3D Printing & 1/400 Scale - Page 11 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > 1:400 Scale Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-23-2015, 01:37 AM   #151
Earning My Wings

Ngineer is flying under the radar
Re: 3D Printing & 1/400 Scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antesyd View Post
Maybe you can make a "train" With 3-4 cart and a tractor?

//Antesyd
I 've been thinking about that too. The main problem there is the towbars. They will be very fragile. I'll give it a try.
Ngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #152
ATP Captain

Antesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast icon

Interesting.
There are always ways around problems...

//Antesyd

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” – - Albert Einstein

The latest arrivals:
*Herpa Norwegian, United, Qatar and China Southern B787, 1:500
*Herpa BA A380, 1:500
*Sky500 Cebu Pacific A330 1:500

Antesyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #153
Earning My Wings

Here are two pics of the unpainted models. FUD is not easy to take a pic of since it's translucent.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:13 AM   #154
RJ Second Officer

davemodels is getting starteddavemodels is getting starteddavemodels is getting started

They look so nice
davemodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #155
VC-10 Fan

Harry_Bird is a diecast iconHarry_Bird is a diecast iconHarry_Bird is a diecast iconHarry_Bird is a diecast iconHarry_Bird is a diecast iconHarry_Bird is a diecast iconHarry_Bird is a diecast iconHarry_Bird is a diecast iconHarry_Bird is a diecast iconHarry_Bird is a diecast iconHarry_Bird is a diecast icon

They look great!
Harry_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #156
Earning My Wings

ndwiggins is flying under the radar

Hi all,

I want to make custom 1:400 aircraft, the Boeing SST, Sonic Cruiser, Airbus and EADS concepts, and even my own designs. What type of 3D printer should I look into for this? I would most likely design square holes for where the gear would go, and find out how to buy from Gemini Jets or another manufacturer some replacement gear and glue them into my customs, as printing the gear would probably not be as accurate or stable. Is this possible? I saw some custom Boeing 2707 aircraft from a while ago and the designers were taking orders, would that be possible on here if I designed and printed these custom aircraft?

The NEA 3D looks really nice, it is currently in the production phase and won't be shipped out until November. I wanted to start a lot sooner than that, but maybe it would be wiser to wait for this one, as it allows for easy upgrades in the future, and the price isn't too bad for the model I wanted. I'd be needing a build area of 25cm length or height wise in order to make the 2707, which is the longest aircraft I'd ever make, as most models would be much shorter than that. Even a stretched A380 would be less than 18cm.

Thanks for your help,

Nic

Last edited by ndwiggins; 07-13-2015 at 07:04 AM.
ndwiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #157
Earning My Wings

Do you plan on doing a lot of 3D printing, or just for personal use? A 3D printer is fairly expensive. The market evolves very quickly. The basic printers probably don't have the level of detail you need. You could consider designing the part and have it printed by Shapeways or iMaterialise or similar services. With those services you outsource the entire printing process, and even sales of your models if you want to.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:20 AM   #158
RJ Captain

3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngineer View Post
Do you plan on doing a lot of 3D printing, or just for personal use? A 3D printer is fairly expensive. The market evolves very quickly. The basic printers probably don't have the level of detail you need. You could consider designing the part and have it printed by Shapeways or iMaterialise or similar services. With those services you outsource the entire printing process, and even sales of your models if you want to.
I agree with Ngineer, the technology is moving so fast its madness to buy a decent 3D Printer at the moment as its out of date within 6-8 months. If you can afford a real printer then get the ProJet 3500 HDMax, otherwise the small sub $10,000 printers are all filament based printers which has low resolution and low detail level. For small models you need an SLS based technology (think of resin and UV lasers).
Old 11-01-2015, 03:52 AM   #159
RJ Captain

3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor3DPrinting is a good contributor
50% Off

Hi Everyone,
We have been looking at the sales of the model aircraft and we are confident that we can print everything we make 50% cheaper (but in the same high quality) if we buy our own printer. As you all already know all of our model aircraft are currently for sale on Shapeways:

Land, Air & Sea by Speed - Shapeways Shops

While its convenient for us to work with shapeways and they are the cheapest commercial printing company on the planet, we think that if we buy our own printer we can offer everyone a less expensive product.

Before we are going to commit to buying a printer we wanted to see if people would be interested in ordering more models if they are up to 50% cheaper than shapeways prices?

Please email me your comments and suggestions to adam@inner-leaf.com so we can see if its worth while. What we would like to do if it seems worth our while is to get a series of pre-orders set down so the risk is less for us.

Let me know what everyone thinks and please inform collectors of other scales that this applies to all scales not just 1:500.

Adam
Old 10-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #160
RJ Captain

Christmas Madness

Hi Everyone, As we are approaching Xmas I thought I would adjust all prices for all models on our site

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/printedplanes

I am cutting our markup by 50-75% on every single model in all scales including GSE...basically every model in the shop.

Happy Printing Guys

Adam
Old 03-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #161
Earning My Wings

wildpig is flying under the radar

Can we do a run of 3D print of 1:400 human figure? would be nice to have a few of these next to the models.
wildpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #162
RJ Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpig View Post
Can we do a run of 3D print of 1:400 human figure? would be nice to have a few of these next to the models.
At 4mm each I think it would be too small to try and print.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #163
Earning My Wings

Quote:
If you are 4m tall with 40cm thick arms, you could give it a go...

Bewaren
Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #164
Earning My Wings

wildpig is flying under the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DPrinting View Post
At 4mm each I think it would be too small to try and print.
I thought 3D printing has sub mm resolution? technology not good enough yet? not saying the figure has to be so detailed just need to be good enough...
wildpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #165
RJ Captain

Quote:
I thought 3D printing has sub mm resolution? technology not good enough yet? not saying the figure has to be so detailed just need to be good enough...
Its more a matter of practicality but if you wanted to try this then get in touch and we can quote you for an army of micro men.

Adam@inner-leaf.com

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: