What is happening to Herpa and to 1:500 world? - Page 2 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #16
Polish collector of 1:500

7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog
Re: What is happening to Herpa and to 1:500 world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikouki View Post
Are kids these days just more into video games?
Xbox One, PS4, smartphones...
194 models in 1:500
My airport & models
My rnav photos
7wesker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015, 03:38 AM   #17
ATP Captain

hikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFan View Post
I wonder if the bigger issue is lack of awareness. ...
Of the two shops there, when I asked one owner about 1:500, he told me he no longer carries them as the scale is dead.
One of the attractions of the smaller scale (i.e., 1/500) is that it is more compatible with airport-building. The planes are small enough, but no compromise on details (unlike the infamous 1/600 Schabaks). 1/1000 is way too small to have airport GSEs.

Not too long ago, we had the following that kept the 1/500 scale alive:
- Airlines preferring 1/500 for inflight sales. Apparently, production became more exclusive, with ANA bypassing Herpa and even sponsoring some tooling directly with Hogan. Apparently, Hogan is very hard to get a hold of compared to Herpa (or perhaps they are just charging too much). I know for a fact that several airlines have complained about this. PPC and Lupa both offered cheaper and faster production alternatives to Hogan.
- Herpa actively promoting the "Herport" concept with various GSEs. (Then they all of a sudden pulled the plug. The ICE basic set only lasted one production run, even though spare railways and trains are still out there.)
- Competition that constantly drove up quality. Starjets catalysed the NG gears at Herpa. Hogan's details became the envy at Herpa. SJ died and Hogan is mostly dormant.
- W900 was a bustling community. Some of our "kids" started "growing up" But really, I think this community started to decline because the web site is not being maintained (too many ads, DB not updated, etc.)
Old 06-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #18
RJ Captain

getifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top dog

Quote:
Not too long ago, we had the following that kept the 1/500 scale alive:
- Competition that constantly drove up quality. Starjets catalysed the NG gears at Herpa. Hogan's details became the envy at Herpa. SJ died and Hogan is mostly dormant.
Big Bird and Inflight500 (some great moulds) not to be forgotten!

Quote:
- W900 was a bustling community. Some of our "kids" started "growing up" But really, I think this community started to decline because the web site is not being maintained (too many ads, DB not updated, etc.)
Very true..., but back to topic:

If I had to characterize herpas 1:500 model and production policy of the past ten years in three terms I would choose lack of veracity, lack of control and lack of direction.

herpa claims to produce models »in close cooperation with leading airplane manufacturers« that »live up to their originals in terms of quality, design and fascination« but in the 1:500 market segment mainly distributes under the herpa label poorly controlled third party services of inconsistent mould development, assembling and printing quality.

In the course of their 1:500-history herpa drew on an even in 1:400-scale unrivalled mould diversity that covered nearly every important passenger or transport airplane from the 1930s to the present. But as varied the tool origins were, so unfocused and diverse were mould quality and range. Some excellent moulds of very limited livery repertory emerged (Tu 114), other basic moulds (the A320 family) over far too much years (down to the present day?) did not gain an adequate treatment (»in terms of quality, design and fascination«). Still with every new toolset the mould characteristics from model long runners change from too thick to too thin, from too pointy to too round, from too high to too low. There is no true mould-evolution, poor sample control of renewed/updated moulds (to say nothing of »close cooperation with leading airplane manufacturers«) and suspicion grows that the low-priced and not the most adequate tender is awarded the contract.

When herpa was in serious financial troubles at the end of 2008 they alleged painful losses on the basis of production delays and cost increases in China. Has anything changed in 2015?

If I interpreted herpas statutory financial statements correctly out of nearly 200 herpa employees there is one person in Hong Kong coordinating herpas manufacturing orders with the local suppliers. I don’t know at what extent this person has excess to the Chinese production facilities and has time and powers to make any significant controls. But it seems clear that since 2008 herpa has gained insufficient quality and cost control in China.
getifero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2015, 03:25 PM   #19
First Officer

Speedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dog

I dont think all of the mentioned things have to do anything with decline in models.

Dont think at all there is more or less collectors as before. It is like with model Trains...some People stick to it, some start it but lose the interest or energy or whatever.

I am aviation nerd ever since and I sticked to it, so I think I will take my Kids to the Airport like my dad did with me...

Dont Forget, times are changing, People reinvent themselves so often in a new way and not all have the breath to stick with one Thing (or Hobby) anymore....

What should I say as a timetable collector ? For me the Quality is not the issue....Airlines simply dont print them anymore, same goes for postcards.

In that respect all you can do is to enjoy what you get and be happy with what you have and like and dont strive always for completeness, 100% perfection and correctness. It will not make your collection, whatever it is, enjoyable.

I like a plane, I buy it....and even if it might not be perfect....as Long as it is satisfactory enough for me, it's all good. Dont care then about what People like or dont like at the model.

You buy a Herpa for 70USD...fine, if it is worth it for YOU !!! That is what counts...if People wouldnt spend a dime on it, fine.

1:500 is not dead....it became just a Little less colourful with some manufacturers folding it's wings.
But it is not dead ....

and btw, honestly...look at yourself in your pocket...People dont spend as much anymore easily in countries due to crisis and same also goes for companies like Airlines etc.
The Environment is changing a lot for companies who produce diecasts.....see Märklin, LGB or Minitrix as example as well.
And I think a big issue is Internet as well....in the past People went to Shops, nowadays These Shops often have to Close as People tend to buy online only...

Last edited by Speedbird 001; 06-30-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:53 PM   #20
RJ Captain

getifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top doggetifero is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
I am aviation nerd ever since and I sticked to it, so I think I will take my Kids to the Airport like my dad did with me...
I wish you many kids, a good hand and good luck with them.

I took my son to the airport too, played a lot of soccer and made big cycling tours with him. But when he was about twelve years he demanded a computer, lost interest in sports and was solely attracted by role playing and fantasy computer games. And of course he often liked to do quite the opposite of what his parents expected him to do. At least my daughter and wife share my interest for soccer. But this is just as far as I have come.
getifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #21
Second Officer

AI742 is getting startedAI742 is getting startedAI742 is getting startedAI742 is getting startedAI742 is getting startedAI742 is getting started

500 scale sales have been dwindling for the past 4 or 6 years. many of the suppliers/friends where i`m a regular sometimes ask me why I don't switch to 400 scale. I don't know if it is a problem of loyalty, or my pure framework of regulated pleasure and amusement to stick to this scale. I simply adore 500!
Recently, I was told by 1 of these guys in HKG that the 500 scale was rising again in terms of sales. This may be good news for Herpa that probably needs a larger client-base to make a turnover.
Recently, there are more inflight sales. I have been coming across it on Philipine AL, SQ, Thai. a lot are selling Lupa and PCC models. That is maybe because Herpas are so expensive. a clear example of that is the Thai inflight sale: the A380 is produced by Lupa and the B787 is by Herpa, as no one else has the 787 mould on 500 scale.

I really hope that Herpa comes out of the red and realizes that they have to cut on prices to increase their client base. That is what BMW and Mercedes have been doing after all!!
AI742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #22
Puddle Jumper

Skylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by getifero View Post
I wish you many kids, a good hand and good luck with them.

I took my son to the airport too, played a lot of soccer and made big cycling tours with him. But when he was about twelve years he demanded a computer, lost interest in sports and was solely attracted by role playing and fantasy computer games. And of course he often liked to do quite the opposite of what his parents expected him to do. At least my daughter and wife share my interest for soccer. But this is just as far as I have come.
Maybe it just needs some time to 'settle'.
My cousin used to take me with him on his spotting tours to Zurich an Frankfurt/Main in the mid 80's as I was 13 or 14 years old. Almost 25 years later I found the photos of these trips on the attic and I immediately started to collect the models of the planes we have spotted at that time (unfortunately there are not too many 80's models in 1:500 in New Generation available). The I started adding models of the aircraft I used to fly with in my career and so on. Today I have a collection of more than 1000 models.....
Lets hope the best for your son, maybe you cropped a passion but your son does not know about it yet ;-)
Old 07-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #23
Puddle Jumper

Skylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributorSkylink is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital View Post
I absolutely don't mind the delays. It's not a medicine. It's not like I need that exact model tomorrow. I'm fine waiting six months to a year for a plane. My concerns are more about the rising price and decreasing quality of models. A few years ago models ranged between 15-30$. Now I am habitually spending between 30-50$. Two models in and I've already dropped a hundred. I can't keep this up unless I get a promotion. I'm really not willing to spend 60-75$ on a medium sized model, but that seems to be where things are going, Aero500 has already taken us there. ......
Did you think about the fact, that the Euro is losing its value since a couple of years compared to the YEN? That means that herpa has to pay more more EUR/model for the manufacturing and they forward these expenses to the customer for sure...
Old 07-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #24
G- & EI- collector

Anglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dogAnglojet is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI742 View Post
B787 is by Herpa, as no one else has the 787 mould on 500 scale.
Hogan and JC do.
Anglojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #25
Polish collector of 1:500

7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog7wesker7 is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Diesel View Post
What about the rumors that the delays are owed to the recent sinking of a merchant ship with a containerload of Asian-made parts for Herpa 1:500 models? Did you hear some REAL information on that?
194 models in 1:500
My airport & models
My rnav photos
7wesker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #26
They told me to change it

Leonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dogLeonardo Mello is a top dog

Quote:
What about the rumors that the delays are owed to the recent sinking of a merchant ship with a containerload of Asian-made parts for Herpa 1:500 models? Did you hear some REAL information on that?
I had the same reaction as Taylor Swift

If true, Herpa should really post a note on their website, or maybe sending informative emails to retailers and clients...
Old 07-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #27
First Officer

Speedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dogSpeedbird 001 is a top dog

Quote:
What Kind of complete bull*** is that ???
Old 07-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #28
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a top dogWingslover is a top dogWingslover is a top dogWingslover is a top dogWingslover is a top dogWingslover is a top dogWingslover is a top dogWingslover is a top dogWingslover is a top dogWingslover is a top dogWingslover is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
What Kind of complete bull*** is that ???
It is indeed ridiculous

Where have you heard that rumor?

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:56 AM   #29
W900 frequent flyer

Skysuite is a diecast iconSkysuite is a diecast iconSkysuite is a diecast iconSkysuite is a diecast iconSkysuite is a diecast iconSkysuite is a diecast iconSkysuite is a diecast iconSkysuite is a diecast iconSkysuite is a diecast iconSkysuite is a diecast iconSkysuite is a diecast icon

lol containers sounds legit;p.anyway guys,as i've heard the business in china driven down a lot this past years,which is going to make some real punch to western company,thats why we seen price rise but lack of quality followed,all they need was profit for sure.one thing that curious me,why japanese company never look at these business,they have a super quality model tough especially ANA hogan,
and i even cant find herpa at all in japanese model shop,surprisingly.but for the sake of our love to airplane,you would keep buying right?
Skysuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:28 AM   #30
First Officer

Quote:
Actually it came from one employee of one of my local shops selling Herpa model aircraft. He also stated that it was just rumor - that's why I asked here if it was true or not. Especially since I found no evidence of such an incident on the all-knowing internet, I suppose it IS not more than just rumors.

Anyway, I can comfort you a bit, guys: before I started with collecting model aircraft, I collected model railroad for many years - Z gauge (1:220). Many parallels there: one big brand (Herpa vs. Märklin) producing and selling in Europe, with some smaller companies in the US and Japan - those models almost never made it to here. Therefore I can tell you that Herpa still seems to be better than Märklin, regarding quality, delays in shipping new models etc.

Of course this does NOT mean I like Herpa delaying its new models again and again (what about those two Tu-154s for Malev and Air Koryo?) - and I also dislike deterioration in quality. But trust me: it could be worse. And I bet none of us wants it to become worse...
Actually, there was a loss of a containership in Asia, but this was only a Little Feeder vessel. As Herpa is sourcing from China, I would bet they will deliver directly to one of the hub ports and there you only have the big vessels. And None of those has sunk, that I would know 100% for sure being employed in exactly that industry.

So I really Think it is a funny rumour only.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: