Scales - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:400 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
Earning My Wings

DEXTER is flying under the radar
Scales

Any thoughts of the merits of 1/600 scale,is it as good as 1/400 in the quality of models,as it would be a space saver.
DEXTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
Master ATP Captain

ThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEXTER View Post
Any thoughts of the merits of 1/600 scale,is it as good as 1/400 in the quality of models,as it would be a space saver.
Usually the bigger the scale, the greater the detail. 1/600 certainly does have a lot to offer with the releases and can you save you space as you have mentioned. I think most people, or at least I did, started collecting 1/600 before any other scale. 1/500 also offers many releases that 1/400 doesn't offer and vice versa. I collect 1/400 and I am generally happy to keep collecting 1/400 without looking back at 1/500 or 1/600.

'He ain't heavy, he's my brother'
ThomsonAirways737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
UK Model Retailer

herpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobbyherpacollectorUK is a legend of the hobby

I'd definitely stick with 1/400, far superior detail. Otherwise, if space is a huge issue, go with 1/500 as I do like those ones a lot too.

Herpa, Hogan, Sky500, Inflight500, Phoenix, JC Wings and Gemini Jets stockist.
herpacollectorUK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
Masur

Qupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributor

If you want to collect 1:400: Go for mostly Gemini Jets for more american models and Phoenix models for mostly Asian Models

If you want to collect 1:500: Go to Herpa they have the most 1:500 models and have more European models.
Qupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:08 AM   #5
RJ Captain

RStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast icon

Did you really mean 1:600 or 1:500?

1:600 has been an effectively dead scale since about 2012 when Schuco seemed to lose interest six years after their purchase of the bankrupt Schabak. The models do not compare at all in comparison to modern 1:500 and certainly not 1:400 though I would argue they are better than early 1:500s.

Tampo printing only came to 1:600 scale after 2000 which means that about 95% of all models released pre-date this and are decaled - with highly variable quality.

I have a vast 1:600 collection (about 1700 models) but switched to 1:400 and the two are not really comparable. Schuco did produce some much nicer moulds and Herpa Magic even got in on the scale for a while however since 2012 the new Schuco moulds have been awful and the number of releases tiny.

Check out www.scale600.com for more details about the scale. Despite this I love 1:600 and my schabaks but considering their price range they can hardly have been expected to compete with 1:400s (during the 90s they costs 2-5 quid). Whatever they were pioneers as Schabak had been making them since 1982 long before modern scales came about.

http://yesterdaysairlines.weebly.com
RStretton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:15 AM   #6
RJ Captain

RStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast iconRStretton is a diecast icon

Incidentally - this is probably the best 1:600 Scale mould ever made. The Schuco Schabak Type V 747-400 with Tampo printing. This mould IS NOT in use anymore and has been replaced by a much inferior version.

Its probably better than Phoenix's 1:400 747-400 !!!

British Airways Boeing 747-436 by rstretton, on Flickr

http://yesterdaysairlines.weebly.com
RStretton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
Earning My Wings

DEXTER is flying under the radar

Thanks for the advice,really interesting about quality and printing.
DEXTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: