Herpa breaking news. - Page 4 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #46
RJ Captain

SalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributor
Re: Prayer to Herpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5maier View Post
To be honest: I have a lot more faith in God listening to my prayers that in herpa.

Regarding the choice of which models to make, I can even understand their problem, Digital has explained it very well.

But their seeming ignorance concerning e.g. quality issues mentioned here is very frustrating and I would appreciate if they would openly contribute to this forum with some honest information on what is going on and what we can expect for the future. I think it would do them good. (And this comment is not solely addressed to herpa, but to other manufacturers as well.)
Maybe even they themselves do not know what is going on. They just keep doing it without pause or consideration!
SalmonellaMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #47
ATP Captain

Antesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast icon

Quote:
agree. Herpa seem to make lots of yesterday series models, which are good if
you want to create this type of airport, but I have found many of us want the herpa collection to be with the now and less of these crappy moulds too.
But as Herpa continue to produce airport buildings and Accessories that looks like they are 40 years old, the yesterday series may make sense...

But what I think is that Herpa must decide if they want to produce models for many people or for just a few collectors. I always say that if this hobby is to survive in the long run, the models must be available to more people. ie not just collectors. Every toystore must carry models, gas stations, supermarkets etc. too. When, and only when, this is achived Herpa can start to make money on limited edition models. If they continue to produce only expensive, limited editions, Herpa will not survive for much longer... And that would be very bad I think.

//Antesyd

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” – - Albert Einstein

The latest arrivals:
*Herpa Norwegian, United, Qatar and China Southern B787, 1:500
*Herpa BA A380, 1:500
*Sky500 Cebu Pacific A330 1:500

Antesyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #48
Wings900 Team Member

mmu69 is a top dogmmu69 is a top dogmmu69 is a top dogmmu69 is a top dogmmu69 is a top dogmmu69 is a top dogmmu69 is a top dogmmu69 is a top dogmmu69 is a top dogmmu69 is a top dogmmu69 is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonellaMD View Post
What if W900 and DAC both go silent? Silent about Herpa? Would Herpa be happy? What if Herpa found itself without its patrons? There is a saying that you realize the value of one thing only when you have lost it.

I propose that there be a 24-hour period of silence with regards to anything about Herpa on this forum. A blackout.
At the end of the day, all that counts is the bottom line on the balance sheet. How is a 24-h radio silence going to influence that?

Most people don't even read W900 every 24 h, I suppose...
mmu69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #49
The Dark Side

Charter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dog

I think that 24 hours is too little time. I think that to make it clear to Herpa that we have problems with its production, with its policy, with the moulds, the silence should be of almost 7 days or more!
I want Novair A321 in 1:400 and 1:500 scale!

Charter airlines lover
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #50
Captain

Digital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast iconDigital is a diecast icon

I really doubt that keeping off the forums is going to make any difference at all. Its questionable if Herpa even aware of the existance of these forums that you mentioned, let alone if they even check them on a regular enough basis.

It would make a lot more sense if everyone just up and wrote a one paragraph letter to herpa and emailed that off.

The problem is everyone wants something else, and some of it isnt feasible. If we ran herpa, it would colapse in weeks.

We cant go to herpa with all our wishlists and demand they make the type of models we want and expect anything serious to come out of it. Its okay to have a wishlist, its okay to have preferences, but thats something thats subjective. Everybody collects something different, we will just have to wait for the models we want to be released, however long that takes.

We have to face that there is no clear definition of models "We" want. "We" cant go to herpa and say "We" want such and such models made, because "We" all want different ones produced. And if "We" do some research "We" might be dissapointed because "We" might figure out that "We" might not even want models "We" think "We" want. "We" might screw ourselves over because the models "We" wanted might never get produced because "We" wanted somthing else, and "We" got the upper hand.

Herpa has the great responsibility of trying to please "Us", and stay in business doing so, which is about as diffucult a task as can be. Just because they have been doing a worse than usual job of it lately, coupled with the fact that other manufacturers have suddenly dissapeared, is just making us frustrated.

What we can ask, is somthing that most everyone here agrees with. That is quality assurement. By this I mean the moulds that are currently in use. I think we can successfully team up against the use of inferior moulds. Herpa should not use moulds of which there are better versious of available, which they should have access too. I'm not sure how to do that, but thats the place to start.

If we really expect to change anthing than we need to agree on a messege, second we need to get that messege to herpa, then push it home until they do somthing about it.
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #51
Aftc Student Pilot

Noxious is a poor contributorNoxious is a poor contributor

Yes i am in i would like Herpa to make the rest of the Qantas fleet and Jetstar and Virgin blue. i think Herpa should be a business for collectors with designs (for models) by collectors!

My Airport Website
Jrhintl.freehostia.com
Not finished or spell checked yet
Noxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #52
Earning My Wings

wp2023 is flying under the radar

Allthough I truely understand the motivation for this thread I think Digital has explained the problem very well in two postings.
I also agree to the conclusion: The only point that is promising to communicate to Herpa is the quality issue. To see models that are simply of too low quality has also significantly lessened my enthusiasm to collect. However, to find not so many models which do not fit with my interest and personal wishlist was never such a deep disappointment (you could still hope for the next releases). To see that the quality is bad and stays bad makes me more depressed: Why should I then be excited about the next releases? To see the livery you hoped for in a bad quality? Thats somehow even worse...
wp2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #53
Fleet Builder

Jakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonellaMD View Post
I think overall, it is very nice to hear what other collectors think and how they feel about this and that model and about why this other one has not been released. This forum has been witness to many good ideas and suggestions. All of these ideas are there for the picking. But no one seems to heed them. Herpa certainly seems to ignore many of our suggestions. It just remains silent, and has been so all these years.

What if W900 and DAC both go silent? Silent about Herpa? Would Herpa be happy? What if Herpa found itself without its patrons? There is a saying that you realize the value of one thing only when you have lost it.

I propose that there be a 24-hour period of silence with regards to anything about Herpa on this forum. A blackout.
Nope. How about a month? 2 months? People will still be buying Herpa stuff, but nobody will be talking about them. I mean, action figure manufacturers have been quite successful in leaving it up to fans for years to vote on what they want produced. Herpa has some real issues. I wish they'd advertise in more hobby magazines, and make their stuff more readily available. I'm tired of mail ordering this crap. There are good hobby stores here in Houston, but they don't sell any 1/400 or 1/500 planes. Herpa's plane choices and liveries are fine by me, but I'm tired of having to spend more bidding on this stuff.

The issue here is the fact that Herpa doesn't give 2 ^@%% about us, or else they'd answer our/my e-mails within a reasonable amount of time. Frankly, I'm tired of them, yet I continue to buy their stuff secondhand. I can't get parts for my planes, either. I've been waiting for over a year for my 1/500 747 landing gears and 727 horizontal stabilizer. They even said they'd dispatch it to me soon, and for free at that! I haven't received a damned thing. I even wrote one e-mail in German! LOL. No response. Their business ethic sucks. Hell, if one of Hot Wheels cars breaks, Mattel will replace my .99 cent item within a few weeks after mailing it to them. That's customer service! That's not bad considering all they'd have to do is tell me to take a hike, and just go buy another one (which I did, but I wanted to see how good they were about replacing such a cheap item, costwise, that is.)
Jakfuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:56 AM   #54
The Dark Side

Charter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dogCharter is a top dog

I know this is only an hobby, but it is a very expensive hobby. Each month, on average, i spend euro 300. So i know that many of you are use to say: "if you don't like it, don't buy it"; i know that each of us have a wish list; but we must not only be passive and wait for the models we MUST have, we must be propositive and we must focus on quality but also on quantity. Our 1:500 collection is nearly dying, and a good choice is to change scale or to save euro 300 each month.

Charter airlines lover
Old 06-23-2010, 02:38 AM   #55
Fleet Builder

Jakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributorJakfuki is an excellent contributor

That's what I've said for months, too. This an expensive hobby. I'm at a loss when to comes to explaining, or figuring out how this hobby even survives. It's not like anybody other than us even knows about it. I don't personally know anyone who even collects these planes. It's such a strange hobby in that there's really no way to gauge how well 1/500 is doing compared to the other scales. All I go by is the fact that everytime I get on here, there are always more people viewing the 1/500 thread more than any other. The 1/400 is usually second. 1/500 is not going anywhere. They were saying that years ago when I started collecting this stuff. I'll bet you that 1/200 bites the dust first. Has anybody checked Ebay, and noticed how nuts the bidding is on 1/500 compared to the 1/400 planes? I think 1/400 scale snobs just want us to think that 1/400 is more popular; it's not. All you have to do is pay attention to Ebay, and retailers to get an idea as to what's going on. This is probably why Herpa and Inflight has been making more 1/500 stuff than anything else. If 1/400 is so damned popular, then why don't they make a wide variety of GSE and other stuff? Why? Because it's not as popular. Duh! I love 1/400, but it doesn't really hold a candle to 1/500. I'm glad that Herpa has been cranking out a lot of 1/500 planes. In some ways, I really don't care what they make as far as airlines go. I'd rather be surprised, and have the opportunity to buy a variety of airlines. I'm a Lufthansa and KLM fanatic, but I'm kinda tired of always having a ton of LH planes from Herpa. The Herpa quality issue is not as bad as with some Gemini Jets and others in larger scales. I've read the other posts that back this up. And as I said in another post, if this hobby is dying, then the whole thing will die, not just one scale. The one thing I hate about this hobby as a whole is that it always seems to always be on its last leg. It's like it always about to go under. What Herpa really needs is for a major American toy company to buy it out, and give this hobby a major push in the area of marketing. What's really killing this hobby is the lack of proper marketing, not quantity and quality. I have never seen a magazine ad for Herpa. The closest thing I have seen is a German commercial for it on Youtube, and that's it. If this hobby were to go under, though, I know that there's still a zillion planes to buy on the aftermarket. Another way 1/500 can stay alive is to have the 1/500 manufacturers not be a bunch of fly by night companies (i.e. Netmodels, Starjets, Aero500, Big Bird, and a bunch of others who either went belly up in no time, or came/come out with new models only after the planets align; in other words, rarely). Herpa does actually manage stick to something resembling a release schedule, and they are pretty good about coming out with the models they promise. Their customer service still sucks, though. LOL.

Last edited by Jakfuki; 06-23-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #56
RJ Captain

Sabena747 is a good contributorSabena747 is a good contributorSabena747 is a good contributorSabena747 is a good contributorSabena747 is a good contributorSabena747 is a good contributorSabena747 is a good contributorSabena747 is a good contributorSabena747 is a good contributorSabena747 is a good contributorSabena747 is a good contributor

I've started collecting in 2003. I started with 1:500 becuse it was easily accessible besides the internet and the Herpa moulds were improving an offered a great value for the price.

I then started 1:400 due to the raising prices and the continuous lack of detail on 1:500 stuff.

About a year ago Herpa lost it: bad moulds and high prices. Reason: Herpa is not interested in the collector. They had the best A340-600, Concorde and 737-600 mould in 1:400 and that is exactly the scale they dropped. Why? Because 80% of their income comes from LH, who isn't interested in the collector either but only in inflight toys. It's as simple as that. Kids want rolling wheels, collectors want details: so Herpa brings on the roling wheels.

Apart from a few good moulds (mostly Russians) it is getting worse. The good 747 mould they had is now traded for a mould that is below par. The baby-busses have droopy noses and upswept wings, the A-330s now have pointed noses etc. Reason: the great Hogan moulds (probably to expensive) are traded for third rate moulds from dubious factories.

BUT: kids don't care....

As much as i deplore it, it won't change because for Herpa, we are just 'collectors' and collectors want details and perfect planes, on which Herpa doesn't make money!

One thing goes for 1:500, 1:200 and 1:400: most manufacturers now only make 'limited releases' because there are enough fools who buy before seeing the model.. and then comes the day of thruth: a dreadfull model, but hey, who cares, it's already been paid for.

Don't get me wrong, i'm just being ironic here, not cynical.

There are enough great models around to make us happy. Just take your time to look for them.

It's always sad to see things go bad for a manufacturer of name and fame...but that's life!

To end with a positive note: the Herpa AN-2 and Viscount moulds in 1:200 scale are the best you can get.
Sabena747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #57
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabena747 View Post
I've started collecting in 2003. I started with 1:500 becuse it was easily accessible besides the internet and the Herpa moulds were improving an offered a great value for the price.

I then started 1:400 due to the raising prices and the continuous lack of detail on 1:500 stuff.

About a year ago Herpa lost it: bad moulds and high prices. Reason: Herpa is not interested in the collector. They had the best A340-600, Concorde and 737-600 mould in 1:400 and that is exactly the scale they dropped. Why? Because 80% of their income comes from LH, who isn't interested in the collector either but only in inflight toys. It's as simple as that. Kids want rolling wheels, collectors want details: so Herpa brings on the roling wheels.

Apart from a few good moulds (mostly Russians) it is getting worse. The good 747 mould they had is now traded for a mould that is below par. The baby-busses have droopy noses and upswept wings, the A-330s now have pointed noses etc. Reason: the great Hogan moulds (probably to expensive) are traded for third rate moulds from dubious factories.

As much as i deplore it, it won't change because for Herpa, we are just 'collectors' and collectors want details and perfect planes, on which Herpa doesn't make money!

One thing goes for 1:500, 1:200 and 1:400: most manufacturers now only make 'limited releases' because there are enough fools who buy before seeing the model.. and then comes the day of thruth: a dreadfull model, but hey, who cares, it's already been paid for.

There are enough great models around to make us happy. Just take your time to look for them.

It's always sad to see things go bad for a manufacturer of name and fame...but that's life!

To end with a positive note: the Herpa AN-2 and Viscount moulds in 1:200 scale are the best you can get.
Well said, good analysis of the problem. Herpa doesn't care to the customers, to his clients, to the people who spend a lot of money buying poor quality models and almost always the same models and airlines.

Charter airlines lover
Old 06-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #58
RJ Captain

SalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributorSalmonellaMD is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital View Post
I really doubt that keeping off the forums is going to make any difference at all. Its questionable if Herpa even aware of the existance of these forums that you mentioned, let alone if they even check them on a regular enough basis.

It would make a lot more sense if everyone just up and wrote a one paragraph letter to herpa and emailed that off.

The problem is everyone wants something else, and some of it isnt feasible. If we ran herpa, it would colapse in weeks.

We cant go to herpa with all our wishlists and demand they make the type of models we want and expect anything serious to come out of it. Its okay to have a wishlist, its okay to have preferences, but thats something thats subjective. Everybody collects something different, we will just have to wait for the models we want to be released, however long that takes.

We have to face that there is no clear definition of models "We" want. "We" cant go to herpa and say "We" want such and such models made, because "We" all want different ones produced. And if "We" do some research "We" might be dissapointed because "We" might figure out that "We" might not even want models "We" think "We" want. "We" might screw ourselves over because the models "We" wanted might never get produced because "We" wanted somthing else, and "We" got the upper hand.

Herpa has the great responsibility of trying to please "Us", and stay in business doing so, which is about as diffucult a task as can be. Just because they have been doing a worse than usual job of it lately, coupled with the fact that other manufacturers have suddenly dissapeared, is just making us frustrated.

What we can ask, is somthing that most everyone here agrees with. That is quality assurement. By this I mean the moulds that are currently in use. I think we can successfully team up against the use of inferior moulds. Herpa should not use moulds of which there are better versious of available, which they should have access too. I'm not sure how to do that, but thats the place to start.

If we really expect to change anthing than we need to agree on a messege, second we need to get that messege to herpa, then push it home until they do somthing about it.
You said it yourself - WE ALL want QUALITY!

As far as different airlines or aircraft types are concerned, it is true that "we" can mean a lot of different groups. But as far as quality assurance is concerned, all of us want it.

But even that, Herpa is not willing to listen to.
SalmonellaMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #59
Fleet Builder

Nobody's ever going to be happy with this hobby, and that's the bottom line. One person loves British Airways, and the next person loves Ryanair (Although, I wouldn't be able to understand why. LOL). One person likes the detail of 1/500, but the next guy doesn't. What a lot of people haven't acknowledged is that detailing a 1/500 model like a 1/200 is impossible. If that's the detail and quality you want, then 1/500 isn't for you. StarJets was the best at detailing crap all the way down to little red arrows and black marks on the wings and fuselages. That's expensive to do, people. Herpa has made some with StarJets level detail only to turn around and make some that were lacking. There are enough crappy molds in other scales from other companies, too, you know? This isn't just a Herpa problem. If this were a bigger hobby, and was really important to more people than us, then they might, might, (one more time) might pay attention to our drivel. Until then, I'd really like to be able to get on Wings900, read people's stories, swap experiences, get pointers on building stuff, add stuff to my collection list, and be able to see what's coming out rather than reading about someone complaining and whining about Herpa not making them happy. It's always constant complaining week after week about Herpa not making a plane they wanted, or maybe an engine was a little too plump. Who cares? That's just how it is. They don't do it on purpose. There's only so much accuracy that can be achieved when stuff gets this small. I don't hate anybody on this site, or in this post in particular, but if you want to complain (and you think it will help; which it won't) then let's start our letter writing campaign to Herpa. Until then, folks, we're all complaining to one another, and not to the proper people. Until then, don't be all nerdy by telling people that the tailfin on a plane is the wrong angle by a millimeter. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Then again, if you don't buy the "garbage" many on this site claims Herpa makes, then they're gonna stop making these planes after a while. Hell, I think that out of all the products Herpa makes, these planes are more trouble to them than the cars and trucks they produce (which are actually pretty damned good, I might add). Oh, and don't send me death threats over anything I say. LOL.

Last edited by Jakfuki; 06-23-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #60
Fleet Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabena747 View Post

Ditto. That's just the way it is. If people waant absolute perfection, then go buy 1:1 scale. Until then, we have Herpa (and others).

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: