of) their Chinese partners. In case of the »closed supplier« there was every indication that it was »Witty Wings«, a model manufacturer that had been producing in the past not only under its own but under the herpa and inflight500/inflight200 brand (among others). Months before its closure there were rumours about sustained workers abuse and unpaid license fees. And when Chinese authorities finally interfered and seized all the goods of Witty Industrial Co. an ex inflight200 employee stated, that it would take many months to clarify the ownership of machinery and tools.

Apparently herpa wasn’t too successful in keeping »their« once »Witty Wings based« toolkits or couldn’t find another manufacturer who had the knowledge and manpower to resume the lost production. And this leads to the next problem that not only herpa but every model manufacturer in China has to face: fast rising labour costs (more than 10% a year) not in step with productivity. Thus herpa might be reconsidering China as a manufacturing base and the current unprecedented delays might be due to more than just production allocation problems in South China.
getifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #33
ATP Captain

hikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by getifero View Post
Back on topic:
It’s almost a year now since herpa informed the collector that the 2014 Christmas model (a 707-400 with mould of »Big Bird« origin) had to be cancelled because of »a closed supplier«. As it turned out that »closed supplier« was one of the two mainstays of herpa labelled 1:500 production in china and home of facilities and toolsets of many moulds. Against many statements (and dewy-eyed believes) herpa has not been able to reorganize their network of Chinese suppliers and herpa labelled 1:500 releases continue to be »at half throttle« not only quantity but quality-wise.

As herpa tends to fool the public with their »made in Germany« hype, they never named (or clarified the role of) their Chinese partners. In case of the »closed supplier« there was every indication that it was »Witty Wings«, a model manufacturer that had been producing in the past not only under its own but under the herpa and inflight500/inflight200 brand (among others). Months before its closure there were rumours about sustained workers abuse and unpaid license fees. And when Chinese authorities finally interfered and seized all the goods of Witty Industrial Co. an ex inflight200 employee stated, that it would take many months to clarify the ownership of machinery and tools.

Apparently herpa wasn’t too successful in keeping »their« once »Witty Wings based« toolkits or couldn’t find another manufacturer who had the knowledge and manpower to resume the lost production. And this leads to the next problem that not only herpa but every model manufacturer in China has to face: fast rising labour costs (more than 10% a year) not in step with productivity. Thus herpa might be reconsidering China as a manufacturing base and the current unprecedented delays might be due to more than just production allocation problems in South China.
The Made in China brand has been tarnished forever. Rising costs due to the boom of capitalist venture in a pseudo-Communist regime. Not to mention we are just feeding into their expansionist policies.

Okay, back on topic. I do think that in the long-run, Herpa should consider bringing back manufacturing to its backyard. Didn't the first few plastic models start in their car factories? I think that is the only way quality could be assured.

I guess a major setback of this is that we may see fewer models which are more expensive. Then again, don't people buy those outrageously expensive ANA models?

Just my two cents.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #34
Earning My Wings

BWhiteman1972 is flying under the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
I am aviation nerd ever since and I sticked to it, so I think I will take my Kids to the Airport like my dad did with me...
I've been hooked since my first flight at the age of 7, only over the last 10 years have I started to become a serious collector.

I take all my kids to airports as often as I can, my youngest 3 still love it... the two boys especially. My eldest daughter still has a fleeting interest, but she's about to become a teenager, so...

My eldest son, has not long turned 9 and already has a collection of 7 1:500 models and is at me for more all the time.

I certainly hope the scale lasts for a very long time to come.
BWhiteman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #35
RJ Captain

getifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhiteman1972 View Post

My eldest son, has not long turned 9 and already has a collection of 7 1:500 models and is at me for more all the time.
Fewer than 14 years old and already 7 1:500 models full of small parts, reckless…

But seriously, happy collecting!
getifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #36
Earning My Wings

BWhiteman1972 is flying under the radar

Quote:
Fewer than 14 years old and already 7 1:500 models full of small parts, reckless…

Seriously... he has them on shelf, doesn't play with them. He is well aware they are not for playing with.
BWhiteman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #37
Roaring into the clouds

DutchCollector is a top dogDutchCollector is a top dogDutchCollector is a top dogDutchCollector is a top dogDutchCollector is a top dogDutchCollector is a top dogDutchCollector is a top dogDutchCollector is a top dogDutchCollector is a top dogDutchCollector is a top dogDutchCollector is a top dog

Quote:
Seriously... he has them on shelf, doesn't play with them. He is well aware they are not for playing with.
Think he refers to the fact that on the Herpa box, it says: Not for children under 14 years
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:45 PM   #38
They told me to change it

Leonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dog

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Think he refers to the fact that on the Herpa box, it says: Not for children under 14 years
hahaha I got my first Herpa at age 10.
And I play with them, even nowadays.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:16 AM   #39
banned

SausageAndMash is getting startedSausageAndMash is getting startedSausageAndMash is getting startedSausageAndMash is getting startedSausageAndMash is getting startedSausageAndMash is getting started

I'm fiding it increasingly hard to understand Herpa's production policy lately.

They continue to produce niche lines such as the Galaxy and Tu144 yet claim there is no demand for the 737 classic, of which hundreds still remain in service across the world, plus countless 'Yesterday' possibilities.

They have two completely different moulds for the 737-700 - one for wingleted aircraft, one for without. Same applies to the 757-200.

Still no CSeries in 1:500 but there is in 1:400

Refusal to invest in a new mould for 747 classics, with hundreds still in passenger and freight service, plus ample 'Yesterday' possibilities.

Nice moulds such as the DC-9-15, MD-90, 146 never see the light of day any more.

Last edited by SausageAndMash; 12-10-2016 at 06:18 AM.
SausageAndMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #40
Captain

Eurojet is a diecast iconEurojet is a diecast iconEurojet is a diecast iconEurojet is a diecast iconEurojet is a diecast iconEurojet is a diecast iconEurojet is a diecast iconEurojet is a diecast iconEurojet is a diecast iconEurojet is a diecast iconEurojet is a diecast icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausageAndMash View Post
I'm fiding it increasingly hard to understand Herpa's production policy lately.

They continue to produce niche lines such as the Galaxy and Tu144 yet claim there is no demand for the 737 classic, of which hundreds still remain in service across the world, plus countless 'Yesterday' possibilities.
// I'm sure there is a demand for a new 737 classic mould.
The 737-700 body roughly has the same length as the 737-300. Herpa can just take the same body, put new wings and engines on it, choose the right airline mix between current and oldies and voila.

They have two completely different moulds for the 737-700 - one for wingleted aircraft, one for without. Same applies to the 757-200.
//a cost-minimising strategy, which is not very collector-friendly. In my opinion a very short-sighted approach, it really can't cost a fortune to develop a new mould for wings without winglets.

Still no CSeries in 1:500 but there is in 1:400
//only a matter of time, but I think the A320neo will come first (Nürnberg toy fair)

Refusal to invest in a new mould for 747 classics, with hundreds still in passenger and freight service, plus ample 'Yesterday' possibilities.
//not sure what you are talking about. There are not hundreds of 747 classics still in service, unless you count the -400 as classic aswell?
In my opinion Herpa should dig out the BigBird moulds, should be available within the JC wings treasure chamber if still usable?

Nice moulds such as the DC-9-15, MD-90, 146 never see the light of day any more.
//the Avro absolutely needs a RJ70/RJ85 version with updated gears
Eurojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #41
RJ First Officer

aeronarcotics_1987 is flying under the radar

The problem is with the 747s with of course the exception of the -8s, 777 a bit out of shape, 767 neutral, 757 no problem, but 787 not looking too good either. Airbus appears to be winning with its current moulds.
aeronarcotics_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #42
They told me to change it

Leonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronarcotics_1987 View Post
Airbus appears to be winning with its current moulds.
Hmmm not so sure.

A300, A310 = OK
A318 = OK
A319, A320, A321 = awful mould, terrible pylons/nose/gears/engines
A330/A340 = pointy nose, long gears, otherwise OK
A350 = too spaced gear bogies, otherwise OK
A380 = OK
Old 12-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #43
banned

SausageAndMash is getting startedSausageAndMash is getting startedSausageAndMash is getting startedSausageAndMash is getting startedSausageAndMash is getting startedSausageAndMash is getting started

Thanks to Eurojet for the replies. Lets see what the Toy Fair in February has to offer...
SausageAndMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #44
Captain

HerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Mello View Post
hahaha I got my first Herpa at age 10.
And I play with them, even nowadays.

You hear so much of this, children playing with these models and then years later they sell for $200 to $500! lol

Herpa models went from toys to collector items!
Herpa Wings 1:500 Collector
It's not just a hobby - It's a passion
HerpaYVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #45
Captain

HerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributorHerpaYVR is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Ciao dear friends and fellow collectors of the 1:500 world.
My question is: what is happening to Herpa? I think there are many problems but i don't understand which. New models are announced but many more of them are delayed and some models where announced more than a year ago and they are still missing. I really don't know which moulds Herpa can use, which moulds are property of the manufacturer and for which moulds they have to ask the permission; i don't understand why, if they have developed a new A320 mould ( acceptable) and a B737-700/800 mould (very nice the -800, i don't know the -700 because they have not yet produced B737-700 models!), the models are delayed (Iberia Express, Iberia new livery, Tarom retro, etc.).
Nobody seems to have an answer to all these problems, it doesn't seem everything is ok.
Do you have answers...REAL ANSWERS, not something linked to Herpa merchandising or something said to make us feel good and quiet: if there weren't Sky500, Aero500 and sometimes JC Wings, the 1:500 would be almost dead so far.
I am not sure if today's much younger collectors fully understand the transition that this hobby has gone through. Since the boom days of the 1990's many manufactures have come and gone while Herpa remains. A few years ago Herpa was forced to make serious management and ownership changes. This was a good thing, but being in Europe is also meant it was expensive and extremely bureaucratic. I believe they have a poor grip on their quality control and operations in China. Not sure if it would be cheaper change production closer to Germany and have this done in Eastern Europe now?

Because Herpa is legitimate and has to pay licensing to the airlines and some of these negotiating and licensing fees are expensive, so the cost goes up.

Like a lot of things today, its just getting more expensive to buy and I fully understand why they need to mass produce so many models. From a business perspective I see what they are doing. A mould cost a lot to produce and you want to maximize its return!

It is a different world in collecting now, Herpa is a strong and respectable brand, so many have challenge it and failed?

Can another player enter this field and succeed? Perhaps, but that business model would have to be very different and move away from traditional supply chain delivery and focus on specialty shops and online. It would need to establish a very strong and desirable brand very quickly. Many airlines already have agreements with existing companies, so this would be a challenge, but possible.
Herpa Wings 1:500 Collector
It's not just a hobby - It's a passion

Last edited by HerpaYVR; 12-11-2016 at 04:00 PM.
HerpaYVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: