Herpa NGII and Starjets 747 moulds - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:500 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
First Officer

B747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobby
Herpa NGII and Starjets 747 moulds

Dear Friends,
The current Herpa 747 mould is generally considered far from good. When compared to the NGI believed to be the best ever, it looks bad. Some of us long the Starjets mould and admire it for good quality. When we look at the NGI, it is markedly different from the current NGII. However, my question is, do you not think that the criticized Netmodels/Sky500/Herpa NGII mould looks very similar to the Starjets one? See yourself.

741/742

B747-enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Herpa NGII and Starjets 747 moulds

Very similar my friend. Looking at your beautiful pics they seem very similar, but i also trust in your expertise on B747 models and moulds.

Leisure airlines lover
Desperately needing: Blue Panorama B737W, neos B737 MAX8/B737W, easyJet A320neo/A321neo, Blue Air B737 MAX8/B737W, Enter Air B737 MAX8/B737W, Malta Air B737 MAX8, Ryanair B737 MAX8, Buzz B737 MAX8, Volotea A320/A319, Laudamotion A320, AlbaStar B737W, Jet2holidays B737W/B757W, ITA Airways A319, Vueling A319, TAP A319, Ukraine International B737W, SkyUp B737W, PLAY A321, Air Serbia A319, SkyExpress A320neo, Ural Airlines A320, Nordwind A321/B737W, Nordstar B737W, Rossiya A319/A320/B737W, Pobeda B737W, UTAir B737W, Kenya Airways B737W, Ethiopian Airlines B737 MAX8, Air Arabia A320, FlyOne A320, Tus Airways A320, LATAM A320, Avianca A320, Aerolineas Argentinas B737W, Southwest B737 MAX8/B737W, Volaris A319/A320, Nouvelair A320, SATA Dash 8-400, Air Europa B737W, Israir A320, JetTime B737-700WL.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

The are the same mould

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

i'm preparing a big post, hold on
Old 01-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #5
Master ATP Captain

hikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast iconhikouki is a diecast icon

If I'm not mistaken, Herpa's current 747 moulds are the old Netmodels.

To me, the best 741/742 moulds were from BigBird. 743 and 744 might be a toss-up between SJ/IF vs Herpa.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:43 PM   #6
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

They are indeed similar.
However, the mould used by Netmodels, Sky500 and Herpa (NGII) have a few different aspects, which bother me a lot!

For a comparison, take a look at this RAM B747-400 (Starjets) and this KLM B747-400 (Herpa NGII)

Starjets B747-400:
StarJets 1:500 Royal Air Maroc B 747-428 - Wings900 ID# 7091

Herpa NGII B747-400:
Herpa 1:500 KLM Royal Dutch Airlines B 747-406 - Wings900 ID# 37169

I'll point out what I like and what I don't like between 3 moulds: Herpa's NG1 (also used by Hogan), Herpa's NG2 (Sky500 and Netmodels) and Starjets.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***LANDING GEARS***

Starjets 747 have very nice landing gears, just like Herpa NGI mould. However, the gears used by Herpa NGII are simply pathetic. They are made of metal, which isn't too good to create small details. The wheels are supposed to roll but they sometimes don't. The wheel hubs are sometimes too small because they look like a pin, placed to allow the wheels to roll.

The nose gear of the Herpa NGII is sometimes too long, giving the model a nose-up attitude. I also think the wheels are too small sometimes.

Herpa NG1 landing gears were great. Detailed nose gear, nice tire size, bogeys close to each other just like the real 747. They were made of plastic and were very nicely designed. The only drawback was the length. On early NGI models (NWA, Air Canada, KLM PH-BFI, for example), the nose gear was too short. This was later corrected on newer NGI versions (Qantas, JAL). The main gears could also be shorter.

Starjets landing gear is also great, the only drawback for me is the nose gear, which could be more detailed. And also, it's inclined forward sometimes (A320, MD-11 style) while it should be straight.

Herpa NG2 have a clumsy landing gear! Gear structures look squared, tires look too small, bogeys are too far from each other, gears are sometimes crooked... anyway, I find this to be totally awful.

Herpa NG1 and Starjets have great gears: clean structure, nice big tires, bogeys close to each other.

These are the main landing gears of the real 747.
Starjets and Herpa NG1 moulds have fine gears, now compare the real 747 gears and the NG2 gears
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._of_747-8F.jpg

NOTE: For some reason, this only Qantas 747 from Herpa, which debuted the NGII mould for the German manufacturer, had nice gears. I think these gears look like Starjets or early Netmodels...

Herpa 1:500 Qantas Airways B 747-438 - Wings900 ID# 22622

If only all NGII had these gears...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***NOSE SECTION, NOSE GEAR, GEAR DOORS***

I've added this 5 Stars model as a bonus, because it has one of the most well detailed 747 nose gears i've seen. I like it a lot. IF500 and BigBird are also great. But let's focus on Starjets x Herpa.

I think the front section of Herpa NGII is too pointy! It's ok in some models, but in some other models it's really ugly. Maybe it's the angle of the pic...
Starjets seems to be fine. Herpa NGI is also fine for me.

Nose gear doors: Starjets have them big, they would look much better trimmed a bit.
Same goes to early Herpa NGII models. It seems that Herpa reduced the size of the nose gear doors for the NGII models (Emirates SkyCargo, for example). Herpa NGI had the perfect size in my opinion (at this pic, 5 Stars too!).

Nose gears: Starjets is totally underdetailed, very poor nose gear. It's poor because it lacks details, but the tire and wheelhub size are great and so is the gear leg.
Herpa NGII is a total disaster IMHO. Too small wheelhubs make the model look poor (Aero500 777 suffers the same problem). The gear is underdetailed too and sometimes is too long.
Herpa NGI and 5 Stars are the best ones in this pic, by far!

This pic just shows me how poor the NGII nose gear is. Totally amateur...

Cockpit windows: Starjets seem to place them sometimes too low. Their mould should also have a smoother "forehead" (part right above the cockpit). Herpa NGI is great in my opinion. Herpa NGII and Sky500 also have a nice cockpit placement, but Netmodels had a terrible placement and always placed them too high. Of course, this is a printing problem, not related to the mould.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***UPPER DECK***

Seems to be fine on the three moulds, so nothing to say here!
Can't say the same to IF500 and BigBird (747-300/400), but that's not the case in this discussion!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***ENGINES***

PW JT9D (used on B747-100/200/300/SP) are amazing on Herpa NGI.
I believe Sérgio is the perfect man to say perfectly the details of each engine, but this is my opinion...

The JT9D used by Starjets seems to be the same as the one used by Herpa NGII.
I think it's not so well done, looks a bit round to me, not sure. I don't mind a lot, but I prefer NGI in this case. NGI also seem to be wider...

Rolls Royce models for B747 Classics: VERY nice on Sky500/NGII mould, very poor for Herpa NGI.

GE CF6 engine (classics): On early NG1 747-200 models with GE engines, Herpa used a poor looking engine, looking like a OG JT9D engine (Alitalia I-DEMY, for example). On late NG1 B747-200 models, the engine seem to be the same GE used for 744.
Starjets have a nice GE engine for 747 Classic.
BONUS: Hogan seems to use a nice GE engine for B747-200. I've never seen this before, I thought this was the same engine as early NGI GE engine but the bottom of the engine is rounded just like the real GE CF6 of 747-200.
Herpa NGII/Netmodels also use the same GE engine for B747 classic and B747-400. And it looks veeery poor in my opinion. Exhaust too thin!

Boeing 747-400 engines!

Herpa NG1: all engines look fine to me, shape-wise. However, they are under-detailed. The RR engine could be hollow at the end, for example. The rear looks really bad.
PW engines could have a longer exhaust cone, but not too long (not like NGII B767-300).
GE is fine IMHO. Not perfect but not bad either.

Sky500/Herpa NGII is a total disaster for PW and GE engines. They use GE for PW The engine exhaust cone is simply too thin. Terrible!
Their RR engines look fine, but also isn't hollow at the end. Same problem as Herpa NGI.

Starjets early GE engines were nicely shaped but were oversized. Really a shame. But thankfully they corrected this and created the best 747-400 GE engine mould for 1:500 with correct size, shape and great details! But the problem is: they don't have PW engines and use GE as a PW just like Sky500.
And they don't have a RR engine

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***WING-FUSELAGE JOINT***

Herpa NG1 have a conventional insertion of the wings on the fuselage. Unfortunately it isn't laterally inserted. This means that there's a little vertical seamline right below the wingroot. I really doesn't bother me at all.
The center fuel tank of the 747 is well done. I like it this way.

Herpa NG2/Sky500/Netmodels... disaster. Total disaster. What is this? A frog's vocal sac?! The seam is SCREAMINGLY visible, and is deep, it's so damn visible. The center tank is too big, and sometimes we don't know when the wing begins and the tank ends (Air Bridge Cargo VP-BIM, for example).
It's awful. Probably the worst aspect of NGII, together with engines and gears.
To make it even worse, Herpa is having a terrible attitude of painting over the wing. For example: check out this Transaero 747.
Look how the blue livery on the belly goes over the wing. It should actually go straight and not over the wing. This is Herpa's fault, not a mould related fault, but I guess the wingbox plays a role.
http://herpa.online/1864/-528818-tra...ht-of-hope.jpg

Starjets also have a similar structure as NGII, however, it's muuuuuch better.
The seam is still visible but is smoother and the fuel tank is also smoother at the correct size.

While Starjets looks much better than NGII, I still think this seam is bad, and NGI is by far the best one. Now we need a 747 with laterally inserted wings! Oh wait, we have the B747-8... why not update the other 747s moulds, Herpa and Sky500?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***TAIL***

Herpa NGI have a really accurate tail.
Rudder isn't double slotted and everything looks fine.

NGII/Starjets/Netmodels/Sky500 tail is the same.
It's not bad, but could be better. The rudder shouldn't be double slotted, that feature is present only on the 747SP.
The tail could also be a little wider. I feel it's too thin when compared to NGI, which looks more like the real 747 tail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***SUMMING UP***
My highlights and cons about these three moulds

Starjets (late version)

- great gears
- great GE engines, best ones
- PW JT9D engines could be improved
- nice mould
- tail could be better, still OK
- nose gear and gear doors could be much better, but still OK
- no PW or RR engine for 747-400, that's badddddd
- cockpit windows could have a little improvement
- winglets OK
- wingbox OK, but could be better

Herpa NGII / Sky500 / Netmodels

- awful gears
- too pointy nose
- awful GE engines
- no PW engines
- RR engines OK (747-400)
- RR engines amazing (747 Classic)
- ugly wingbox
- winglets OK
- PW JT9D engines could be improved
- tail could be improved, just like Starjets
- Cockpit windows OK for Herpa, awfully high for Netmodels, OK for Sky500

Herpa NGI

- great gears
- great nose
- great nose doors
- nice engines, RR could be much improved
- wingflex ugly, too high
- nose down attitude could be corrected in some models
- Cockpit windows could be improved in some models
- Best tail
- best wingbox (wing-fuselage joint)
- winglets too long/pointy, could be improved

Overall, Starjets is the best in my opinion, with Herpa NGI in a close second... and Herpa NGII could go to hell

woooooow, that was long! I'm tired" But I hope this helps.

Most of the pics are from Altinomh, Charter and Michal (pooooooooooohaty), so thanks guys for posting these pics !

Last edited by LeoMuse747; 01-10-2017 at 11:59 PM.
LeoMuse747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 AM   #7
First Officer

B747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobbyB747-enthusiast is a legend of the hobby

Thank you, Leo, for this very delailed review. It makes me understand that, although the NGII and Starjets moulds are somehow similar, many tiny details decide that in fact they are considerably different and the old good Starjets design prevails. Moreover, Starjets have been defunct for a long time. Quality standards are higher now so even if NGII were the same as SJ, it would not be modern now.
Thanks for other replies, too.
BTW, Starjets did use RR engines in this Qantas 744:

https://www.wings900.com/modeldatabas...view-2057.html

Last edited by B747-enthusiast; 01-11-2017 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:06 AM   #8
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

Leo you're awesome

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:12 AM   #9
Fly high and proud !

mikdan is an excellent contributormikdan is an excellent contributormikdan is an excellent contributormikdan is an excellent contributormikdan is an excellent contributormikdan is an excellent contributormikdan is an excellent contributormikdan is an excellent contributormikdan is an excellent contributormikdan is an excellent contributormikdan is an excellent contributor

Leo, AMEN.

This is simply a master class.
mikdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
Selfie with bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747-enthusiast View Post
Thank you, Leo, for this very delailed review. It makes me understand that, although the NGII and Starjets moulds are somehow similar, many tiny details decide that in fact they are considerably different and the old good Starjets design prevails. Moreover, Starjets have been defunct for a long time. Quality standards are higher now so even if NGII were the same as SJ, it would not be modern now.
Thanks for other replies, too.
BTW, Starjets did use RR engines in this Qantas 744:

StarJets 1:500 Qantas Airways B 747-438 - Wings900 ID# 2057
Yes, both NGII and Starjets have similarities but they're different in a few details!
One is simply an improved version of the other, being the GE 747-400 from Starjets the best!

Thanks for that, I totally missed that model!
Soooo Starjets have a RR 747-400! That Minion can go home then...
Good for Starjets, another score to them. Now if only they also had PW engines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingslover View Post
Leo you're awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikdan View Post
Leo, AMEN.

This is simply a master class.

Thanks guys!
Being a 747 lover made me rather picky about the models
What we really need is a comeback of the late Starjets mould... it would be perfect.
Our only option right now is buying donor Starjets for custom models

Last edited by LeoMuse747; 01-11-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #11
First Officer

I am afraid the SJ mould, if still somewhere exists, may be worn out. The same happened to the Bigbird 744 mould. When used by BB, it was much better than when after a few years it was inherited by IF500. I prefer the Cathay Pacific model to the Lufthansa plane:

BigBird 1:500 Cathay Pacific B 747-467 - Wings900 ID# 6385

Inflight500 1:500 Lufthansa B 747-430 - Wings900 ID# 17416

The seams are bigger in the latter.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #12
Selfie with bros

Quote:
I am afraid the SJ mould, if still somewhere exists, may be worn out. The same happened to the Bigbird 744 mould. When used by BB, it was much better than when after a few years it was inherited by IF500. I prefer the Cathay Pacific model to the Lufthansa plane:

BigBird 1:500 Cathay Pacific B 747-467 - Wings900 ID# 6385

Inflight500 1:500 Lufthansa B 747-430 - Wings900 ID# 17416

The seams are bigger in the latter.
This is why I think Herpa (they're the most active manufacturer in 1:500, that's why i'm choosing them, but any other manufacturer is also much welcome) should develop a new 747 mould. They could create it from the B747-8 mould, using it as a base.

Herpa is releasing a lot of 747s, I wonder when this NGII mould will be worn out.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
First Officer

If this NGII mould was previously used by Netmodels and Sky500, it is no longer new and should be worn out soon. However, Herpa may discontinue B 747 100-400 models. There will not be many original aircraft around in a few years.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #14
Selfie with bros

Quote:
If this NGII mould was previously used by Netmodels and Sky500, it is no longer new and should be worn out soon. However, Herpa may discontinue B 747 100-400 models. There will not be many original aircraft around in a few years.
Yes, I also fear that... But I guess there are many other cargo 747-400s waiting to be released, for example...

Today I messed around using Photoshop and I tried to create a B747-400 using the Herpa B747-8 mould and the wings of a B747-400 in NGI mould (cound't find a pic of a Starjets 747 at the right angle).

I really like the result, this is what the perfect 747 would look to me!
Better than this, only with Starjets GE engines and wings (NGI have too much wingflex)!

In my opinion:

- Perfect cockpit window size, shape and placement
- Perfect nose (This particular LH 748 seems to have a perfect round nose, other B747-8 seem to be a bit pointy)
- Perfect gears (B747-8 needs a shorter nose gear though)
- great engines (Starjets GE engines are even better)
- wonderful wingbox
- perfect tail section

Last edited by LeoMuse747; 01-12-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #15
First Officer

Well done!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: