3D Printing & 1/400 Scale - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:400 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
RJ Captain

3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor
3D Printing & 1/400 Scale

Hi Everyone,
We are currently building a series of aircraft for the 1/500 forum members. We ran a poll of 15 aircraft to see which ones to build first and we have now built the first 3 planes. These are the SAAB 2000, the BAE 146 (100, 200 & 300) and today we have finished the Gulfstream G550. We are building the planes to be customisable so they all come in parts ready for people to finish them with decals or paint. We have built the aircraft for the very limits of the 3D Printing material, called Frosted Ultra Detail. Once we have built the aircrafts for 1/500 scale we can easily scale up to 1/400 scale if members of this forum wanted them.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

3DPrinting
3DPrinting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Line Service Technician

Southwest&Blue is a top dogSouthwest&Blue is a top dogSouthwest&Blue is a top dogSouthwest&Blue is a top dogSouthwest&Blue is a top dogSouthwest&Blue is a top dogSouthwest&Blue is a top dogSouthwest&Blue is a top dogSouthwest&Blue is a top dogSouthwest&Blue is a top dogSouthwest&Blue is a top dog
Re: 3D Printing & 1/400 Scale

I'd love to have some 400s.
Southwest&Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
RJ Captain

3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor
1/500 Aircraft Build List:

1 SAAB 2000
2 BAE 146
3 Gulfstream G550
4 Beech 1900D
5 Bombardier Learjet 45
6 Dassault Falcon 7x
7 Embraer Legacy 600
8 Beechcraft King Air 350
9 Cessna 172 Skyhawk
10 Dassault Falcon 2000
11 Bombardier Challenger 604
12 Cessna Grand Caravan
13 Cessna Citation X
14 Embraer Phenom 300
15 Pilatus PC-12

Last edited by 3DPrinting; 12-26-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
RJ Captain

We have now built the following aircraft, please let me know if anyone wants these made available for 1/400 scale.

1 SAAB 2000
2 BAE 146
3 Gulfstream G550
Old 12-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
RJ Captain

Hi Everyone,
Here is a link to the current 1/500 scale models that we have for sale. As you can see we offer different formats for each plane. We offer it as a single model or as a pair for all aircraft. For the BAE 146, as there was three variations, we have offered the standard single or double but also pairs of different sizes. We would be able to offer all of the same groupings for 1/400. The price will be higher for the 1/400 scale models as it will cost more to print the models due to their larger size. If there is an interest in these first three planes we will scale them for 1/400 and then see what the costs will be.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Spee...on=1%2F500&s=0
Old 12-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
RJ Captain

For those of you that are not familiar with 3D Printing, the materials or the process can i suggest you have a look at the 3DPrinting forum thread under 1/500 Discussions as I have talked it all through with the 1/500 forum members. If there is anything still unclear please feel free to ask me.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
RJ Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest&Blue View Post
I'd love to have some 400s.
Ok great, would you like any of the first three models we have built made available fro 1/400 scale?
Old 12-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Obsessed with United

United737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DPrinting View Post
Ok great, would you like any of the first three models we have built made available fro 1/400 scale?
I'm okay with all of them!

Types I fly: C-17 Globemaster, MC-130H Combat Talon II
United737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
RJ Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by United737 View Post
I'm okay with all of them!
That's great, with the BAE 146, we have three sizes (100, 200 & 300). Was there one in particular you wanted?
Old 12-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Flight Instructor

DeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dog

I would be most interested in the G550. However to be honest, I am not sure about the price. Even at the 1:500 price, this is how much I pay for a painted, detailed, diecast 1:400 model done in the color scheme I want. And I am new to custom making models on a small scale, so for the price and work I am not sure it would be worth it for me.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
RJ Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFan View Post
I would be most interested in the G550. However to be honest, I am not sure about the price. Even at the 1:500 price, this is how much I pay for a painted, detailed, diecast 1:400 model done in the color scheme I want. And I am new to custom making models on a small scale, so for the price and work I am not sure it would be worth it for me.
Hi DeltaFan,
I appreciate that Herpa are able to produce full diecast tamp printed models for less than us and for them to be able to do this they create a batch of approximately 10,000 units so they are able to work with economies of scale. We are offering our models with an expected sale of about 20-30 units each in total so in order to cover our modelling costs as well as the printing costs we need to offer them for sale at a higher price than you would normally pay. We are only offering aircraft that the big companies are not currently making, and this is likely to be that there is not enough demand for them. We are trying to bridge the gap between what is available from the big companies and what people feel are missing from their collections. To give you an idea, a single aircraft will cost more than €12 to print (we do not print them, this is done by others) so for a single aircraft we offer them for stale for €20, only €8 is our markup. The printing company also takes 3.5% of the sale of all sales so our markup is €8 minus 3.5%. As you can see we are not working on large markups and the large cost of each order is in the printing cost. I hope this helps explain why we have to offer the models as the cost we can. It is also worth noting that the printing company we are using (Shapeways) are the cheapest (but ironically also the best) anywhere in the world at the minute so we are working to the lowest we can for these models.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Flight Instructor

DeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dogDeltaFan is a top dog

Thank you for your response. And I do understand your position as I have had to order small quantities of custom items for fundraisers. I look forward to seeing the digital model of the G550 and will keep it in mind when I have more time (and money) on my hands to customize it. Do you think you could ever make these models with a simple window decal and colored cheat line/stripe down the side some day? If you could do that and sell to retailers, I am sure that the demand would be in the hundreds for a rare item like a private jet in 1:400 scale. Also, have you brought up this topic on wings900 sister site Diecastaircraftforum.com? There are far more 1:400 scale collectors there. But just as a warning, they are a little more wild over there and you could quickly get a thread with hundreds of requests So, you might want to tell them what you have made first before asking what they want.

Thank you,
DeltaFan
Old 12-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
JeffinM***

cameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributor

So the question is again. What are they going to cost in USD and what is s&h too? If I wanted either the 146 or the G550 would I have to give you the reg and livery or are you going to supply one for each? I realize that the G550 were not in any airlines fleet. Only perhaps Netjets etc.
cameraman1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
RJ Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFan View Post
Thank you for your response. And I do understand your position as I have had to order small quantities of custom items for fundraisers. I look forward to seeing the digital model of the G550 and will keep it in mind when I have more time (and money) on my hands to customize it. Do you think you could ever make these models with a simple window decal and colored cheat line/stripe down the side some day? If you could do that and sell to retailers, I am sure that the demand would be in the hundreds for a rare item like a private jet in 1:400 scale. Also, have you brought up this topic on wings900 sister site Diecastaircraftforum.com? There are far more 1:400 scale collectors there. But just as a warning, they are a little more wild over there and you could quickly get a thread with hundreds of requests So, you might want to tell them what you have made first before asking what they want.

Thank you,
DeltaFan
Hi DeltaFan,
I am talking to one of the 1/500 forum members who has bought several of the SAAB 2000's to decal himself. I am hoping we can ask him to provide decals for all of our models as its not something we can do yet. Thanks for the link to the other site, we are slowly getting used to this method of contacting potential customers. Can you explain what you mean by the cheat line?
Old 12-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
RJ Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman1031 View Post
So the question is again. What are they going to cost in USD and what is s&h too? If I wanted either the 146 or the G550 would I have to give you the reg and livery or are you going to supply one for each? I realize that the G550 were not in any airlines fleet. Only perhaps Netjets etc.
Hi,
The cost in USD can be found by following the link in my previous post and clicking on the 'order now' button and the site auto generates the cost including postage to anywhere in the world. This is all set by them and I have no control over that. For the US there are three postage options to choose from. With regards liveries, we are currently unable to provide any for these models, we are just starting in this model aircraft world and learning what it is everyone wants. We are looking into ways to providing decals but its not something we can just yet.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: