Civilian airliners as target practice? - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Aviation Terminal > 1:1 Civil Aviation

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a top dogFlight fan is a top dogFlight fan is a top dogFlight fan is a top dogFlight fan is a top dogFlight fan is a top dogFlight fan is a top dogFlight fan is a top dogFlight fan is a top dogFlight fan is a top dogFlight fan is a top dog
Civilian airliners as target practice?

Alright, so... I'm currently reading a book about the development and service of the SAAB 32 and have just finished the chapter about the "J 32B in the field." In that chapter it says that F 12 Kalmar used to practice attacks on Aeroflot Tu-104's, flying between Leningrad and Copenhagen, as substitutes for Tu-16's. This got me thinking. The Tu-16 and Tu-104 were after all the same basic aircraft, so that kind of makes sense. But as no modern airliners are developed from military aircraft, is this something that's still being done? And also, how common was this back then?

I'm not just talking about Sweden and the USSR, but in general.
CEO of Moscow Dedovsk International Airport
Flight fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
Earning My Wings

AC787 is flying under the radarAC787 is flying under the radarAC787 is flying under the radar
Re: Civilian airliners as target practice?

Never heard about this before. It makes sense since as you point out the Tu-16 and Tu-104 were similar. I wonder if this was borne out of necessity as the Swedish Air Force had relatively less resources then others?

I'd say this probably isn't very common practice anymore, as any modern air force would want to avoid the insinuation that they were targeting civilian aircraft. Also, there is no such similarity between civil and military aircraft anymore.
AC787 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: